“nice place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Delavan
Green Bay, WI
“nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We chose this hotel because there was nowhere to stay in Whitewater (college town 15 miles north). Not a bad place - beds were comfortable and room was spacious although the pull out sofa had seen it's better days. Reasonably priced for the amenities (suite-style room, queen beds, fridge, microwave). It is a bit off the main drag and difficult to find at night - they could use better signage. Close to I-43 and retail locations. The breakfast was a little weak -- we had to keep asking them to refill things -- ran out of scrambled eggs, sausauge, etc. and it seemed that no one was in charge of watching when things ran out. Also seemed like there were family members of the workers hanging out in the lobby -- small children were going in and out of the office area which we thought was a little odd.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

There are two "chain" hotels in Delavan. I chose this one because the other one looked scary. It was a good choice. It was nicely decorated and pretty clean. The bedding was of good quality. The staff was very friendly. Yes, the carpet is kind of old and gross. Don't let that scare you away. A little overpriced for what it is, but they really don't have any competition. If you have to stay in Delavan, and a B&B is out of the question, this is the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Walworth, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

It was one of the worst hotel expiernces I have ever had! The carpet was scary to begin with but then on top of having to wear shoes all the time we had items stolen from our room when we went out to eat! Took most of our valuables with us but left behind cell phone charges and batteries when we returned they were gone! The worst part the hotel showed no interest in helping us with this matter! Don't leave anything in your room if u plan on staying here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JohnVH, General Manager at Comfort Suites Delavan, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
It is unfortunate that some items were found to be missing from your room and I apologize! All of our employees are long-term...in fact, the housekeeper that cleaned your room has been with us for nearly four years and we've never had to question her honesty. Most recently, she has even turned-in a large amount of "cash" that was left behind by one of our guests. We do have safes in all of the rooms and we recommend that you always secure your valuables. It is my understanding that you were missing a phone charger, some bicycle pedals, and a tupperware container...I cannot forsee you locking-up these items but I am sure that we probably had a phone charger that would fit your phone in our lost and found. I do know that the hotel called the police on your behalf and a police was completed. The authorities were back the following day to question the housekeeper and pursue this matter with management. Again, I apologize for your loss and hope that these items are either found or turned-in.
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We checked into a different hotel in the Delavan area and the first thing I noticed when I entered my room was the smell of mold. We decided to check out of the hotel and decided to go home. On our way home we stumbled across the Comfort Suites and to my delight, the hotel was updated, very nicely decorated and most of all the air was clean and mold free. The best part was the customer service, the man at the front desk was so friendly and accommodating! We love boating on Delavan Lake and will always consider the Comfort Suites when staying overnight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed this past weekend. While it was apparent that they had made some upgrades (bed linens, countertops in bathrooms), the carpeting and upholstered furniture was god awful. Unfortunately the rate we paid was well beyond what this hotel deserves given its condition. Thankfully our weekend events were off site, so we just used the hotel for sleeping.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
My response is directed to the next three comments as I know that you were all friends and traveling together. We appreciate your comments and we are aware of some the concerns that you had mentioned. We are in our eigth year and due for a refresh but this requires budgeting and proper planning. The industry has taken quite a hit with hundreds of hotels failing and in foreclosure...we are choosing NOT to be one of those hotels. Not only do we have a responsibility to our guests, we have a responsibility to our investors, our community and to our employees. In order for our properties to stay "afloat", we must budget properly and spend accordingly. It may appear that we started to do some updates and then stopped but that is not the case. Last year we replaced all of the bedding, linens, and terry throughout the hotel along with some updates to the pool area, our computer system, and our breakfast display pieces. This year we started switching over to flat screen TV's and re-charge devices...roughly $500 per room with 80 rooms is a sizeable investment. During the summer months and our busiest time of the year is NOT the time to put rooms out of order as we must maximize the hotel to its full potential...However, we have purchased carpeting for the property and will start installation in the fall when things slow down for us. We should have the rooms completed by the end of the year or the first part of next year and at that time we are planning on furniture replacement. This is a step-by-step process but it is our intent to tackle everything in time. I again apologize that some things were not up to par but hope that you can understand our position. We are aware of some the issues and we are constantly investing into the improvement of our facility.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The title says it all. It really seemed like they started to refresh this hotel and then stopped. The linens were nice and the beds comfortable, but the carpeting in the rooms and in the common areas was horribly stained and dirty. There was also an upholstered bench in the room that was horribly stained and dirty. The couch was ok with the slip cover on it, but because of the carpet and the bench I would never sit on it. The microwave and refrig were nice to have and clean. The bathroom seemed to have a newer tub and sick and was clean.

There were also really loud people running and jumping upstairs at all hours of the night that could be heard from at least 3 adjoining rooms.

I agree with the prior reviewer: I wore my shoes at all times and I was glad that we were really only in the hotel to sleep and had activites off sight all weekend.

I did not have a groupon and as such paid about twice as much for this hotel than I think it is worth.

I won't be staying again.

Room Tip: On higher floors you won't have anyone causing noice above your head all night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

All I can say is that I won't return, nor will I recommend this place to anyone. Well maybe if you really need some place to spend the night. The carpeting throughout the entire place was horrible. Whenever my feet were on the ground I had on shoes.. that means even going to the washroom in the middle of the night. The whole place was a little musty. I really didn't want to stay but we had plans to be gone most of the day and would only be in the room to sleep. I guess we got what we paid for through Groupon. If Ihad paid full price for that weekend stay I would have had to get my money back and go elsewhere.

Never again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites Delavan? Share your experiences!