“You spin me right round..” 5 of 5 stars

533 Milwaukee Avenue, Burlington, WI
262 763-3946
Improve this listing
5 attraction reviews
“You spin me right round..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Spinning top and Yo-Yo museum is more of an experience then classic museum. Which is a good thing!

I went with my 9 year old son, who ate up the hands on time with the vast array of tops, games, and intricate pieces. I wont lie, i giggled and played with everything myself, and had just as much fun. This was followed by an I-Spy game, with the winner getting a prize. (Not an easy feat when you see how large this collection actually is!) The demonstration portion was fabulous with audience participation, that shows just how in-depth "toys" like tops and yo-yo's can be. The owner and presenter, Judith was entertaining, personable, and informative. With thousands of tops, and yo-yo's its visually a feast for the eyes. I look forward to going again!

Visited March 2013

Milwaukee
“An experience, not a museum, does not take plastic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We, husband, son and myself, preregistered for a Spinning Top event at this 'museum'. The charge is usually $15 per person, but registering in advance saved $2 per person. Worth the price of admission?... Yes, with qualifications.

You are attending a show that has a set schedule. If you want to purchase from the gift shop, and we did, be prepared to stay for the entire duration of the show (2 1/2 - 3 hours). We were greeted in the 'gift shop' portion of the building and waited for the other registered attendees. Be forewarned- you can only touch 4 spinning tops on the central table in the gift shop, some of the items you may wish to purchase are not on display and only behind the counter, and the proprietor is .... well quirky and may get on your nerves.

A video is viewed to explain how all the different spinning tops should be operated, then you sit through comments and instruction which repeat what was viewed. There is a lot of sitting and listening, the attendees supplying the required responses, and, lets be honest, a lot of sitting and watching/listening.

That being said, the interactive portion of the show is amazing... we played with spinning tops I never even knew existed, played games with tops, interacted with other attendees, had contests with the tops, you get the idea.

Then comes the 'demonstration' portion of the show - more sitting and listening, some audience participation, way too much information and time spent learning about a movie that had spinning tops as a central element (1994, and the proprietor consulted on)

Then, to the gift shop and out. As noted, cash and check only. No photos are allowed (security concerns).

Will we return? Perhaps, for a logic puzzle event, after a break.

Note - they do not sell yoyos to children under 7 years old.

Visited February 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
“"Look at my nose" "Look at my nose"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I were browsing the Burlington shops before a movie and went into the Spinning Top Museum. The front of the small cramped shop is a mix of older collectible items and new puzzles and games. The back of the shop is the actual museum that is only open by appointment. Barely got thru the door when we were accosted by the museum director who told us not to touch anything. Never been to a toy shop where you can only touch 1 demo item. She should have her "collectibles" separated from her items for sale. Forced to watch her "demo" of several toys--when all I wanted to do was browse. If we looked away---she reprimanded for not paying attention. "Look at my nose" "Look at my nose"------when I was browsing she then states that I don't want to participate---I must be on "vacation". After she demonstrates a game she then will say---"I Spy Where"--"I Spy Where" The museum director needs to tone down her overbearing, attitude.

Visited December 2012