“Cost + value doesn't add up” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
“Cost + value doesn't add up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Pricey and not really worth the wait or the money you pay. Our waitstaff stayed off to the side, texting or something, on her cell phone. Had to wave down other staff to get water refills.

Visited July 2012

Lake Mills, Wisconsin
“Classy restaurant, great food with weekend entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We enjoy visiting 1855 on Friday evenings for their fish fry. Just the right amount of delicious fish is served over a very light rye bread and it is very tasty (and I normally don't care for rye bread). 1855 has excellent brick oven pizza, and on weekends there is usually live acoustic entertainment which is fun. This restaurant can get busy, and they only offer reservations for parties of 6 or greater. Be prepared to wait it out if you arrive at prime time on Friday or Saturday. However, a large crowd is evidence of a great meal! Enjoy.

Visited October 2012
Evansville, Indiana
“Delicious and plentiful fare!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently took a group of customers into the 1855 Saloon and Grill for dinner. I have eaten there a few times now for lunch but had not had dinner before. The 1855 Saloon has a nice warm and welcoming atmosphere. The night we went they also had live acoustic music in the bar.

The menu has a lot of variety and the portions are certainly plentiful! I had the Southwestern Pork Tenderloin which was quite tasty. Two in our party had the Pecan encrusted Walleye and they both were extremely happy with their choices. The salads that came with each of our meals was also very good. The specialty dinner bread was VERY good and I wish we had asked for a 2nd bowl!!

The 1855 Saloon also has nice steaks. Overall this restaurant is surprising at how competent the menu is and considering it is in a small suburb outside of Madison....which has a number of well known culinary destinations as it is!

I would definitely recommend the 1855 Saloon for an evening out on the far east side of Madison, WI.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice restaurant - Food could be kicked up a notch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have eaten here 3 times, and the food is ok to good, depending on what you order. With each of the three times I've eaten here I've always felt like the food was missing something, leaning to the bland side, I feel like there could be more flavor or effort into the food, especially for the price. It's not bad but I haven't found that dish that's blown

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, WI
“No Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Originally we were going to Sun Prarie for our lunch, but decided to try 1855 Saloon. My husband and I did not have any expectations. Then we opened the menu and I was so happy to see the different vegetarian selections, I even had a hard time deciding what to eat. My veggie wrap was delicious! And the sweet potatoes were very good. My husband liked his salmon sandwich (minus the bread), and he too liked the sweet potato fries, though he later realized that the fries were probably coated with flour as he had a gluten reaction. Aside from that, we are definitely going back!

• Visited March 2013