“Best of the Best!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Cedarburg B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Best of the Best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We love to stay at Inns and have been able to do so form Santa Fee to Montreal, but ironically, only becuse it so close to where we live (Chicago), the Washington Inn provided the best room we have ever had. Two-story high vaulted ceilings (room 216), fireplace, and get this, furniture that actually faces the TV, for a suite feel of separate areas. I am an architect (not a writer obivously) and loved this space.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Our family has vacationed in Wisconsin since 2002. We discovered the Washington House Inn
that year and loved it. At that time we were travelling with 2 young children and stayed in the loft suite. We have been back 6 times and still look forward to our trips. The loft suites are perfect for kids and they were thrilled with their own 'space'. The entire staff at WHI is top notch. They are all very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. Cedarburg is a beautiful town and has plenty of shops nearby, in addition to a large community pool just one mile north of the Inn.
I would not consider any other establishment when in the area. I rate this Inn '5 star' even if that is not the offcial rating, it is in my book.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I can't really add much more to what has already been said.The staff was friendly and courteous, the food was excellent, and the free wine and cheese was a nice touch. While perhaps a little too expensive, the room was clean and very nice, the in-room whirlpool was fun and the location was perfect.

The only drawback was the lack of a functional thermostat in the room. Although there was a thermostat on the wall, we eventually figured out that it was totally inoperative. Instead, on another wall, there was a 4 position fan switch with a sign posted on the wall that explained that this was the only way to control the comfort of the room and that the blower blew warm air in the winter and cold air in the summer. We were there on an unusually cool June day and the room was too cold. The only thing we could do to warm it up was to turn on the fireplace, which also was not thermostatically controlled, so we had two choices, too cold or too warm.

If it had not been for the temperature problems, I would have given the Washington House an excellent rating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
WashingtonHouseInn, Innkeeper at Washington House Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
In response to your complimentary review, I would like to address the “one drawback”. I am so sorry your temperature was not as you would have liked. I wish you had called the front desk when you were uncomfortable. There is an innkeeper here 24 hours a day to assist you in any way. We could have adjusted your room to your comfort zone. Our entire building operates on a either/or system, (either cooling or heat, not both simultaneously) for that reason we do have individual room heaters or fans available upon request to be sure our guests are always comfortable. We hope you will stay with us again soon in any season.
Very Sincerely,
Wendy J. Porterfield
Innkeeper
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Washington House Inn numerous times. It has always been a pleasant experience. The location is great. It's on main street in Cedarburg and it's within walking distance to restaurants, shops and the Cedarburg winery. It's a historic building that's been very well taken care of. My husband and I typically like to stay in more contemporary/modern hotels, but this has a very old, country charm feel to it, and that's okay! It's very inviting when you walk in. The owners are kind and the lounge has a warm fireplace to sit by. The rooms are warm and clean. Some are small, but when they have a steam shower in them, who cares about the rest of the room! The steam showers are awesome, they are relaxing and romantic. Some of the highlights of this inn are 1) they have wine and cheese tasting (included in your stay) every evening in the lounge area and 2) you can order the home-cooked breakfast in bed. Most people go down to the lounge to eat their (included) breakfast, but we always order it to our room! They bring it on a wooden tray & it's fresh fruit, baked goods and tea/coffee. You can eat a great breakfast in your robe (included) in bed with your loved one!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Southwest Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

This last fall when I wanted to surprise my husband with a weekend getaway I decided to do a little research and find something that we would both enjoy. I'm more of a city girl and enjoy trips to bigger cities, but my husband is more of a small town to country kind of guy. When I stumbled across Cedarburg, WI I knew I had found that wonderfully happy medium. Not far from Milwaukee (so we could still go and spend some time there), and yet the town itself is very quaint and appealed to my hubby.

However, the best surprise of all - and the highlight of our trip, despite doing many fun things during the day - was our stay at the Washington House Inn. I can honestly say that it was perfect! The wine and cheese social hour in the beautifully appointed gathering room was very relaxing, with a fire going to create a romantic mood. The wines were wonderful and were all made locally at Cedar Creek Winery. Our room was inviting, comfy and absolutely beautiful, and the staff was so helpful that by the end of the evening we had declared it to be one of the best B&B experiences we had ever had. And we hadn't even had the breakfast yet! As for that, it didn't disappoint in the least. It was satisfying and delicious; the menu seemed thoughtfully planned. We felt totally pampered. Since our stay last weekend I have been recommending the Washington House to everyone I know. We already want to go back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

My wife and I both agreed that we should plan a return trip to the Washington House Inn sometime in the spring. We've been making annual fall trips to quaint little towns similar to Cedarburg all over the midwest and, although we have enjoyed most of them, this is the first time we immediately planned a return trip, we were that impressed. When I made the reservations we could only get in for one of the two nights we wanted so I emailed the online confirmation back to the Inn and requested that if a cancellation were to occur, we would like to stay the second night. About a week before our trip I received a call from the Inn letting me know that there was a cancellation and that our reservation had been extended. On arrival we were greeted very warmly and the front desk clerk let us know that there was no individual climate control in the rooms and that given the mild temperature the room would get very hot if we were to leave the fan on. She also let us know of all the hotel and town events, which were many, and pointed out the location of the ice machine, sauna, etc. We stayed in one of the mid-priced rooms and it was beautiful. It had large stained glass windows, a huge whirlpool tub, and ornately carved headboard and footboard. Many of the light fixtures appeared to be original to the inn that had been converted from gas to electric and the bathroom vanity was a converted antique dresser, very charming. We spent a lot of time wandering around in the historic building, marveling at the age of the construction. In one spot you could still see the original timber frame construction. The wine and cheese party held every afternoon and the breakfast in the same room in the morning were very nice. Just the right way to start the morning and the evening. We didn't use it, but a door hanger was available if we wanted to have our breakfast delivered to us. Check out was also very nice, we left feeling as if we were friends of the owners.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Cedarburg is a gem of a city and The Washington Inn is right in the heart of town. We walked right out the door, after a day of travel, and were able to enjoy shops, wine bars, and restaurants. The Inn is lovely and breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Washington House Inn? Share your experiences!