“Overpriced and mediocre” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Madison, Wisconsin
“Overpriced and mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've been to many Applebee's and reviewed this one before but to my surprise it's gone down hill. Last night I had a taste for bbq ribs so I decided on Applebee's. That was a mistake. My waitress informed me that the full slab would be $19 or $14 for the half slab of ribs. The staff is quite friendly here and the restaurant is clean. My problem is with their pricing and food. When my food came the "slab" was already cut in half but seemed smaller than it should have been. It's very easy to just count the number of bones in a rack of ribs. A half slab should have 6 bones (minimum) and a full slab should have at least 12 bones. My Applebee's "full slab" order had a total of 8 very thin baby back ribs. I don't make a habit of ever sending food back to the kitchen so I decided to express my displeasure in this forum rather than have the cook do who knows what to returned food. I've noticed on other occasions that this Applebee's (and some other locations) try to cut corners in quality and portion while their price remains somewhat steep for what is a step above fast food or equal to fast food. There is a Famous Daves BBQ restaurant about 15 minutes away with authentic and delicious bbq, so I was kicking myself after paying $20 plus tip for this rip off. I guess Applebee's thinks their guests either can't count or won't notice the fact that 8 bones does not equal a slab in any world other than theirs. I'd just ordered the same menu item five days ago from an Applebee's near McCarren airport in Las Vegas while traveling and received the full slab (12 bones) and was unable to finish it because I was too full. Time to give up on this Applebee's location. Unless you're walking, there are other options in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Attentive Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Staff was very attentive, food came out hot and within a very reasonable time for our large (11) group.

Visited September 2013
Gladstone, Missouri
“Late evening food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went to Applebee's around 9:30 in the evening. The staff were friendly and prompt to wait on us. The food was good. Everything was fresh and hot that we ordered. The restaurant was busy. We were not rushed to finish our meal even though it was close to closing time.

Visited July 2013
Johnstown, Pennslyvania
“Better than the one at home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I ordered the steak and rib combo.It was excellent and perfectly prepared. Service was great. Much better than the one in our hometown.

Visited June 2013
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Love the 2 for $20 meals with an appetizer. Great food with excellent service. Got plenty to eat with yummy desserts.

Visited May 2013

Been to Applebee's? Share your experiences!