“Great place for skiing, not for staying” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Valley Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Troy
Alpine Valley Resort
You added Alpine Valley Resort to your Saves list
Alpine Valley Resort, East Troy, WI 53120   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East Troy
chicago
“Great place for skiing, not for staying”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

A beautiful location. A very active environment. The hotel, was not what i expected. It is very outdated and needs major updates. It's definitely overpriced. When i went in to my room, it was missing a desk and other small stuff, but that was fine, because i didn't need it. When i walked into the bathroom, it was disgusting! There was not only a ring around the toilet, it was like it hadn't been cleaned for ages. I called the front desk, but no one answered. I then went there physically. They were very kind and polite and said they would take care of the problem. The responsiblity was handed to one person who handed it to another to another. The person who cleaned the toilet then said there's nothing they could do and needed special chemicals they didn't have. This all while paying $110/night. I said being in good spirits, let it go because they made an effort to correct the situation. Then when i turned on the hot water, there was none. I then went again to the front desk and complained. Then they changed my room. The second room was cleaner and was not missing anything. It also had a clean bathroom, and it only took 5 minutes to get hot water.
Then next day was alot of fun at the resort. We skiid all day long. But I know for a fact I will never stay at this resort again. There are motels and hotels around which charge less and are alot better.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — It was outdated and the room was filthy
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hershey Highway, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

All reviewers can't be right, but all can't be wrong either. If you're looking for 5 star accommodations, look elsewhere. Run down? Not really. Needs a rehab? Absolutely. But don't look for management to dump millions to fix something in their mind that isn't broken. People come because as one reviewer wrote they have been coming here for 18 years. Sometimes tradition supersedes all else. And if you're used to skiing Vermont, Colorado, Utah or anywhere else, the 500 foot vertical drop won't do much for you. Overall it's OK, but barely. You get what you pay for, right?

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South of the Equator
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

I was recently in East Troy on business and planned on stay 3 days at the Alpine Resort. Great location ! (that s the good part)

Very limited restruant menu 6 Items, the Bar menu's Hamburger was good and the Bartender made a great drink.(good ting I had several)
1st floor room, the interior hallways were musty and damp, they had fans going in a attempt to dry the humidity out.
Inside the room, the slider looked as if it had not been cleaned in years you could hardly see out of it and it did not open. as stated in a previous review the furnishings were very dated and worn.
The bed had a swale in it like a horse had been sleeping in it.

The topper was the next morning as I was showering I looked up at the ceiling and it was covered in brown mold.

The only area of a remodel I saw was the lobby as I was checking out.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carol Stream, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

As they say location location location....that was the only good thing about this hotel, and the only reason I would ever stay here again. Check in was easy and the person who checked us in was pleasant. They directed us to our room through a hallway and up one flight of stairs. The hallways were very musty and there was a dingy scent in the air. The place is extremely "dated" and old. The rooms were less than average and almost gross. Although the bathroom was clean I went to wash my hands and the sink faucet sprayed water directly at my waist!! The sheets and towels smelled clean but the actual beds looked like they were decades old. In fact the beds were on old wood frames with disgusting box springs that had stains on them. The one box spring I swear had stains that really looked like blood splattered. We knew were just lucky to have a room for the night considering we had a 2hr + drive home so we just sucked it up and went to go check out the rest of the place. We walked over to the restaurant, it was dinner time only like three tables were seated. We looked at the menu & took a pass because we just wanted something quick before the concert, not a $28 Tilapia. So we proceeded to the supposedly remodled lounge. I cannot tell what was remodeled except for maybe paint put on the walls. The crowd was mostly people like us looking for a bite & drink before heading over to the concert. It was not too crowded at all. We ordered our food from the bartender (no waitresses) and we were asked to pay right away.One hour later still no food! And every table around us had the same issue. We ordered our food at 6pm and by 7:15 we finally got it, mind you the concert started at 7pm. We hurried and ate our food. The burgers were good but the nachos and the blue cheese dip were nasty! The cheese dip tasted like velveeta and the nachos were soggy with barely any cheese on them. We ate what we could and got the heck out of there. Everyone around us did the same. After an awesome concert by Nickelback we ordered a decent pizza from nearby Genoa's then crashed and got the heck out of there the next morning!! If it was not for the great concert that was within walking distance my weekend would have been aweful!

• Liked — That i could walk to Alpine Valley Musci Theater
  • Disliked — How old & dated the place is.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

My family and I have have been going to Alpine Valley for the past 18 yrs. I am now 19 yrs. old and it is still my favorite place on earth. My Grandpa who is no longer with us found the place, and we have loved it since. The staff does great seeing that there is about 50 of us that go, and they manage to get us rooms all by each other. It is a nice quiet place to go to and get away from the busy city of Chicago. My whole family has busy lives, but once we get there we all catch up and bond. We have so many memories, and we all hate leaving. I hope I will be taking my family there as time goes on. We know almost everybody on the staff, and they love telling us stories of the hotels past. This is my favorite place on Earth to go. So for you people who disagree with me, I'm sorry but I disagree with you.

• Liked — People and quietness
  • Disliked — ghosts
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

We booked a Block of rooms as my daughter had her wedding reception at Alpine Valley. The Staff could not do enough to please us. They were just great. We had serveral little children in the wedding party and they made sure they were taken care of that day and night. They served over 300 people and the food was excellent and it was hot even for late comers.
The following day they had donuts and beverages for all that came to open gifts. They supplied the room free of charge. I really think people normally only give reviews when they are dissatisfied and in this case everyone was very happy with there service and the price was excellent. I would highly recommend Alpine Valley Motel, Resturant and the staff to anyone.

• Stayed April 2005
Arlington Heights
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2005

It was nice for an older hotel. We were in the older part of the hotel but it was clean. It was very simple and not alot of extras. But for a ski resort it was okay. Food okay and staff nice and helpful.

Been to Alpine Valley Resort? Share your experiences!