“Perfect place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barneveld
Iowa
“Perfect place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been by here a few times over the years but never looked at staying. Plus I'd guess it would've cost more then what I would want to pay. Great location, nicely done rooms and cool indoor mini waterpark. Any kid would love it for sure. The use of the waterslides is limited due to not being able to have a life guard on hand daily. Oh, be sure to get one of their own pizza's VERY good!

Room Tip: bring your swim wear!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Stillwater, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Let me start by saying that there isn't much else in Barneveld other than the Deer Valley Lodge. Fortunately, there are a ton of places to visit in an hour's drive or less. We came to stay for two days (Sunday and Monday nights) with a group of six, including two kids, to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday. We stayed in one of the king bunk bed suites. Because we stayed weeknights, we were given a GREAT rate on the room. The breakfast was similar to that in the big chain hotels - cereals, breads/donuts, yogurt, waffles, fruit, juice, coffee. The pool area was perfect for our family. Although the big slides aren't typically open on weeknights, the pool was spacious, the hot tub was huge, the fountains and smaller slides were tons of fun for the kids, and everything was much cleaner than the big hotels in the Dells. It was a great home base for a trip to Circus World, House on the Rock, Little Norway, and Cave of the Mounds. Great trip and a real value for family travel.

Room Tip: Call and ask about specials, especially if you're staying on a week night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tami B
WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We made it back to Deer Valley, It was awsome. We met some other people there that were having as much fun as us. The staff at the front desk were nice and helpful(Lindsay) and the young man in the Rusty nail was fun. We can't wait to come back in the spring and play golf and stay again. We love Deer Valley.

Room Tip: Upgraded to a suite at a good rate during the week.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights and would not come back again. Every day, I had to stop off at the front desk because my keycard stopped working. The maid did not make the bed (no, none of my personal effects were on the bed) and the noise level was horrendous - slamming doors and shouting in the hallways all night long. Additionally, it was hit or miss with the Wi-fi - sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. Will stay in Mt. Horeb next time around.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sean H

Travelers are raving about these Barneveld hotels

Plymouth, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the Sunday before Labor Day. Another review for this facility recommended staying on the top floor so lessen the noise from other guests. The hotel was not all that busy, so noise was not a problem at all.

The staff was very young but friendly. Our room had a single King sized bed which was comfortable. The room was very large and clean with a view of the golf course. The breakfast bar was nice with lots of seating.

We played golf on Sunday and Monday. The course was in nice shape and fun to play with lots of elevation changes.

We always eat at the Grumpy Troll in Mount Horeb when in this area. It's one of our favorite places to eat with beer brewed on site and great food!

I can't think of any negatives, we had a great time.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Baraboo, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My experience at Deer Valley Lodge in August of 2011 was pretty bad. The room said “Whirlpool Suite” and I guess if I would have viewed the pictures the way we entered the room I would not have reserved it and paid extra for it. The 2 double beds are next to each other and the pool is 10 inches from one of the beds. Privacy was out of the question with kids in the room.
The pool area was nothing to brag about but may be good for small children. We sat at the only table that had the least amount of food drippings on it. The next day we went to the same table and it still had the same dried up ketchup and food drippings on it. The bathroom in the pool area also had feces around the sides and bottom of the toilet in the men’s room and was there all 3 days. I did see a maid finally clean in there as we were checking out on Sunday.
The first night I had some magnetic bumper stickers stolen off my vehicle. I asked the girl at the desk for the manager or owner and they stated they were off for the weekend and could not be reached. I had to call the Sherriff myself because she didn’t “want to get involved”. Come to find out they only have one entrance camera and nothing to see into the parking lot.
Last but not least, I went to use the one working computer to check my email through a web email program. Someone downloaded a virus on the computer which records your typing and memorizes your password. The program sent a virus out to all my email accounts. I had my email carrier and email address for 15 years and never had this happen. Needless to say I paid a premium price for a poor experience. I paid less at the Hyatt in Chicago. Beware and don’t expect much.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the whirlpool suite if you want privacy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Simtec
dvlmanager, Manager at Deer Valley Lodge & Golf, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your most recent stay. We apologize that the Double Queen Whirlpool Suite did not exceed your expectations and provide the privacy that you were looking for. We will talk to our front desk staff about being more informative when describing rooms to our guests, so we can provide our customers with a room the is right for them, as we do have whirlpool suite that does offer more privacy. We attempt to update our website with recent pictures of each of the rooms and descriptions whenever possible so guests can view their rooms prior to arrival.

Thank you for your input on the cleanliness of our Water Park tables and restrooms. We pride ourselves on being clean family fun hotel and it is really disappointing to hear that we failed on the weekend of your stay. We will share this feedback with the Head of Housekeeping and have her work with the Housekeeping Team to ensure that our cleanliness standards are understood.

I want to thank you for informing us of the virus that we had on one of our computerS. The computer has been sent in for repairs and will have the virus removed.

We commit ourselves to continually listening to our guests' needs and feedback to make sure we're doing everything we can to ensure enjoyable family vacations on our property. If you would like to contact us to discuss your concerns further, please call me (Travis Elvert - Hotel Manger) at 608-924-1600.
Deer Valley Lodge Management Team
Bradley, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just visited this past weekend. Stayed 2 nights. Our room was located on the first floor. The first night, there were kids running above us all night long Sounded like a herd of buffaloes. Complained 3 times and I don't think it helped any as the kiddies ran/jumped harder every time we complained. The next night was 100 times worse as we still had the kids running above us and now there was a wedding reception in the banquet hall and at 1:30 in the morning all the drunks came to hotel and were knocking on the wrong doors and trying their key cards in the wrong rooms. Very, very, very noisy!!! On top of that since there was a wedding reception there was no parking when we got back to the lodge. We had to park in the back in the grass. Very unaccommodating since we were a paying guest. On the flip side the rooms were clean and decorated nicely. Pool/water park was great for the kids (although the slides were only open in the late afternoon to evening). jacuzzi was amazing. Continental breakfast was definitely continental doughnuts, bagels, toast and cereal. Our party also ordered food from the Rusty Saloon and thought the food was terrible. Also wanted to speak to the manager while we were there but that person was never there. More than likely we will not be back.

Room Tip: Request room on top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rubberducki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barneveld
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Mount Horeb
Karakahl Country Inn
Karakahl Country Inn
#3 of 3 in Mount Horeb
3.0 of 5 stars 84 reviews

Been to Deer Valley Lodge & Golf? Share your experiences!