“Just couldn't resist...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Dodgeville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Just couldn't resist...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The photos on the web site, the reviews here on TA, how could we not stay there when in the area? Went with the Casino suite, one of the more tame themed rooms. (We're grownups, so why not have a little fun when traveling?!) Bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean. Make sure to prowl around the place and see some of the history. The continental breakfast in the lobby offers basic breads, fruit and cereal. Be sure to eat at the restaurant next door (Sam & Maddie's, accessible from the hotel via the tunnel) - good food, reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Try a themed suite for fun!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shelbyville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

If your looking for something different , then this is the place for you. Not only is it clean, convenient. But there are tons of cool things to look at ( History of the place ) . Really old things every where. Every time I walk through the lobby I find something else that I missed before. There are all these cool themed rooms and a long tunnel that goes from the hotel to the restaurant. Oh yeah, also very fast wireless internet.
Now, if your looking for the Hilton or Holiday Inn Express this place is not for you. Don Q Inn is for normal people who like the warm rustic feeling where the staff makes you feel at home and welcome.
I will be back again any time I'm within 50 miles of this place. I'll make the drive. I'm here on work but I'm thinking about bringing my wife and kids up here. They would like it as much as I do.

Thank You for reading.
Paul H.

Room Tip: I have only seen my room but it was very clean and nice. I have no complaints.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Moorhead, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stopped orginally to see the huge airplane out front of the hotel..that was cool. We needed a room for the night but thought it looked to expensive. Couldn't hurt to ask so we were surprised to get it at $80 for the night(basic room) Had quite the chuckle at the mirrors on the ceiling. The room was quite large and a little on the dark side, but very comfortable and clean. We went to the restaurant connected by an underground tunnel(too cool)...but the restaurant service sucked-will save that for another review. The second day we stayed in the area to late so we went back for a fantasy suite..we got the Blue Room and she didn't charge us for upgrading to a fanta-suite(THANK YOU)! It was fun...the room also had mirrors on the wall and ceiling, a 300 gallon tub which I could have swam in practically...LOVED IT! That room also was a little on the dark side....need more lighting in it. Both rooms had a fridge and quite large. We had fun there and would definately go back. Ask to see the mid-evil room....you will get a kick out of it!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to see some of the rooms before you take one. Some look pretty cool and a couple I was not to im...
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I pretty much knew what I was getting into before we arrived. I knew about the fantasy suites but didn't know my girlfriend had pre-booked the Cave Room, so that was an exciting surprise although I hadn't packed my loin cloth or spiked club. The front desk greeting we received upon arrival lacked exuberance, to put it mildly. More like the flavor of extreme boredom with our presence. But I let that go. Chalked it up to life in Dullsville, er, Dodgeville Wisconsin.

We found our room, the Cave, in the bowels of the hotel, and finally got the door to open by beating the living hell out of it. Oh my, a dark dingy cave it is! Be careful not to stub your toe on the boulders surrounding the bed. The "vanity" needs a new name because anyone with even a smidgen of vanity remaining in them will run from its grimy surface in fear. Bathroom, uh, single wide trailer variety. Bed, round, decent, but let's just say there won't be any little ones arriving 9 months from now. Pond/bathtub/waterfall....she loved it.....I couldn't find the courage to climb in....kept wondering what might be hidden in the crevices of grout. The tunnel to the restaurant was lots of fun but I'm pretty sure there are live rats somewhere in there amongst the rubber ones.

So yeah, I actually enjoyed this place more than it sounds like I did. OCD tends to flare up in situations like this. The idea is great, the implementation could be better.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I picked this place as a reward for meeting a goal we set. We were very excited about the fantasuites. I read all the reviews so I was not expecting a 5 star hotel. We pulled in and were greeted by the sight of the huge cargo plane out front, It was way bigger than I expected. We walked into the lobby and there were lots of families, there was a baseball tournament in town that weekend. Check in was a little bit of a wait, which was fine we walked around and looked at all the interesting things in the lobby. Once we got to the counter, we were hoping to get a tour of some of the suites, but instead we were offered a scrap book of pictures to look at, I didn't want to push the matter as they were busy and I am pretty sure there was only one person working in the hotel. The pictures did give us a good idea of the rooms and the woman working gave a good description of the rooms. We picked the igloo room mostly because it had a water bed and I haven't slept in a water bed in years. I was a little shocked at how expensive the room was, I was totally not expecting the room to be pushing $200 a night.

We walked downstairs and through the hall to our room, I was a little worried as the hall definitely smelled like a basement but amazingly enough our room did not. The room was very large and sure enough there was a full size igloo in there and a round water bed in the igloo! The jacuzzi was HUGE! My husband and I both fit in it comfortably, there was a TV above the hot tub, which actually made me a little nervous. There was a small sitting area with a refrigerator and another TV. Inside the igloo there was a TV and a radio. There was an air conditioner in the sitting area which kept it cool but the air didn't get inside of the igloo very well, so it was pretty warm in there. We opened a window to get some fresh air only to find there was no screen on the window. We still kept the window open, thankfully there is a drought so there are not many bugs!

There is not much within walking distance of the hotel except for the one restaurant on the property and a bar across the street. The restaurant was good and the bar was a lot of fun.

The next day we had fun just walking through the airplane and finding all the weird things we could find about the place. They had large checkers in the lobby and interesting pictures on the wall. The tunnel to the restaurant is also very weird and fun.

All in all, I LOVED this place! Don't expect luxury when going here, but do plan on seeing weird stuff, letting go and having a great time. It was a great couples getaway, but I really want to bring my kids back there because I know they would love it too.

Stillman Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife secured a "theme" room for this strange, and I mean wierd, hotel, and I'll never forget that night. Set outside of town, we took the 'tour' of some of the theme rooms, like the hot air balloon room ( you sleep in a suspended hot air balloon bed), the igloo artic room, and ended up staying in the wild safari room.
The positive was the massive hot tub. I'm 6'3, and I could lay down, head to toe, and still have room! Beyond that, the room was old, and it depends on your personality to judge the rest. If you want modern, clean, normal, etc, then don't even consider this. However, if you are willing to play a little, enjoy the odd, and can tolerate some oddities (like a fireplace surrounded by oddly matched barber chairs in the lobby), then go for it.
This place is unlike anything I've ever seen. If you aren't brave or playful- move on.

Room Tip: Take the tour at 3:00, and you can see many of the themed rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights. In Paradise Cove & Indian Summer. Both rooms were clean and nice. The copper cheese vat tub was a real treat!! The hotel has many great things to look at. My dad loved the fireplace and the barber chairs. We both loved the underground tunnel to the lovely restaurant next door. The pool and whirlpool were also nice. The continental breakfast was nice and varied. The two staff ladies who helped us were very friendly and helpful. Let me look at a few rooms so I could make my selection. It was a real treat to stay at the Don Q. We hope that we can come again sometime.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Don Q Inn? Share your experiences!