“The best in Eau Claire” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Eau Claire
“The best in Eau Claire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I live in Eau Claire, but we eat out so often when we travel, that we eat usually cook when we are at home. When we do eat out, it has to be special. Until Sweetwaters and Fischer's closed, we almost always chose them for special nights out. Now, we have tried Houligan's, and have been pleased to find it just as good. It is the last nonchain restaurant that not only has good food, but good accoustics. (Most of the other local places have wood floors, brick walls and solid ceilings, so conversation is impossible.) I vote for Houligan's as the #1 restaurant in EC. I was surprised to see 23 others rated ahead of it, but then I realized they are different types of places. Let's just say it is the best upscale place in town.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
“Excellent food & service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit & we were very impressed. My husband ordered the steak & he said it was best he had ever had. I had the salmon & it was excellent. The waitress offered superb service. She was very informative about the menu and a friendly personality. I really liked their house salad as it offered much more then the traditional lettuce with a tomato like other restaurants. It is a bit pricy but you get what you pay for!!! We will be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Coral, Florida
“Go back to the old way”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This place was so much better under the prior ownership. The current attempt to make this into a high class steak restaurant has failed miserably. This used to be such a great place with amazing cheese curd that were a close second to the best ever at the Commerede. This is no different than an Applebees or a TGI Fridays now. Just keep on driving.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin
“A nice treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

For my birthday I wanted steak but wasn't sure where to get it, since Sweetwaters closed down a while ago and that was my go-to place. So we tried Houligans on a whim and YUM! I am sad that I have lived in Eau Claire for 6 years and hadn't eaten here sooner! I now want to eat here all the time, but can't get out with a cheap bill so I'm trying to restrain myself. You could get less expensive food, but that's not what I want! I like the lobster bake for an appetizer and the proscuitto filet with gorgonzola is AMAZING. With an appetizer, the 3 oz is enough for me. The proscuitto is like the best bacon bits you've had in your life. I wouldn't mind if the gorgonzola was less cheese sauce and more pungent like bleu cheese, but it's good. I also enjoy that they always provide a vegetable with the meal (usually green beans almondine when I've been there). For my birthday I went all out and got a ribeye with the caramelized garlic sauce and practically drooled while eating it. If you want steak, this is the place to go. Also, I recently went to Red Lobster because others wanted to go and I found myself thinking I'd much rather than Houligan's lobster bake than anything at Red Lobster! I have to add that the beer list is actually my favorite in town (even over the Firehouse). Lindeman's Framboise, which I've never seen on tap, is one awesome option. They tend to have good dark beers when I've been there (Southern Tier Mokah) as well as some good IPAs. Plus, the house salad is great. Man I need to quit writing about this because it's making me too hungry! The service has always been excellent when I've been there and I also found that if they overestimate the wait time. My only issue is the mediocre, old supper club-ish atmosphere but I can deal with it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Perfect place for your steak craving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

You can always count on a good steak here. We've been coming here for years. There's been one or two times over all those years where the food wasn't what we expected, but it's rare.

I really like getting their 3 oz fillet. You can indulge in an appetizer and a great salad and not be overwhelmed with food. It's ideal for a smaller appetite. They also have a bigger fillet. They also have some specialty steaks with glazes, sauces and additions like mushrooms.

They do have seafood, chicken and pasta, but when we go we usually get steak.

• Visited October 2012