“Came for the waterpark, Stayed for Action City” 3 of 5 stars

Metropolis Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5150 Fairview Drive, Eau Claire, WI 54701   |
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Eau Claire
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Came for the waterpark, Stayed for Action City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and 5 year old son decided to spend a couple days at the Metropolis earlier this week fora little out of town get away. I had initially booked the trip with the intent to spend most of our time in the waterpark... which did not happen.

Upon initial check in we were greeted by a very friendly and efficient young man at the front desk. We had arrived early and he explained that our room was not ready, but we were welcome to spend time in the water park or Action City while we waited for an available room. This wasn't a problem, as we had not yet eaten lunch, so we decided for a quick meal at the hotel restaurant, The Pub. We actually wound up eating 3 meals at The Pub over the course of our stay (lunch, dinner, and then lunch the next day). The food was average each time. Not bad, but not great. The kids meal consisted of mostly friend foods, but my son did not complain. It would have been nice to have seen an option for fruit or vegetables instead of fries with every meal. However, the restaurant was clean, the food was hot, and the staff very friendly.

As a matter of fact, the staff throughout the entire resort was extremely friendly and helpful. As other reviews stated, it seems the majority of the staff is comprised of college aged young adults, but all we encountered made our stay pleasant. Most actually acknowledged our son and made conversation with him, some even bending down to his level to speak with him. Kudos so the staff for being so efficient, friendly, helpful, and welcoming!

Now, the not so good. The waterpark. As other reviews have stated, it was not much to write home about. Even so, the lazy river was nice and relaxing, and the water temperature was perfect - like a warm bath. The problem was the air temperature in the overall pool area. Freezing. The two giant overhead fans created a constant wind which made for a truly unpleasant experience when you were not fully submerged in the water. My son actually had to leave the pool because his lips were blue and he could not stop shivering. I know it was not just us, as other guests throughout the entire pool area were walking around with their arms crossed for warmth, shaking. Added to that, the lifeguard staff was dressed in sweatshirts and fleece jackets, which tells me they staff were cold. Overall, the pool was a huge disappointment.

The Hotel Room: Clean, average decor, comfortable beds. The problem- The location. Our room was on the ground floor in the hallway leading to the waterpark. On one side of us was the vending area with quite possibly the worlds loudest ice machine, which allowed us to hear every single bucket of ice filled throughout the night. Across the hall from our room was the laundry room, which allowed us to hear every single laundry cart as it rolled down the tile floor across from our room. All. Night. Long. Needless to say, if you plan on sleeping while on your stay at the Metorpolis, avoid room 115.

Action City- A pleasant suprise! Our family loved the go-carts, the batting cages, and again, the friendly staff throughou the entire area.

I have to say, if it wasn't for Action City and the wonderful staff the trip would have been a bust.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Farmington, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We decided to spend a couple nights at the Metropolis Resort with our two girls for a quick weekend getaway. We had several issues during our stay which not only lead us to cut our stay short, but will also keep us from coming back or recommending to others.

Our stay had an auspicious start, during check-in the key card machine stopped working so we were not able to get into our room right away. The bill I was shown was also wrong as it had us charged for 4 nights rather than two. The staff at the front desk was friendly and were working hard to fix the issues. We decided to go eat an early supper until they fixed the key card machine which was disappointing to our kids. Upon returning to the Hotel the key card machine was fixed and our room was ready.

The room was average, about what I would expect for the price. It was clean and comfortable. The location of our room was terrible, we were on the first floor next to a staircase and a door leading outside the literally shook the walls every time someone slammed it. Luckily after about 11 pm I didn't hear it anymore.

The water park was also very average, there are 3 slides (tube, body and plunge), a lazy river, a recreation pool and kiddie area. The tube slide was fun. The body slide was perfect for small children because it was so slow that I actually saw a couple kids almost some to a stop on it. (Not enough water possibly). We did not try the plunge slide. The lazy river was okay, it had a few water features that were not working the day we arrived but were working the next day. The water was also warm in the lazy river. The Kiddie area was good, probably the second best feature of the park, although the water in the kiddie area and the recreational pool was COLD. My one daughter had to go use the lazy river to warm up. The coldness of the water in conjunction with the big air movers on the ceiling made using that pool unpleasant.

Continental Breakfast the next morning was a disaster! They were having issues with the power so the food warmers for the hot food kept turning off. The scrambled eggs, syrup and sausage gravy were all ice cold. The hot water for oatmeal was also not working. The staff (one college age girl) chose to basically give up and just put signs up. The food also ran out and we heard many people complaining.

We checked out (one night earlier than planned), and went back to the water park. After a nice morning in the water park we decided to eat at "The Pub". Wow, another disaster... The waitress (and bartender) was rude and disinterested and there was only one for the entire place. We ordered Nachos which were cold and the cheese wasn't even melted. The kids both ordered spaghetti and meatballs which wasn't spaghetti at all but rotini noodles. No big deal but it was also gross and neither kid would eat it. I ordered the Pub Melt and it was over done. My wife's Salad was good. 1 out of 4 is not good. I had to go up to the bar to pay since the waitress was so inattentive.

We did not have a pleasant experience. Eau Claire is a college town and the one thing both my wife and I noticed is we did not see an adult over the age of 25 until the very end of our stay. The place seems to be run by college kids and with that you get good and bad.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not next to a staircase or outside door.
Plainview
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here with our two small boys, ages 4 and 18 months. There were good and bad. the room was very clean and roomy, so we had plenty of space for our family when the kiddos tired out. The waterpark was another story....maybe I just expected more for the 200 dollars we paid.

Now the waterpark:
Pros: I liked the rubber flooring as my toddler did a lot of tumbling. The water was very warm, particularly in the lazy river. I liked having a snack area to purchase refreshments.

Cons: There really isn't much there. The area for young children doesn't have much for them, and what is there is extremely hard concrete. I spent most of my time worrying about the baby slipping and hitting his head. There are a few of the bubblers where the water comes out of the floor and two (that I could see) concrete slides and a couple of small vehicle themed climbers, but that is about it. There is a deeper pool, but there are basketball hoops all around it so you can't really be in any part of it without worrying about getting hit with a ball. There were waterslides but we didn't try them as we have very small children so I can't really say anything about them. The lazy river was nice, but it would have been better if, at one point in the route, you weren't sprayed with water, which came down on you very forcefully. I don't mind those kind of sprays that you may or may not get hit with depending on how your tube goes and can avoid if you don't want to get sprayed by putting your feet down to steer you, but when you have a small child and no way around it except through it, it eliminates one more aspect of the waterpark you can't use if your child doesn't like it or is scared ot it. This particular spray thing went across the entire width of the river and you had no way to avoid it. There also isn't much for privacy with changing if you either aren't staying at the hotel or can't get into your room right away. The women's area is just an open locker room, some toilet stalls, and from what I could see, two shower stalls. Your choices were to change in front of everyone (and the open locker area is right inside the door, so ANYONE coming in sees you), try to do it in a small little bathroom stall, or go in a shower stall which is wet with other peoples' shower water---GROSS! I took my toddler in to change myself and him in one of the showers and it was so wet in there he slipped and hit his head. There was also TONS of rust that you could see through the water.

Like I said, maybe I just expected more

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Heidijobo,
Thank you for the review. We always appreciate honest feed back. I understand that with toddlers it can be stressful always having to keep an eye on them because they don't understand the dangers of water. Once they get a little bit bigger I'm sure they will be able to enjoy some of the other features of the waterpark. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel room and I hope you will be able to stay with us again.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

A parent recommended that we try this place for our hockey team as we were playing a weekend of games in Eau Claire. The staff was excellent. The kids had a great time. They did not use the waterpark too much but loved Action City. The parents were able to sit in Action City and our whole group had dinner together. Many hotels do not offer anything for groups and this was great. We did not have to leave the hotel for food as there was something for everyone. The parents had a great time getting together in the bar and all in all we had a great time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Sandy S,
Thank you for reviewing the resort. We love having sports groups stay with us. We do everything that we can to accommodate the athletes, their siblings and parents. We understand that you have many choices of where to stay and we value your business.

The teams love having the freedom to go to Action City or the Waterpark while the other siblings are able to enjoy their trip as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the team dinner. I bet it was nice to have a place to gather, eat together and visit with each other.

We look forward to your next tournament in Eau Claire!

Best,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Metropolis is a great place to go if you have children. We spent Saturday and Sunday there. It is very family friendly. There are many things to do including bumper cars, bowling, batting cages, an arcade, swimming, go-karts, and more! There are food options on site so you don't have to travel outside the hotel. The decor is very modern and new. If you live in MN, the drive there is so easy, straight down 94 for an hr and 25 minutes and you're there! We plan on returning this summer. I had zero complaints.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I'm glad to hear the little one had a great birthday. Thank you for choosing the Metropolis Resort for the birthday celebration.

Birthdays are always special here and we look forward to many more birthdays with your family!

Best,
cleatus45
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Was a decent enough hotel.
some of my thoughts:
close to the highway, a easy overnighter for us.
great service while we were there. Front desk was great. (everyone actually)
The bar was convienient- but you can't use your "resort" card there.
Bummed about the "resort fee" (like 7 bucks a night or something) they charge when you check in---never mentioned before getting there.
Food in the bar was pretty good- no complaints from the group
Action city had a lot of games, go-carts (pretty fast too!) and other stuff to do to seperate you from your $$$ :)

The waterpark:
Not that big, but big enough for a weekend - max
The water was very warm- am guessing 80+ or so--which i personally like!
They have three waterslides- they were OK
The hotel isnt that big, so the waterpark never got super busy---nice.
clean overall---
The flooring is some sort of rubber-- nice, but slippery. Ironic that the floors may have caused slips and falls (I witnessed a ton of people slipping) but the rubber probably helped when they hit...
The lockeroom was frigging cold--- and i mean COLD. not sure if it styaed that way- only went in there once- If I had to guess, it was in the 60's. went in there to wizz, and was shivvering by they time i got out.

Room:
"modern" look to it- nothing special- two sinks, fridge, micro. good as any....BUT....holy schmoley the rooms are NOT quiet in the least. Slamming doors and people walking by are easily heard. Turn on the room fan to help cover noise-it helps, but still...
Our room was in the hallway between action city and the waterpark....probably didnt help.
Never got why hotels put rooms in the main hallways to their attractions. saw the same in the dells.
Breakfast: not good at all. Will fill the hole, but thats it. everything was cold- even the gravy in the croc pot thing...

Overall, I would go back. couple things they could do to make it better-but not that bad.
Call them and get better pricing. their site wanted 150/night we got it for much less. lucky too cause 150 is a bit much for what you get.

One more thing--- and this is to the Hotel.... For god sakes, you dont charge $5.28 ($5plust TAX) for a video game card. if you must charge tax, which i am not sure you need to do on video game cards, you build it into the cost--- I tried to buy $5 on a game card and they wanted to charge tax....oh he11 no...needless to say, i did not buy the card and we left.

Room Tip: dont get room on first floor---one way goes to waterpark, the other goes to action city....frigging...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have stayed there many times before and it was great! However this time the pool area where the tables are was filthy and gross. The breakfast was a major disappointment as they have cheapened it tremendously. No waffles, no meat, no omlets, sausage gravy was so thick it was impossible to eat. Probably will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Metropolis Resort? Share your experiences!