“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, United States
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Excellent restaurant. Very nostalgic. The people were very friendly and the service was the best. The owner was doing the cooking. The fish fry was excellent. I had the deep fried breaded perch and my wife had baked perch. Definitely will go back for more.

Visited September 2013

Mayville
“Excellent Perch sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My mom and I had a wonderful experience! My mom had lived in Beaver Dam back in the 90's and she was so hoping the place would be open when we drove by over Labor Day weekend. It was, we stopped, they served us before 4:30 and we reminisced! I hope they have many good years ahead serving the Beaver Dam community.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“GREAT-T-T!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had not been there since 1992 and it was like "walking back in time" - in a good way. We went back to BEAVER DAM for a funeral and decided to eat at one of the places we used to go with my husband's parents. It was so nice to see that it hadn't been totally re-done like so many older establishments. Even the menu had most of the same dishes. We got to talk to the former owner, Rose and met the new owners - her son and daughter-in-law. My husband had a bone-in rib eye and loved it. I had the 8 oz. filet and could have cut it with my fork. The service was fabulous. It was a wonderful experience and if we are ever in the area again, will definitely make it our first stop!!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Waupun,WI
“We are back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The new owners are doing a great job. We have gone twice this month after 2 years of not even thinking about going. Had a bad experience 3 years ago with the food. Both times in the last month the food was very tasty and the salads very fresh. If you haven't been there in awhile give it a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
“Could be Good with Some Tweaks and lower prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had planned not to review this restaurant, as I sympathize with the family, have not been here for years, and perhaps just hit them at a bad time. But reviews might help them improve, if they are read and taken to heart. So here is our experience. We ate here on Mother's Day and were saddened to see that the quality had declined so since we ate there last several years ago. We arrived around 2:30, so perhaps it had been busier earlier, but there was only a handful of people there when we were there. First, the meat and fish that we had were well prepared and tasty, so the main dishes were fine, no complaints. The service was adequate and friendly, no complaints there, either. We did not take the buffet, as the food on it looked like it had been sitting out for hours and was not fresh or replenished. Also, the "salads" that I saw were swimming in dressing: one was noodles floating in a white creamy dressing; one was cubes of jello in whipped cream. The bread in the bread basket brought to our table seemed to be small hamburger buns, pre-sliced- not dinner rolls. The beer cheese accompanying the crackers was provided in a minuscule quantity, certainly inadequate for four people; I didn't even eat any so that the others could have it, but they said it was good. The cole slaw with my fish was also in an inadequate amount, which is not unusual for restaurants, but it tasted fine. My baked potato was ok, but my daughter-in-law's fries were under-cooked. I thought the prices were ridiculously high for the type of food and atmosphere; the surf and turf is $49! I have had lobster at a nice restaurant in Manhattan for less than that! Considering that anyone can be in Madison from Beaver Dam within 40 minutes and choose from a wide variety of restaurants with lower prices and better food, I'm surprised that anyone still eats here. In fact, I imagine that one reason for the low number of people eating there is that we now have several better restaurants in Beaver Dam, with lower prices, unlike during the days when the Buckhorn was more popular. Most people have learned more about healthy eating and no longer consider jello and pasta to be salads and expect some actual fresh vegetables with a meal. The chef here is capable of preparing tasty food. I would suggest that the owners and chef visit some other successful restaurants and tweak their menu to fit the times and health needs of our changing population. Tastes have changed among a majority of their possible customers.

• Visited May 2013