“It's written in the stars (Star Gazer that is).” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Bowler
Type: Amusement
Appleton, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“It's written in the stars (Star Gazer that is).”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice casino located in the central area of Shawano Co. between Ho-Chunk Wittenberg and Menominee Casino in Keshena. Ironic too that they offer somewhere in between to better than these competitors with thier promotions.
An example is...well, senior day. All 3 offer this promo, and all 3 even follow the same theory of 5 pts. for $10.00 free play. Well, 6 or 12 bucks a point (depends what style of game you're playing) is $30 or 60 that you'd have to recycle to get your $10 at Menominee. Meanwhile, its $10.00 a point at Wittenberg (=$50 recycled), and North Star is simply $4.00 a point meaning a twenty dollar bill cycled through once would give your the required 5 points needed for the $10.00 in free play. Pretty good.
Also, they do have a bad reputation for food. I agree if its the snack shop or Longhouse, however, the burgers, pizza, and wings at The Groove (bar off to the west side between cashier station and snack shop, not to be confused with the center bar) are excellent and very reasonably priced.
Feeling macho? Trying to impress someone or prove that "i'm the man (or woman)!" Do you have a high tolerance for hot food? Welp, here's your chance to prove it! Simply order 10 wings (I recommend doing this on a Thursday when they're 25 cents apiece) and eat them all in twenty minutes w/o drinks and your wings are free, plus name on the wall plaque, bragging rights, and $50.00 in free play (and I believe they give you a free drink, chaser, and glass of milk upon completion?) I failed miserably at this, however, I have some pointers that may help others achieve success: get drunk (if you're a drinker), peel the meat off the bones first, touch them as little as possible, and shake some of that sauce off 'em, then just like 6 bites or so and the job's done (I know this for a fact as I witnessed this live and coaxed a good friend into doing this- after they were scared to try it themselves seeing as I had failed)!
I'm looking forward to the September promotion on Wednesdays
With that in mind, I am very excited about the new promotion this month. If history repeats itself it'll be quite the treat! Now the star gazer outside cover says "1/2 RACK OF PORK RIBS" (w/ fries and coleslaw) for $3.50 (Wow! are you kidding me?) , while the calendar inside says it's "1/2 LB. of pork ribs". Either way it had my curiousity up there, and i'll find out in a few hours here.
Yes, yes, i know i know... There's a naysayer out there saying or thinking to themselves, "Why didn't this guy just complete his review after he experienced the ribs?" Yah maybe, but why wait.
It may be somewhat of an impulsive decision on my part, however, I have yet to be disappointed with ANY food or drink promotions at The Groove, so at this point they've earned my trust that they will serve a great product to the customer base. 'Nuf said, time to go!

Visited August 2013

“Great casino, cheap rooms and bad food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We love the casino! Lots of machines and they are fun! Excellent center bar. The rooms are basic but very clean. Nothing fancy but comfy beds. The only bad thing is the food!!! None of the restaurants is very good but they are fairly cheap! They have 24 flavors of soft serve ice cream flavored with chemicals. My strawberry was
Horrible, it had an awful chemical taste and I tossed it. Better to have plain old vanilla and chocolate but do them well. The Longhouse restaurant's griddle was out so there were no pancakes. The supper menu was limited and food just ok. We discovered a great restaurant in Gesham, just 5 min away called "the woodland" and ran into another couple from the casino for supper. EXCELLENT food and ver reasonable! We came back for our next day's breakfast and lunch. Well worth the 5 min drive!!!! Great casino, decent cheap rooms but bad food!!!