“Awful management” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Reedsburg, Wisconsin, United States
“Awful management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed there 2 nights ago. Woke up to 2 inches of water overflowing from the toilet and the bathtub. Everything we had was wet... soaked with toilet water. I even had to throw my toothbrush out because it was so gross. During the night my boyfriend's finger bled on the sheets. i called this morning for a refund and they said that they tried to CHARGE US for the damages in the room and they had NO IDEA what could have possibly gone on in that room. The manager, Melissa (I think her name was) proceeded to tell me I was a liar and that we should be liable to the damages not only from the water but the blood on the sheets. I mean SERIOUSLY HOW is that our fault that we wake up to the toilet backing up! We couldn't even get ready for the day and had to leave without changing clothes because everything was WET. THis is TOTALLY wrong. This manager needs to go back to school to learn how to deal with conflict resolution.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Kari,

I want to start this letter by offering further contact with you personally. I sat in on the phone call Melissa, our General Manager, made to you. I had originally returned your call and left a voicemail for you, and out of concern for the subject matter we typically find it wise to have as many people listen in on such exchanges. We would be happy to further explain to you our documentation and concern about your stay.

I have worked under Melissa at this property for 5 of the 13 years she has been at this property. I have never seen her lose her professionalism in any tough situation. She always adheres to hotel and brand policy in her guest interaction. I would like very much to speak to you personally about the language you have chosen on this venue as I respect her very much as an employee and co-manager, and it pains me that your impression is so very different from what I and many others know of her.

The charges you mentioned (which were not made) would not have been for the water damage in the room. The charges would have been for the documented blood. This led to several towels, a shower curtain, and bed sheeting having to be discarded. The registration slip that you and all guests sign at check in states very clearly that guests will be financially liable for damage to the furniture, linens, etc. We do keep a fully stocked first aid kit at our front desk, and had we been informed of any injury we would have very gladly helped contain the issue.

I know there was some confusion on our end about where the water in the room was coming from as there were discrepancies in our documentation from the front desk, Melissa’s conversation with you, and now what we are reading on TripAdvisor. We are still not entirely sure what happened, and we would, again, be happy to come to a more concrete conclusion. Our confusion lies in the fact that a backup, as you had thought, of some sort would have affected the two rooms sharing your water line, and we didn’t encounter this issue in any other room.

I would ask that any fellow TripAdvisors concerned about your review and our management and hotel staff please contact me or Melissa personally. We have several forms of documentation on file at the property (including time-stamped photos) concerning this issue, and I would be glad to set anyone’s mind at ease by sharing more of the story behind this review.

Please feel free to contact me personally at 608.356.1100 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com. Melissa may be reached at bestwestern@baraboo.com.

Christine

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Oshkosh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

staff was friendly, beds super comfortable, and rooms very nice, wouldn't recommend the restaurant, was nice getting a free breakfast but the staff in the restaurant didn't come back to table after serving us, example for refills,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Becky V,

I appreciate any guest feedback on TripAdvisor, but I particularly appreciate reviews like yours- your input affirmed what we are doing well but also gave us direction as to where we can improve. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in reviewing your stay with us.

I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our staff. Most of our front desk keeps us with our TripAdvisor page, but I will pass along compliments to housekeeping and maintenance as well. We are blessed with a staff that has a collective heart for hospitality, and having guests that share kind, encouraging words is invaluable.

I also want to apologize for the poor service experience in Bonzos for breakfast. I had similar feedback last week, and our General Manager spoke to the waitress in question. I am assuming this was the same server, and I am hoping we’ve addressed the issue adequately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as guest feedback is one of the only ways for us to know about this sort of issue.

Thank you, again, and I hope to see you again soon. As always- feel free to contact me directly should you have further questions, comments, or concerns,

Mundelein, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The main hotel entry area is littered with cigarette butts and stains. Add to that, the walk from the 3rd floor elevator to our room was scarey. This is because the carpet was blotched with lots of stains. That is anything but inviting. There is mold growing on the bathroom floor near the door in room 309 as well as through out the floor with the exception of the area where the shower rug/towel is most likely to be placed. The each of the chairs in the breakfast area had crumbs on the cloth seats. It should come as no surprise that we will not be returning to this hotel. Read my review of the Best Western in Rice Lake, WI as a comparison.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hourglassman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and impressions after your stay with us here in Baraboo. I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet mutual expectations, but I am happy to share with you that all of your concerns have been since addressed or are in process of being addressed.

In September we underwent our Property Improvement Plan with Best Western. This is a brand mandated design review in which we have a professional team come in and give us required updates that need to be met within a certain time frame. Next year, 204, will mark year one of a three year complete renovation of the property. The time of renovation may be extended to 5 years, but each year we will be required to complete specific projects. The extension of two years has not yet been approved, but with the amount of renovation required the board may allow us extra time to complete our renovation.

The first year we have proposed the entryway, lobby, public corridors (carpeting), and other public areas we renovated. These would address your concerns about the stained cement in the entryway and carpeting. We did inspect the room in which you stayed after receiving your previous guest survey response, and while we didn’t find mold on the tiling we did see discoloration, and we’ve addressed it as best as possible. However, this issue will also be addressed during the room renovation stage (years 2-3 of our process). Thank you, again, for bringing this issue to our attention.

I also want to thank you for sharing your concern about the crumbs on the seats in Bonzos, our attached restaurant. I have spoken to our wait staff about not wiping the tables onto the floor/seats. I assure you that we do vacuum and shampoo the seats in Bonzos (shampooing last done the first week of November), and I am hoping my meeting with the staff with address the carelessness of mid-shift maintenance cleaning.

I hope you will come back and visit us. The first portion of our year one renovations should be occurring in early spring. If you’d like to contact me directly about these plans or about any other concerns please feel free to do so anytime.

Best Western Baraboo Inn
Burlington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Best Western in Baraboo, WI. Every year I take a few days off in the fall to visit the WI Dells area, as I have some friends in the area that I visit and I enjoy going to the casino, seeing the fall colors, and doing some shopping at the Dells' specialty shops. I like that the Dells area is a bit less chaotic in the fall months after the busy summer winds down. I have stayed at this Best Western in the past, but I stayed at some other hotels in the area the last few times I visited since there are so many lodging options. I have to say that the Best Western in Baraboo is still one of my favorite places to stay in the area, and I was glad that I went with Best Western again! At check-in, Daniel at the front desk was extremely friendly and personable. I immediately remembered the face from a previous stay at this hotel and remembered him being very helpful then. Daniel recognized me from having stayed at the hotel a few years back, and he said "Welcome Back!" I was very impressed that a front desk employee would remember me like that, especially since it had been about 2 1/2 years since my last stay at Best Western. Daniel was very quick and efficient with my check in, and he asked what brought me to the area. When I mentioned the casino, he was helpful with information about the free shuttle service to the casino. I did not use this service since I went to the casino with one of my friends who lives in Baraboo, but he seemed very knowledgeable on everything the area had to offer. I would always be engaged in conversation by Daniel every time I left or returned through the lobby. The other front desk staff members were friendly as well, but Daniel really stands out to me as going above and beyond to make me feel welcome. I had a room with a king bed on the 3rd floor. I was given a choice between a room facing front or back, and I chose the front because I enjoy the view of the highway and the traffic noises actually help me to sleep. My room was clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the variety of TV stations that the hotel offered. I slept well here, and it was quiet. The free breakfast served in the restaurant off the menu was a nice touch. It was nice to get a breakfast comparable to at a Perkins or Denny's restaurant all for free with the room stay. I was never in a hurry, but I can see how having a sit-down breakfast like this could be inconvenient to guests who want an on-the-go breakfast. I spent about double the time down at breakfast each day than I do at a typical continental breakfast where you serve yourself. For the quality of the food, though, it was a nice trade off. I enjoyed using the indoor pool and whirlpool as well. This hotel was a great value, too. I paid less than $80 per night after taxes, which I found to be very reasonable considering that the hotel has a lot to offer. All in all, I had another great experience at the Best Western Baraboo. I will probably stay here again the next time I visit the Dells area since this hotel consistently meets all of my needs and has a friendly staff consisting of people who care. Great stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Mark E,

My heart was absolutely warmed to read your review of our hotel. Stays like yours are exactly what we strive to provide for our guests, and it is amazingly encouraging to know that we were able to do just that for you.

I especially appreciate your review in light of your regular stays in our area and full knowledge of the other options you have available to you. There are a lot of hotels in the Dells area, and I very glad you chose to come visit us again.

Daniel has an amazing heart for hospitality and relationship building. All of us on staff strive to build relationships with our returning guests, but he has a special gift to remember people’s names and faces. I know he will be incredibly happy to know that he made a positive impact on your stay.

I also want to thank you for your review of the breakfast we are now offering in our restaurant. There is a definite time trade off involved with the new format, and we have been working to communicate this to guests prior to their arrival- it isn’t grab and go anymore! The more our guests share with each other the benefits and changes the better. I really appreciate you explaining the format here on Trip Advisor.

I am so glad that Baraboo has become a quiet and friendly vacation destination for you. I am particularly glad we’ll get to see you again during another visit. If you have any questions or concerns before your next visit please feel free to contact me directly,

Rockford, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room was dirty, the tolit had poo stains in it. There were no outlets to plug a charger in by the bed. I followed the lamp plug on the night stand only to be scared of how much trash was behind the bed. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in years. I ate breakfast at the hotel. It was a very bad experience. I was seated right away and then asked what I would care for to drink. I asked for a cup of coffee with creamer. There was only one employee waiting on tables and it was very busy. The other employee was actually mopping the floor around guests that were eating. Nobody wants to smell mop water while they are eating. The waitress asked the girl mopping the floors for some help so she went over and picked up my cup of coffee and placed the creamer dish ON TOP of the cup (she didn’t wash her hands first either), then delivered the cup of coffee with the creamer dish still sitting on top of the cup of coffee. When the waitress brought out my order she had one plate sitting on TOP of the food that she was brining to me. When she put them down you could see the ring of the bottom of the plate impressed on top of my pancakes. Very pour service and very pour food sanitation skills. I will never visit your establishment again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Anthony C,

I will keep my response here brief as I know our General Manager, Melissa Lentz, has been in communication with you since receiving your response to our Medallia survey in an effort to make reparation.

I do appreciate that you’ve taken the time to post your impression and experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. As Melissa shared with you previously, it is always disappointing when we hear about an issue that could have been resolved and corrected after a guest has left the hotel.

Please know that our staff would have been very happy to correct the cleanliness issues at the front end of your stay. We would much prefer to apologize and take action while you are still with us than apologize after the stay has ended.

I will also assure you that Melissa has shared the issues you’ve reported since with our staff. Our front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping staff were all given copies of your response and the appropriate employees taken aside privately.

I hope that your communications with Melissa are going well, and I will let her know that you’ve shared your experience on Trip Advisor. I know you already have her contact information, but if there is anything I might be able to help you with please feel free to contact me as well,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

For a very low rate I was impressed. The front desk attendant on check-in, Daniel, was very efficient. We called in advance and he was very helpful and very smooth check-in. Perfect greeting. The pool area is clean - it's small but there are also balls for your enjoyment already in there. We didn't use the pool - just the hot tub - but if our daughter was with us it would have been great for her.

Our main purpose was to go to the casino. The casino does a shuttle - all you have to do is call the front desk for it which adds to the value of the hotel.

Breakfast was pretty good - not up my alley though in what I would normally eat. My husband's pancakes tasted a little funny. I felt bad as the girls who were working were busting their butts but they seemed short staffed. I don't know if someone called in? In any case, we noticed a slight lag in our service but not much. Like another reviewer mentioned - this is a nice option but I would have also liked to just grab a bagel and yogurt in the morning.

Coffee in the lobby was out before we left and the front desk offered to get another cup. That was nice. Great service all around. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Amanda T,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words for Daniel. He truly has a heart for hospitality, and I think he especially has a heart for our guests’ experiences. I am so glad to have him on staff to help our guests and share the Midwestern friendliness we have grown up knowing. I will, of course, share you review with him the next time he is scheduled.

I also want to thank you for your comments about the pool area. We have a maintenance person who works very hard maintaining the pool, and while we do have some renovations needed in the pool area, h really does maintain what we have well. I will definitely share your encouraging words with him.

I am very glad that you were able to take advantage of the Casino shuttle. It is a wonderful service that they provide, and I will let the dispatcher know you were grateful.

I will also keep your breakfast format preference on file. I personally share your preference, and we are looking to make a few changes in the current format. We are trying to come up with some ideas to keep the cooked-to-order format while providing an option that is more convenient for on-the-go guests. I would love to hear if you have any ideas!

Thank you, again, for the feedback. I hope you will contact me should you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here on a week night and paid roughly $75 for the night in a king size bed hotel room. The man at the front desk who checked us in, had to be the nicest most professional man. He heard I was there for a funeral, and saw that my brother was also staying there (weird first name, same last name-assumed), got us rooms next to each other, and had a map of the funeral home in relation to the hotel. He also made suggestions for food in the area since the restaurant was closed. Overall he went out of his way to help us. The restaurant service was decent during breakfast the next morning. Food was fine. Good room for the amount paid. My only complaint would be about the bed- It was uncomfortable, and so were the pillows. Decor wasn't great either, but who really cares.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Ty86V,

I know that Daniel frequently reads the reviews that are posted to our TripAdvisor page in an effort to help address concerns, but I want to assure you that I will be sharing your review with him directly. He has an amazing heart for our guests, and he has a particular gift for addressing the individual needs of guests. I am so glad to hear how he served your during your stay, and I really appreciate the kind words of affirmation you have shared.

We are currently in the process of addressing a 3 year Property Improvement Plan. We are in the stage of planning with parts of the renovation need to happen in year one, two, and three. I would very much appreciate if you could share what room you stayed in, or the dates of your stay- enough information for me to figure out which mattress needs replacing. We have pillowtop beds in our hotel, and while these mattresses are very comfortable initially we are finding that they need replacing sooner than mattresses that can be flipped/rotated. I am very sorry for the discomfort, and I hope to address it soon.

The décor of the hotel is a major part of the 3-year plan. If you’d like to hear more about it please feel free to contact our general manager or myself for more information.

Again, thank you so much for sharing with us. I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you to our area, but I do hope you will return to us in the future for happier reasons,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!