“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Chippewa Falls
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. The pool was beautiful! The exterior of the building could have used a fresh coat of paint, and there needed to be some attention paid to landscaping, pulling weeds, etc.

Room rates were slightly steeper than some other motels in town. Avalon offers a 10% discount for AAA and AARP. Unfortunately, there had been a misspelling on my membership card, so I wasn't carrying it -- and there was NO WAY the registration clerk was going to take my word for it!! I thought she could have cut me a little slack, but apparently I don't have a very innocent-looking face ; o)

The room rate includes breakfast. Be a little careful: when you check in to your room, they give you a voucher card for breakfast. On the back of the card, in fine print, there is a list of two or three items that are covered by the voucher.
Service in the restaurant was friendly, but very, very slow. I ordered an omelette, which was delicious, but not covered on the voucher.
When I paid my check, I mentioned that I had read the back of the card too late. The hostess said, "Oh, yeah, that happens to everyone." Seems a little deceptive ...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Carrie F, Front Office Manager at Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us...we appreciate each and every review....this is how we listen to what guest want for the future. Hope you stay with us again when in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place was great for the annual Tilden Mud Run. Great bar and restaurant. Rooms were decent and you could drive right up to them. Go to Bucky's Bar in town while you are there. Thanks for a great stay!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie F, Front Office Manager at Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I want to thank you for your positive feedback...much appreciated! Hope your group stays with us again when in the area.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I think was a fantastic place in its day. Its getting dated. Rooms are a bit misty smelling. I liked that they had a bar and food. Seemed to me back in the day it would have been an awesome wedding reception or other event location. Needs sprucing up. I would maybe go back but not at first choice

• Stayed July 2013
Carrie F, Front Office Manager at Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review us. We appreciate all reviews as we use these as tools to make the improvements guests are looking for. Glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and bar...hope you will stay with us again if traveling this way.
Wyoming, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The room was a little run down old carpet. The bed was comfortable. The price was good. The restaurant was very good, I ate there for dinner 4 times. Everything I ordered was very good. The service was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carrie F, Front Office Manager at Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.....We take great pride in our hotel and hearing positive feedback just reinforces that pride! We have been updating and making changes on a continuous basis...it just takes time. Hopefully you will be able to see some of these changes when you visit us again. Thank you for your business!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

With a late flight into town I called the hotel around 11 pm to make sure they knew I was still coming. Entering the hotel, I could tell it was an older hotel. Had this old smell to it.The desk clerk was friendly and said kindly that she would hold the room for me. Upon checking into the hotel, all went ok until the desk clerk said my room number out loud 2 times. Traveling alone as a female, I didn't like that one bit. Especially since there were 2 men behind me waiting to check in as well. That kind of scared me. they offered free breakfast in their restaurant, but didn't explain what you got "free". Breakfast and service was great. Breakfast was hot and fast, and service was over the top. They were quick to serve, even when they were busy. Housekeeping kept my room clean, and didn't bother me. I did ask for a late checkout, but didn't get much of one. overall my week stay was good. I will stay again if I was in the area again! Thanks.

• Stayed November 2012
Eagan, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This "hotel" is very outdated, dirty, overpriced and the front desk staff was not very customer service oriented.

My Husband made our reservations online He thought that the website said to show our AAA card at the time of check in and our discount would be applied at that time. When we checked in the front desk, they advised that we booked the room wrong and the discount could not be applied. I asked if there was anything they could do for us, The woman said that there was absolute nothing they could and also took the opportunity to point out again that it was our fault for booking it wrong. My guess is that the front desk staff was just too lazy to go the extra mile to make to make their customers happy.
I was not going to let that issue ruin our 2 day stay there..... but our stay there just kept getting worse.
Our room was dirty. At first it looked clean and then we noticed how dirty the bathroom there was hair in the sink & tubs, the fan & blow dryer did not work. The room (and the whole hotel ) had a very musty, damp smell (avoid this place if you have allergies to mold). The AC unit would randomly turn on for 10 seconds & then shut off a couple time an hour.
The pool area was okay. The “hot” tub was just luke warm (we had it running for 45 minutes and it never heated up).
The free breakfast is not worth the time. The pancakes were thick & doughy. Coffee was watered down. My husband ordered Eggs Benedict off the menu, the muffin was not toasted and the eggs were raw…it was disgusting. The décor in the restaurant reminded me of a outdated funeral home.
The only bright spot during our stay was The Bridgewater Bar. The staff was very friendly & professional. They have an awesome bloody Mary Mix, so be sure to try one.
The checkout experience was as terrible as the check in. There was a different girls at the desk, so I asked once again if there anyway we could het the AAA discount. Out of nowhere the orginal woman that I spoke to originally about the discount appeared shaking her head “no”, she went on to tell the other employee that she had already told us no. The woman went on to inform me that she had gone on the hotel website and it was very clear that discount had to be requested online at time of making reservation. I was totally in shock, I could not believe that this employee was still going out of her way to prove me wrong. I understand that we made a mistake and I was not being belligerent, I just thought that it never hurts to ask.
If you want to stay in an overpriced, dirty, outdated, musty smelling hotel, that has a condescending front desk staff this is the perfect hotel for you. I would not stay there again, even if you paid me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

First of all, my mother and I booked separate rooms here in advance. I got there first and checked in, then when she arrived a couple hours later, they checked her into the room I was already in. Her room key was deactivated Friday night because they "thought she had checked out", even though her reservation was until Saturday. Then to top it off, they charged my card for both rooms even though my mother paid separately. When I called them about it, all the manager said was that she didn't know who was working over the weekend, and it was probably because we had the same last name that everyone was confused. Long story short - if you have a common last name, be afraid, because apparently first names mean nothing to these people. Beds were uncomfortable, shower pressure and lighting in the bathroom is terrible. The attached restaurant is mediocre at best.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Avalon Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!