“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cudahy
Itasca, Illinois
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I bought a Living Social deal. We stayed two nights in the S. African room. The fireplace was on when we checked in, along with chilled champagne and chocolate truffles. The king size bed was fabulous and the bathroom was a huge spa, fantastic shower with heat in the ceiling, and the spa robes. We had free drinks with our dinner(great fish fry) on Friday, and ten dollars off our Sunday brunch. The restaurant is just as beautiful as the rooms. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend, and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
McFarland, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I found a deal on livingsocial for this B&B and thought it was absolutely perfect, seeing as how it was only 10 miles away from the concert we were going to. We ended up paying over $170 (not including later charges) for the South Africa room for two nights (they charged us over $20 in tax) but were asked to leave the next morning and did not get to finish our stay. Don't get me wrong - The atmosphere is nice, as well as the service. The bed we stayed in was a king size amazing and the shower was so nice that I took four of them while I was there, but there's a few things to keep in mind about this place before you choose it.

First of all, it's in a nice location that has bad locations all around it. This doesn't help with feeling safe while you're traveling from place to place. Secondly, the food is overpriced and under-portioned. I got lucky by getting a $10 gift card and a voucher for two free drinks with the livingsocial deal, and only had to pay $5 for the food I ate with my boyfriend that morning (we shared the steak and eggs, then had a coke and hot chocolate). Along with the livingsocial deal, I was promised a bottle of sparkling wine and a bag of truffles. The wine was absolutely terrible, and we were only given two truffles. So I feel a little ripped off there. Last but not least is the incident that happened during our second day.

We received a call that afternoon telling us that our card was declined. The room was already payed for, including taxes, so what could our card possibly be declined for? We met with the manager in the office and was informed that we were to pay them over $160 for damages to the linen (why was our card charged that much without a notification beforehand, especially when we were not notified of ANY policy that states we have to do so and we signed nothing stating that our card could be charged without our permission or awareness?). There was a black streak on the comforter and one of the hand towels had been used as a napkin when we found no napkins at the end of the hallway to use. When I told the manager that I didn't have that much money on my card and would be willing to pay if she billed me later, the owner proceeded to tell me that she was embarrassed of the situation, insulted me for not having the money or another credit card to use, and told me that she would lower the cost to $50 if we agreed to leave.

We left.

Room Tip: The South Africa room we stayed in had a king size bed, fireplace, and large shower. It was very qui...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Made us pay for a hand towel we used to clean up a spill $50, claiming it was from Italy....it was a regular white hand towel. They refused to let us back in our room and threatened to keep our stuff, and we did not get to stay the other night we paid $150 for.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SheridanHouse, Owner at Sheridan House, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
The reason these guests were asked to leave early was that they could not produce a credit card that had available credit. I am not aware of any hotel that does not require this for damages or incidental expenses. When every card they provided had no available credit to pay for the damages they caused, we had no choice but to ask them to leave.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed here twice. First was in the Champagne Room and the second time was in the Stellenbosch, a South African themed room. Both rooms were decorated beautifully and had a gas fireplace. Large rooms with large bathrooms. The showers have great water pressure with a rain shower head, a hand held shower, and two body spraying jets in the wall. A diagram showed how to operate all of the fixtures. The beds were really comfortable. You get a $15 gift card for the restaurant/coffee shop downstairs when you check in. The food is great and they have a full bar. I drank beer and my boyfriend drank blueberry mojitos. Very good!
The owner is very friendly. Nice housekeeping staff. I would definitely stay here again :)

Room Tip: There's a parking lot across the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This "boutique hotel" is really more like a slightly larger and more impersonal B&B. It's a historic building that consists of a large pretty bistro restaurant on the ground floor, a few guest rooms above the restaurant and a few more rooms outside, motel-style, surrounding the patio seating for the restaurant. There's a small fitness center in a building at the back of the patio, and a big parking lot for patrons across the street. The hotel faces a nice lakefront park across the street but unfortunately most of the rooms do not have park view and look out on the dining patio and surrounding residential area. Rooms are pretty quiet, but do get a little noise from the patio during busy restaurant times.

My room was in the main building and had strong free Wi-Fi (a big plus!) , in-room safe, bathrobes, flat screen TV, Bose radio and a fireplace. The rooms are nicely decorated with a "wines of the world" theme. Bathroom was very large, pretty, clean and new-looking, and all the fixtures worked very well. Usually in "historic hotels" there is something that looks old or needs fixing and often it's in the bathroom, but that was not the case here. Even all the multiple shower heads in the shower worked great and there was a diagram showing how to turn on which shower jet - much appreciated as it's a pain to have to twiddle knobs and have water come out unexpected places. The bedding and towels were excellent quality.

I ate in the restaurant several times. Food is very good bistro fare and prices are average to low by East Coast standards, probably a little high by Midwest standards. I got a 15 dollar gift card for the restaurant on check-in which was about enough for one free breakfast. You also can get one free cup of coffee or tea in the mornings if you're staying as a guest. The wait staff here are very young, seemed kind of inexperienced and occasionally the restaurant seemed short-staffed, but everybody was polite and making their best effort.

Check-in was a little weird since the front desk/ lobby is closed and locked most of the time, and upon arrival you have to ring for someone to let you in. I had a reservation, arrived at about 5 pm and it took about 10 minutes/ multiple rings of the doorbell before anyone came to the door. At one point I went around to the front restaurant door but the restaurant seemed to be dark even though it was during its posted opening hours. When someone finally answered the door, check-in was very efficient, but that was the last time I saw the front desk open during my stay of several days (including when I checked out), so this is definitely a place for self-sufficient guests.

Two things conspicuously missing from the room were a mini-fridge and an in-room coffeemaker. You can get coffee to go in the restaurant, but only during its open hours; they will also bring coffee to your room in the mornings but this requires some "special arrangements" and a 7 dollar a day fee. The guest information mentioned that Alterra coffee was available at all times in the fitness room; however I went in there early one morning before the restaurant opened, and all I found was a cold water dispenser and some packets of instant hot chocolate and tea - no coffee. Tried to make the instant hot chocolate but no hot water would come from the dispenser, so ended up with a cold cup and had to throw the whole thing out in the trash as there was no sink in there to dump it. No vending or soft drinks available either.

The neighborhood is generally well-kept, safe and walkable with lots of cute bungalows and the park nearby. (The Cudahy police HQ is also a block away.) Nice place to go for a stroll or a jog. However, you're better off bringing a car, since other than the Sheridan's restaurant (which is closed anywhere from one to three days of the week) and a couple of bars, there isn't anyplace within short walking distance to eat or buy necessities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sheridan's this past weekend and WOW! Everything about our mini vacation was perfect. We found no reason to leave the hotel all weekend. The main hotel sits above a bistro....with a full bar. Great food, fantastic wine selection. All of the staff was outgoing and friendly. Our overall experience couldn't have been better. We will definitely be back. Hopefully soon!

• Stayed May 2013
Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Let me tell you, I have stayed at Sheridan House several times now and every stay is better then the last. This little dimond in the rough is my go to place when i need a quite get away. You can just tell that this hotel is a labor of love for the owners. They have paid such attention to the details. I have never had suh a good nights sleep.The staff was wonderful! I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrage to the luxury room. They have the best two person message tubs!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cudahy
Walker's Point
The Brewhouse Inn & Suites
The Brewhouse Inn & Suites
#4 of 52 in Milwaukee
4.5 of 5 stars 586 reviews

Been to Sheridan House? Share your experiences!