“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Regina - Canada
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stayed here for two nights in early August 2006. We were visiting the Wisconsin Dells.

The checkin clerk was very accomodating. Initially they only had a non-smoking room (our preference) for one night (we wanted two nights). She phoned the other Best Western to see what they had. We decided to stay anyway, and the next day a non-smoking room came available.

So we ended up with two rooms - one for each night. Both rooms were large and clean. The A/C worked well - good thing as it was quite warm outside.

The beds in both rooms were large and comfortable

The pool and exercise room both looked nice, but we didn't use either.

The rate was very reasonable.

We ate at Bonzo's, the attached restaurant, both evenings. We were tired the first night and just wanted the convenience. But the food was so good, we went there again the second night.

The only complaint was that there was no milk at the breakfast bar. I noticed this has been mentioned in other reviews, so perhaps they have a problem. Imagine - no milk in Wisconsin!

All in all, it was a fine stay and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

Yes, this was exactly what I expected based on the tripadvisor reviews. I liked it - it was very affordable, it was in a good location and it was pretty nice. The hotel is in West Baraboo, not Baraboo itself, which is a bit of a shame because Baraboo is a very cute little town whereas West Baraboo just has a highway, a bad mall, a grocery store and some motels. However, we were only 5 mins drive from Baraboo, and I don't think there was anywhere to stay in Baraboo anyway. We were also only a few mins drive from Devils Lake State Park (hiking, climbing, sailing and swimming etc). I also read that we were only a little way from Wisconsin Dells (water parks, wineries and dinner cruises etc). The hotel was nice, if a little bit dated and musty, (probably due for a refurbishment) and breakfast was pretty good.

• Liked — Proximity to Babarboo and Devils Lake
  • Disliked — Couldn't walk to anywhere
  • Tips/Secrets — Use your AAA card to get a discount
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

Stayed at the Best Western Baraboo about 8 times over the past 12 years and have never had a bad experience. The rooms are always clean. The pool is a good size, and the hot tub is great.

The have a karaoke bar the past few years and it is a blast. A little intimidating since the locals are pretty good.

The hotel is close to Cascade and Devil's Head ski resorts. Also, close to all the water parks too. Staff are very nice and attentive.

There are several restaurants nearby as well as a convenience store in case you forgot to pack something. Never disappointed staying here.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

I stayed at this Best Western for the first time. I liked the value and services. Good location, friendly staff, nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. The rooms are very comfortable and exceptionally clean. Their facilities are well maintained and the rooms very easy to get to which is important for me since I always bring a lot of stuff with me. The nice pub, which is attached to the hotel, serves good food. The staff is always very friendly and helpful as was evidenced by the assistance I received from them when I recently had trouble with my car. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Chicago, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2006

After staying at a different property in town the night before, I check into the Best Western and enjoyed my stay from the beginning. My check-in was prompt and professional, and I really felt welcomed.

The room was very nice. The décor and amenities were just what I was looking for. I stayed at a room apparently designed for a business traveler, and must admit they got it right.

That same evening I had a swim in the pool and used the fitness room. Both facilities were very clean and conveniently located. The only problem was that my room was far from the ice machine.

Later in the evening I had a meal at their restaurant. The food was very nicely prepared and tasted great. Enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning.

Overall I would recommend this property to other guests especially if you travel on business.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Palatine, Illinois USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

We stayed at this hotel 1/15/06 while skiing at Cascade Mountain. The rooms were adequate and clean however some of the little things were annoying.

There were no towels in our room when we checked in at night. We had to wait for housekeeping to bring them before we could take a shower.

During the day we tried to get into the side door of the building. Neither key card would not open the door. We had to walk around to the front door. Then our key cards would not open the door to our room. We had to walk back to the front desk. Our key cards had mysteriously been deactivated.

When my children when down to the continental breakfast at 8:00 A.M. there was no milk. They were told someone had gone out to buy some and would be back in 10 minutes. When my wife and I went down at 8:30 A.M. there was no milk. We complained and they said some one had gone out to buy milk and would be back in 10 minutes. At 9:00 when we were finished with our milk less breakfast we stopped at the desk and complained once again that there was no milk. We were assured that someone from housekeeping had gone out to buy milk and would be back in 10 minutes.

The people staying next to us had a microwave oven in their room and we did not. We paid a higher rate then they did. When inquiring at the desk they said not all the rooms have microwave ovens. It you want one make sure you ask at check in.

For the kind of money you have to pay to stay here you can probably do better elseware.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!