“Will not come back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hi-Pines Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eagle River
Hi-Pines Campground
You added Hi-Pines Campground to your Saves list
1919 Us Highway 45 North, Eagle River, WI 54521   |
Stoughton, Wisconsin
“Will not come back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

To set the tone for our trip, our GPS didn't find them accurately. We called and were given a new address to put into our GPS. We did and then found that we were directed in the wrong direction again. When I called back a second time, I asked if they could give me landmarks of businesses we would pass along our way to the campground so we knew we were headed the right way. The staff said "I'm not from this area so I have no idea." I just about fell over. REALLY?!? Come to find out, one of them was from New Jersey! Why is this campground not hiring from the local area?!? I'm not even sure the owners were even on site.

When we checked in, the staff was not very friendly. They acted like they were just going through the motions to just get us out of their hair. When asked for specifics on their activity calendar for the 4th of July, they referred me to the list that they had on their website. They didn't have a handout that detailed when the fireworks took place, date/time when the bike parade was going to happen, or date/time when the glow parade was going to happen. When I pushed, they just looked at me like I was the one who was nuts.

Then the site itself. 85% of this campground is FULL SUN! It's as though they cleared a field because there are NO trees even starting to grow to provide shade in years to come. IT WAS AWFUL! Also, you are right on top of your neighbor. And I mean right on top of them. There is absolutely NO PRIVACY! I mean come on. That's not camping. How can that be considered relaxing or enjoyable? Oh and did I mention that we are really close to the Eagle River Airport???

WI-FI campground wide? NO WAY! I was NEVER able to connect at my site. The only time I was able to connect was when I was sitting up at the picnic tables by the office. This feature was a major reason for why I chose this campground.

The only thing that this campground has going for it is the bathrooms. They have very nice, modern, spacious showers AND they were clean. However, 3 stalls is nowhere near enough for a campground of this size. You have to wait for a LONG time. There were 6 toilet stalls which was nice too. The paper towel and soap dispenser kept running out and not replaced quickly.

We even checked out a day early because we were so fed up with the whole experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
EagleRiverHiPines, Manager at Hi-Pines Campground, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Here at Hi-Pines we are sorry for the inconvenience your gps caused when trying to locate our campground. Everyone in the office is trained and aware of the local nearby landmarks to help and assist you in finding our location as best they can. Many campgrounds nationwide employ seasonal work campers who live out of state, and that is very common. The owner was not on site as he owns several campgrounds and splits his time among them however the managers who run the campground were on site during your stay.

We hope that you can forgive that our campground was very busy for the 4th of July weekend. The city of Eagle River puts on the firework show and we are not affiliated other than providing a good area to view them. Thankfully they are visible from our campground. We were informed by the county that they would begin at dark and were informing anyone who asked of this. Also, the information for the glow-light bike-parade was posted for all campers to see on the outside of the clubhouse.

About 50% of our sites are wooded and many new trees have been added to some of the open areas. When booking on a holiday weekend, we advise that the reservation is made a year in advance if a wooded site is desired. Many customers prefer pull-thru open sites for the benefit of receiving a better tv signal and being able to pull their large campers in and out of the sites without any trouble so the “full sun” sites you refer to tend to be very popular.

The main hotspot in our campground is located in our clubhouse, so we are glad to hear you were able to connect. Recently, the campground-wide wifi has been a little spotty, however the issue is being resolved by professionals.

We appreciate your compliments for our clean bathrooms. When we have over a thousand customers in our campground using the same bathrooms, we replace the paper towels and soap dispensers as quickly as possible.

As always, we appreciate your business.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
South Range, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I chose to camp at this campground because we happened across it last year and the kids enjoyed the jumping pillow so they wanted to go back. We live a little over 2 hours away I reserved online and thoroughly went through all the fees/amenities etc. When I got there they told me it was going to be 10 dollars extra per day per kid to jump on the jumping pillow that it cost 20,000 to build and they have to make money. They did not charge last year. Actually a lot of things were different last year.... they proceeded to argue with me and call me a liar. Then I pulled up the website and showed them nowhere on there does it state all these extra fees. I have 5 children and I don't have that kind of money. My children were crying. I told them their website is very deceiving and they shouldn't charge the extra 10 bucks per kid cause the website does not state that. Then they refused. I asked to speak to the owner about it and they said.... he's out of town and I can't talk to him. You can't get wifi anywhere unless you are sitting in the clubhouse either. I asked about it and they said. Well we don't guarantee wifi.... My friend, her husband and children ages 2 and 4 wanted to stop and say hello for not even an hour because she had to go to an appointment. They told her pay 20 dollars and if you don't you need to leave immediately and we will be checking. Can ya get any ruder?? Then they were circling the grounds on their little motorized things watching people like hawks. I asked for a refund because I don't think they were being fair and they refused. Thankfully I had only paid for one night. We were going to stay another 4 nights and they didn't seem to care they would be losing over 100 dollars which seemed odd considered on how set they were on charging all the extra fees. Then they were going to charge extra for my husband to camp with us. I have NEVER in my life seen such a poorly run campground. We will not be going back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
EagleRiverHiPines, General Manager at Hi-Pines Campground, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
The rates for our extra amenities, including the jumping pillow, are now listed on our website. Is is not a standard for campgrounds to list a price for every item they offer on their websites. We acknowledge that some do and have decided to add them. All our pricing is on the back of each map that we hand out at the check-in desk. It is a good idea for customers to call in advance to become knowledgable of our rates as they are subject to change, as stated on the website. Last year the jumping pillow was not free, however we are glad to hear you and your family had a fun time.

Our wifi hotspot is available in the clubhouse, and is accessible to everyone that camps.

Here is what the Hi-Pines website states pertaining to day visitors:

Visitors
ALL VISITORS MUST REGISTER AS DAY CAMPERS BEFORE ENTERING THE CAMPING AREA
Fee: $5 per person/per day.
PASS REQUIRED TO ENTER CAMPING AREA.
Registered campers are responsible to see that their visitors are registered and that they comply with all campground rules.
Visitors hours are 10 AM to 10 PM. No visitor entrance after 10 PM.

The $5 guest fee is very traditional for campgrounds and has always been clearly stated on our website.

We do have employees drive around the campground periodically to ensure the safety of our guests and the compliance of rules and regulations. This is for the benefit of all of our customers.

Unfortunately, whenever a reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled check-in date, the fee is the amount of the one-night deposit. That is why our employees could not refund your previously paid night. The rest of your stay was refunded back to your account at the time of cancellation.

Here at Hi-Pines we pride ourselves in customer service and do our best to please each and every customer while at the same time implementing the policies set forth by the owner.

We apologize that you found our rates to be too high, however our rates are very completive with other campgrounds who offer similar amenities.

Hi-Pines Staff "
Lake City, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This place has the best showers and bathrooms around. (we've seen MANY campground bathrooms). The staff is very friendly and helpful, they delivered our firewood right to our site!! Everything about our stay was great.. besides the rain! but we understand that can't be controlled. Great place for kids. all around great place to relax and enjoy the weekend. Anyone commenting bad on here probably would complain about the price of a candy bar at a gas station. People who like to complain stay away so we can keep enjoying coming here. Thanks again Hi-Pines!!!!

Room Tip: Frankly, any site here will be sure to please you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I am sitting in our campsite writing this review and we are not very happy. When we were here previously everything was pristine.When we got here last night the bathroom was very messy. The paper towel dispenser was empty but someone had placed the huge roll of paper towels on the sink. Not sure why between last night and this morning no employee could be bothered to fill the dispenser. Bathrooms still have not been cleaned. When we advised the front desk of the condition of the bathroom the response we got was, "well there are only three couples working the entire campground and with 150 sites the bathrooms are going to get messy." Busy campground we understand, lack of trying we do not.
The website says free wifi, we have not been able to connect once. When we advised the desk of this and suggested resetting the routers we got the following response, "well when 150 sites are all getting on some people won't be able to get on. I could reset the router but that will just mean there will be 50 people in here complaining." Part of the reason we picked this campground was the wifi. This is the same as them advertising camps with electricity and then not having any.
Went to the clubhouse this morning for coffee only to find there was no creamer. When we asked about it the first girl said she couldn't find any. The second girl acknowledged it wad forgotten but was not at all inclined to go to the store a half mile away and get some to stock the coffee station. She was just very accepting of being substandard in yet one more area.
We asked to talk with the manager and was told he lives out of state and has nothing to do with the campground. We asked for a feedback or evaluation card, was told there were none. Bottom line, this is not the experience we paid for, this staff is among the most incompetent and excuse laden ever. They are running a great campground into the ground. The review title says it all, we won't waste our time or money here again.

• Stayed June 2013
We are sorry your experience was less than excellent. We try not to make excuses and pride ourselves on excellent ratings but I would like to address your issues. Our Campground was full during your stay and even though the bathrooms were cleaned 3 times a day sometimes a mess can happen very quickly. After you complained about them they were cleaned again. The paper towel dispenser had broke the night you arrived and we could not get a new one quickly. It is now fixed. Our WIFI was also not functioning properly over the weekend and is being looked at. It fortunately was working at your site when you wrote this review. Sadly we had a couple of breakdowns during your stay and apologize for that.
Ogema, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I checked in and were not asked how many in party - we Assumed that 6 people were allowed as per their website 6 were allowed. Our son and family were joining us for night 2 and 3 and BECAUSE we did not tell them initially which we surely would have - had they asked how many were staying we were charged an additional $20.00 and were told that "That is the Policy"! We will not be coming back - Really sad when it is 30 degrees we are not using any of their facilities other than electricity - there are only a couple of people in campground and they feel they need to gouge us! Should have gone to KOA they had stay 2 nights and 3d night free - we will next time for sure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
EagleRiverHiPines, Owner at Hi-Pines Campground, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hi
I am sorry you did not agree with our pricing policy. We have it stated on the website and on the confirmation you received when you made a reservation. Our policy of charging $5 for each additional guest is very standard among campgrounds. We state that you can have up to 6 people, 2 adults and 4 children, 17 and younger staying on a site. The only reason you were charged additionally was because you exceeded the policy requirement. You mentioned the "stay 2 nights and get the 3rd free". We have that special running and also a stay 5 nights and get the 4th and 5th free! Another bonus you receive when staying at Hi-pines is that use of our water park the Aqua Play Zone is included! Please come back and take advantage of one of these special promotions!
Townsend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is our 2nd time to this park. The other reviewers are correct, the bathroom and showers are the best we've seen. They have a nice water park and the kids seem to love it. The staff is friendly and they have a nice office with a beer/wine bar.

The last time we were here we couldn't get wifi at the campsite we got so we just accepted it and went without. This time we asked to be put somewhere wifi was available. We got a real good signal from the local AP but it was not accepting any log in's.

I called the front office. They told me no one else is complaining and they are logged on down at the office.... that didn't help me much out in the park.

My wife took her laptop down to the office and was able to log on down there. She told the staff about the problem. Again they said no one else is having any problems.

After a short period a gentlemen sitting next to my wife leaned over and whispered "it's been broken for over a year".

If you visit and want WiFi don't get an area on the south end of the park unless you have a good external USB WiFi antenna that can pull in the AP's from other parts of the park.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We only visited hipines campground for 2 nights but was very impressed w the cleanliness and friendliness of the grounds and staff. There wad a nice beach and blowup water blobs in the mini man made lake. Bathrooms and showers were so toasty warm at night and amazingly clean that I nevet wanted to leave them and eventually my boyfriend had to come looking for me! The only downside was the openness of the grounds. If you dont have a seasonal site its like camping in a grassy parking lot...no privacy at all due to zero trees between the sites. Overall I'd visit again if it was a short trip like this one. Thanks hipines!

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Hi-Pines Campground? Share your experiences!