“This place needs a face lift!” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Mundelein, Illinois
“This place needs a face lift!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The main hotel entry area is littered with cigarette butts and stains. Add to that, the walk from the 3rd floor elevator to our room was scarey. This is because the carpet was blotched with lots of stains. That is anything but inviting. There is mold growing on the bathroom floor near the door in room 309 as well as through out the floor with the exception of the area where the shower rug/towel is most likely to be placed. The each of the chairs in the breakfast area had crumbs on the cloth seats. It should come as no surprise that we will not be returning to this hotel. Read my review of the Best Western in Rice Lake, WI as a comparison.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hourglassman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and impressions after your stay with us here in Baraboo. I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet mutual expectations, but I am happy to share with you that all of your concerns have been since addressed or are in process of being addressed.

In September we underwent our Property Improvement Plan with Best Western. This is a brand mandated design review in which we have a professional team come in and give us required updates that need to be met within a certain time frame. Next year, 204, will mark year one of a three year complete renovation of the property. The time of renovation may be extended to 5 years, but each year we will be required to complete specific projects. The extension of two years has not yet been approved, but with the amount of renovation required the board may allow us extra time to complete our renovation.

The first year we have proposed the entryway, lobby, public corridors (carpeting), and other public areas we renovated. These would address your concerns about the stained cement in the entryway and carpeting. We did inspect the room in which you stayed after receiving your previous guest survey response, and while we didn’t find mold on the tiling we did see discoloration, and we’ve addressed it as best as possible. However, this issue will also be addressed during the room renovation stage (years 2-3 of our process). Thank you, again, for bringing this issue to our attention.

I also want to thank you for sharing your concern about the crumbs on the seats in Bonzos, our attached restaurant. I have spoken to our wait staff about not wiping the tables onto the floor/seats. I assure you that we do vacuum and shampoo the seats in Bonzos (shampooing last done the first week of November), and I am hoping my meeting with the staff with address the carelessness of mid-shift maintenance cleaning.

I hope you will come back and visit us. The first portion of our year one renovations should be occurring in early spring. If you’d like to contact me directly about these plans or about any other concerns please feel free to do so anytime.

Best Western Baraboo Inn

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Burlington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Best Western in Baraboo, WI. Every year I take a few days off in the fall to visit the WI Dells area, as I have some friends in the area that I visit and I enjoy going to the casino, seeing the fall colors, and doing some shopping at the Dells' specialty shops. I like that the Dells area is a bit less chaotic in the fall months after the busy summer winds down. I have stayed at this Best Western in the past, but I stayed at some other hotels in the area the last few times I visited since there are so many lodging options. I have to say that the Best Western in Baraboo is still one of my favorite places to stay in the area, and I was glad that I went with Best Western again! At check-in, Daniel at the front desk was extremely friendly and personable. I immediately remembered the face from a previous stay at this hotel and remembered him being very helpful then. Daniel recognized me from having stayed at the hotel a few years back, and he said "Welcome Back!" I was very impressed that a front desk employee would remember me like that, especially since it had been about 2 1/2 years since my last stay at Best Western. Daniel was very quick and efficient with my check in, and he asked what brought me to the area. When I mentioned the casino, he was helpful with information about the free shuttle service to the casino. I did not use this service since I went to the casino with one of my friends who lives in Baraboo, but he seemed very knowledgeable on everything the area had to offer. I would always be engaged in conversation by Daniel every time I left or returned through the lobby. The other front desk staff members were friendly as well, but Daniel really stands out to me as going above and beyond to make me feel welcome. I had a room with a king bed on the 3rd floor. I was given a choice between a room facing front or back, and I chose the front because I enjoy the view of the highway and the traffic noises actually help me to sleep. My room was clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the variety of TV stations that the hotel offered. I slept well here, and it was quiet. The free breakfast served in the restaurant off the menu was a nice touch. It was nice to get a breakfast comparable to at a Perkins or Denny's restaurant all for free with the room stay. I was never in a hurry, but I can see how having a sit-down breakfast like this could be inconvenient to guests who want an on-the-go breakfast. I spent about double the time down at breakfast each day than I do at a typical continental breakfast where you serve yourself. For the quality of the food, though, it was a nice trade off. I enjoyed using the indoor pool and whirlpool as well. This hotel was a great value, too. I paid less than $80 per night after taxes, which I found to be very reasonable considering that the hotel has a lot to offer. All in all, I had another great experience at the Best Western Baraboo. I will probably stay here again the next time I visit the Dells area since this hotel consistently meets all of my needs and has a friendly staff consisting of people who care. Great stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Mark E,

My heart was absolutely warmed to read your review of our hotel. Stays like yours are exactly what we strive to provide for our guests, and it is amazingly encouraging to know that we were able to do just that for you.

I especially appreciate your review in light of your regular stays in our area and full knowledge of the other options you have available to you. There are a lot of hotels in the Dells area, and I very glad you chose to come visit us again.

Daniel has an amazing heart for hospitality and relationship building. All of us on staff strive to build relationships with our returning guests, but he has a special gift to remember people’s names and faces. I know he will be incredibly happy to know that he made a positive impact on your stay.

I also want to thank you for your review of the breakfast we are now offering in our restaurant. There is a definite time trade off involved with the new format, and we have been working to communicate this to guests prior to their arrival- it isn’t grab and go anymore! The more our guests share with each other the benefits and changes the better. I really appreciate you explaining the format here on Trip Advisor.

I am so glad that Baraboo has become a quiet and friendly vacation destination for you. I am particularly glad we’ll get to see you again during another visit. If you have any questions or concerns before your next visit please feel free to contact me directly,

Rockford, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room was dirty, the tolit had poo stains in it. There were no outlets to plug a charger in by the bed. I followed the lamp plug on the night stand only to be scared of how much trash was behind the bed. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in years. I ate breakfast at the hotel. It was a very bad experience. I was seated right away and then asked what I would care for to drink. I asked for a cup of coffee with creamer. There was only one employee waiting on tables and it was very busy. The other employee was actually mopping the floor around guests that were eating. Nobody wants to smell mop water while they are eating. The waitress asked the girl mopping the floors for some help so she went over and picked up my cup of coffee and placed the creamer dish ON TOP of the cup (she didn’t wash her hands first either), then delivered the cup of coffee with the creamer dish still sitting on top of the cup of coffee. When the waitress brought out my order she had one plate sitting on TOP of the food that she was brining to me. When she put them down you could see the ring of the bottom of the plate impressed on top of my pancakes. Very pour service and very pour food sanitation skills. I will never visit your establishment again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Anthony C,

I will keep my response here brief as I know our General Manager, Melissa Lentz, has been in communication with you since receiving your response to our Medallia survey in an effort to make reparation.

I do appreciate that you’ve taken the time to post your impression and experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. As Melissa shared with you previously, it is always disappointing when we hear about an issue that could have been resolved and corrected after a guest has left the hotel.

Please know that our staff would have been very happy to correct the cleanliness issues at the front end of your stay. We would much prefer to apologize and take action while you are still with us than apologize after the stay has ended.

I will also assure you that Melissa has shared the issues you’ve reported since with our staff. Our front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping staff were all given copies of your response and the appropriate employees taken aside privately.

I hope that your communications with Melissa are going well, and I will let her know that you’ve shared your experience on Trip Advisor. I know you already have her contact information, but if there is anything I might be able to help you with please feel free to contact me as well,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

For a very low rate I was impressed. The front desk attendant on check-in, Daniel, was very efficient. We called in advance and he was very helpful and very smooth check-in. Perfect greeting. The pool area is clean - it's small but there are also balls for your enjoyment already in there. We didn't use the pool - just the hot tub - but if our daughter was with us it would have been great for her.

Our main purpose was to go to the casino. The casino does a shuttle - all you have to do is call the front desk for it which adds to the value of the hotel.

Breakfast was pretty good - not up my alley though in what I would normally eat. My husband's pancakes tasted a little funny. I felt bad as the girls who were working were busting their butts but they seemed short staffed. I don't know if someone called in? In any case, we noticed a slight lag in our service but not much. Like another reviewer mentioned - this is a nice option but I would have also liked to just grab a bagel and yogurt in the morning.

Coffee in the lobby was out before we left and the front desk offered to get another cup. That was nice. Great service all around. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Amanda T,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words for Daniel. He truly has a heart for hospitality, and I think he especially has a heart for our guests’ experiences. I am so glad to have him on staff to help our guests and share the Midwestern friendliness we have grown up knowing. I will, of course, share you review with him the next time he is scheduled.

I also want to thank you for your comments about the pool area. We have a maintenance person who works very hard maintaining the pool, and while we do have some renovations needed in the pool area, h really does maintain what we have well. I will definitely share your encouraging words with him.

I am very glad that you were able to take advantage of the Casino shuttle. It is a wonderful service that they provide, and I will let the dispatcher know you were grateful.

I will also keep your breakfast format preference on file. I personally share your preference, and we are looking to make a few changes in the current format. We are trying to come up with some ideas to keep the cooked-to-order format while providing an option that is more convenient for on-the-go guests. I would love to hear if you have any ideas!

Thank you, again, for the feedback. I hope you will contact me should you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here on a week night and paid roughly $75 for the night in a king size bed hotel room. The man at the front desk who checked us in, had to be the nicest most professional man. He heard I was there for a funeral, and saw that my brother was also staying there (weird first name, same last name-assumed), got us rooms next to each other, and had a map of the funeral home in relation to the hotel. He also made suggestions for food in the area since the restaurant was closed. Overall he went out of his way to help us. The restaurant service was decent during breakfast the next morning. Food was fine. Good room for the amount paid. My only complaint would be about the bed- It was uncomfortable, and so were the pillows. Decor wasn't great either, but who really cares.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Ty86V,

I know that Daniel frequently reads the reviews that are posted to our TripAdvisor page in an effort to help address concerns, but I want to assure you that I will be sharing your review with him directly. He has an amazing heart for our guests, and he has a particular gift for addressing the individual needs of guests. I am so glad to hear how he served your during your stay, and I really appreciate the kind words of affirmation you have shared.

We are currently in the process of addressing a 3 year Property Improvement Plan. We are in the stage of planning with parts of the renovation need to happen in year one, two, and three. I would very much appreciate if you could share what room you stayed in, or the dates of your stay- enough information for me to figure out which mattress needs replacing. We have pillowtop beds in our hotel, and while these mattresses are very comfortable initially we are finding that they need replacing sooner than mattresses that can be flipped/rotated. I am very sorry for the discomfort, and I hope to address it soon.

The décor of the hotel is a major part of the 3-year plan. If you’d like to hear more about it please feel free to contact our general manager or myself for more information.

Again, thank you so much for sharing with us. I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you to our area, but I do hope you will return to us in the future for happier reasons,

Napoleon, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived to Baraboo and was checked in by a wonderful lady at the front desk. I was given a room at the end of the hallway, which I hoped would be quiet...and it was. When I arrived to the room...it had a strong odor of some kind of air freshener. Not a huge deal, but noticeable anytime you would exit or leave the room. I guess it was better then the smell of smoke, but it was something sort of odd.

The room had a flat-screen TV and the cable picture was OK with a decent number of channels. The wireless internet signal in my room was shaky at best. If I was near the door...I could get a signal once in a while, but while sitting on the bed further from the door...I would get nothing. Maybe another wireless access point toward the end of the hall would solve the issue.

As far as breakfast the next morning...I did not eat it. The hotel provided a voucher for a free breakfast entrée and drink at the adjoining restaurant. I prefer a standard continental breakfast when you can come and go as you please and get something quick. I left early the next morning so just had a snack on the way to my next destination.

I checked out early, and the lady when I checked out was not friendly at all. She never asked how my stay was, just took my room key and I was on my way. I guess I expect a little more from a desk clerk. This probably wasn't the last impression the hotel would want me to have when I left. Doesn't give me much reason to stay there again.

HOWEVER....for the cost and the limited options in Baraboo, I probably WOULD stay there again. My room was quiet and I did not hear much noise from the highway as others mentioned. Baraboo seems like a very nice little town, and I hope to return again someday. I will keep the Best Western in mind for my next stay because of the cost and there really were no real issues with the room.

Room Tip: don't stay in a room at the end of the hall if you want wireless internet signal
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
OhioLW,

Thank you for the thorough review of your experience here with us. You have gone out of your way to touch on the primary concerns that today’s traveler has, and I want you to know how much I appreciate for the affirmation and encouragement to improve.

I have recently had a couple of guests share concerns about an air freshener scent. I have spoken with our head of housekeeping, and we are currently trying to figure out if it is a new product we are using or a housekeeper with an itchy trigger finger on the sprayer. I thank you for giving us this feedback, and I ask that you might share with me the specific dates you’ve stayed so that I might narrow down the housekeeper who cleaned your room.

We did recently have an issue with our wireless internet. There was about a month of spotty service, but we did have a part replaced that seems to have addressed the problem. I am incredibly sorry that this issue affected your stay, and I hope that upon your return to us you won’t encounter the same issue. If you choose to stay with us again I would suggest requesting an “Executive King” room. The rate is the same, but these rooms are designed to be a little more business-traveler friendly. There are extra outlets, larger desks, etc.

I understand your frustration with the breakfast format. I have kept your feedback in a separate file we are keeping for breakfast improvement. We changed the format in an effort to address demands from guests for specific foods and a better quality (keeping scrambled eggs edible on a buffet is difficult). We have, however, had some feedback that is leading us towards making another change in the breakfast area. I don’t know exactly what form this change will be, but I hope you are assured that we are looking to address the “on-the-run” concerns.

I would greatly appreciate if you could email me, directly, about the unfriendly check-out clerk. I want very much to address this issue, as I have had a couple of guests share this concern, but I really need to have more information to match the concern to the appropriate clerk.

I really hope our little town sees you again soon, and we would love to see you again at our hotel. Thank you again, and please feel free to contact me directly with any further information that might help us in improving,

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at this motel several times in the past. Something changed. Staff unfriendly & non caring during entire stay & even on checkout. Carpet in room (old side of motel) was nasty old, dirty looking, had tears by door. Mattress was flimsy & worn & we both had horrible back aches. Only 1 outlet in room-rest were behind heavy furniture & full.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Sparkyann51,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel and staff. I always feel badly hearing about negative experiences after the time has passed to improve a stay, but I really appreciate the opportunity it gives me to improve for future stays.

We recently underwent our Best Western Property Improvement Plan. We had a professional designer come in and go through our entire hotel looking for places for improvement, etc. We are finalizing our 3 year (possibly 5 years) renovation plan. This will eventually address all of the concerns you've shared with us. If you would like to know more about the details of the plan and our timeline please feel free to contact our general manager or myself directly.

We do understand that the carpeting needs replacing, that there are mattresses that need replacing, but I would like very much if you could contact me and let me know which room you stayed in. That would help greatly as I could make sure it is on our list for the mattress replacement. (The carpeting is already on our priority list).

The hotel (even the newer wing) was built prior to the influx of personal electronics- cell phones, laptops, etc. We are planning to replace the bedside lamps with the sort that have outlets on the base of the lamp stand. This is the easiest way for us to provide additional outlets without the cost of rewiring the entire hotel.

Lastly, I want to apologize, earnestly, for the lack of friendliness you encountered during your stay. We generally have very positive feedback about our front desk staff, but we do have one staff member in particular whose guest service has been lacking recently. I would appreciate very much if you could let me know if these comments were in regard to one particular staff member or more. I am working towards documentation of these issues, and I would like to attach your complaint to any personal files involved.

Again, thank you for sharing your reviews. I hope you will contact me directly so that I can share the plans for property improvement and staff improvement.

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!