“NEVER STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Rockford, United States
“NEVER STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room was dirty, the tolit had poo stains in it. There were no outlets to plug a charger in by the bed. I followed the lamp plug on the night stand only to be scared of how much trash was behind the bed. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in years. I ate breakfast at the hotel. It was a very bad experience. I was seated right away and then asked what I would care for to drink. I asked for a cup of coffee with creamer. There was only one employee waiting on tables and it was very busy. The other employee was actually mopping the floor around guests that were eating. Nobody wants to smell mop water while they are eating. The waitress asked the girl mopping the floors for some help so she went over and picked up my cup of coffee and placed the creamer dish ON TOP of the cup (she didn’t wash her hands first either), then delivered the cup of coffee with the creamer dish still sitting on top of the cup of coffee. When the waitress brought out my order she had one plate sitting on TOP of the food that she was brining to me. When she put them down you could see the ring of the bottom of the plate impressed on top of my pancakes. Very pour service and very pour food sanitation skills. I will never visit your establishment again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Anthony C,

I will keep my response here brief as I know our General Manager, Melissa Lentz, has been in communication with you since receiving your response to our Medallia survey in an effort to make reparation.

I do appreciate that you’ve taken the time to post your impression and experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. As Melissa shared with you previously, it is always disappointing when we hear about an issue that could have been resolved and corrected after a guest has left the hotel.

Please know that our staff would have been very happy to correct the cleanliness issues at the front end of your stay. We would much prefer to apologize and take action while you are still with us than apologize after the stay has ended.

I will also assure you that Melissa has shared the issues you’ve reported since with our staff. Our front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping staff were all given copies of your response and the appropriate employees taken aside privately.

I hope that your communications with Melissa are going well, and I will let her know that you’ve shared your experience on Trip Advisor. I know you already have her contact information, but if there is anything I might be able to help you with please feel free to contact me as well,

608.356.1100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

For a very low rate I was impressed. The front desk attendant on check-in, Daniel, was very efficient. We called in advance and he was very helpful and very smooth check-in. Perfect greeting. The pool area is clean - it's small but there are also balls for your enjoyment already in there. We didn't use the pool - just the hot tub - but if our daughter was with us it would have been great for her.

Our main purpose was to go to the casino. The casino does a shuttle - all you have to do is call the front desk for it which adds to the value of the hotel.

Breakfast was pretty good - not up my alley though in what I would normally eat. My husband's pancakes tasted a little funny. I felt bad as the girls who were working were busting their butts but they seemed short staffed. I don't know if someone called in? In any case, we noticed a slight lag in our service but not much. Like another reviewer mentioned - this is a nice option but I would have also liked to just grab a bagel and yogurt in the morning.

Coffee in the lobby was out before we left and the front desk offered to get another cup. That was nice. Great service all around. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Amanda T,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words for Daniel. He truly has a heart for hospitality, and I think he especially has a heart for our guests’ experiences. I am so glad to have him on staff to help our guests and share the Midwestern friendliness we have grown up knowing. I will, of course, share you review with him the next time he is scheduled.

I also want to thank you for your comments about the pool area. We have a maintenance person who works very hard maintaining the pool, and while we do have some renovations needed in the pool area, h really does maintain what we have well. I will definitely share your encouraging words with him.

I am very glad that you were able to take advantage of the Casino shuttle. It is a wonderful service that they provide, and I will let the dispatcher know you were grateful.

I will also keep your breakfast format preference on file. I personally share your preference, and we are looking to make a few changes in the current format. We are trying to come up with some ideas to keep the cooked-to-order format while providing an option that is more convenient for on-the-go guests. I would love to hear if you have any ideas!

Thank you, again, for the feedback. I hope you will contact me should you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here on a week night and paid roughly $75 for the night in a king size bed hotel room. The man at the front desk who checked us in, had to be the nicest most professional man. He heard I was there for a funeral, and saw that my brother was also staying there (weird first name, same last name-assumed), got us rooms next to each other, and had a map of the funeral home in relation to the hotel. He also made suggestions for food in the area since the restaurant was closed. Overall he went out of his way to help us. The restaurant service was decent during breakfast the next morning. Food was fine. Good room for the amount paid. My only complaint would be about the bed- It was uncomfortable, and so were the pillows. Decor wasn't great either, but who really cares.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Ty86V,

I know that Daniel frequently reads the reviews that are posted to our TripAdvisor page in an effort to help address concerns, but I want to assure you that I will be sharing your review with him directly. He has an amazing heart for our guests, and he has a particular gift for addressing the individual needs of guests. I am so glad to hear how he served your during your stay, and I really appreciate the kind words of affirmation you have shared.

We are currently in the process of addressing a 3 year Property Improvement Plan. We are in the stage of planning with parts of the renovation need to happen in year one, two, and three. I would very much appreciate if you could share what room you stayed in, or the dates of your stay- enough information for me to figure out which mattress needs replacing. We have pillowtop beds in our hotel, and while these mattresses are very comfortable initially we are finding that they need replacing sooner than mattresses that can be flipped/rotated. I am very sorry for the discomfort, and I hope to address it soon.

The décor of the hotel is a major part of the 3-year plan. If you’d like to hear more about it please feel free to contact our general manager or myself for more information.

Again, thank you so much for sharing with us. I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you to our area, but I do hope you will return to us in the future for happier reasons,

Napoleon, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived to Baraboo and was checked in by a wonderful lady at the front desk. I was given a room at the end of the hallway, which I hoped would be quiet...and it was. When I arrived to the room...it had a strong odor of some kind of air freshener. Not a huge deal, but noticeable anytime you would exit or leave the room. I guess it was better then the smell of smoke, but it was something sort of odd.

The room had a flat-screen TV and the cable picture was OK with a decent number of channels. The wireless internet signal in my room was shaky at best. If I was near the door...I could get a signal once in a while, but while sitting on the bed further from the door...I would get nothing. Maybe another wireless access point toward the end of the hall would solve the issue.

As far as breakfast the next morning...I did not eat it. The hotel provided a voucher for a free breakfast entrée and drink at the adjoining restaurant. I prefer a standard continental breakfast when you can come and go as you please and get something quick. I left early the next morning so just had a snack on the way to my next destination.

I checked out early, and the lady when I checked out was not friendly at all. She never asked how my stay was, just took my room key and I was on my way. I guess I expect a little more from a desk clerk. This probably wasn't the last impression the hotel would want me to have when I left. Doesn't give me much reason to stay there again.

HOWEVER....for the cost and the limited options in Baraboo, I probably WOULD stay there again. My room was quiet and I did not hear much noise from the highway as others mentioned. Baraboo seems like a very nice little town, and I hope to return again someday. I will keep the Best Western in mind for my next stay because of the cost and there really were no real issues with the room.

Room Tip: don't stay in a room at the end of the hall if you want wireless internet signal
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
OhioLW,

Thank you for the thorough review of your experience here with us. You have gone out of your way to touch on the primary concerns that today’s traveler has, and I want you to know how much I appreciate for the affirmation and encouragement to improve.

I have recently had a couple of guests share concerns about an air freshener scent. I have spoken with our head of housekeeping, and we are currently trying to figure out if it is a new product we are using or a housekeeper with an itchy trigger finger on the sprayer. I thank you for giving us this feedback, and I ask that you might share with me the specific dates you’ve stayed so that I might narrow down the housekeeper who cleaned your room.

We did recently have an issue with our wireless internet. There was about a month of spotty service, but we did have a part replaced that seems to have addressed the problem. I am incredibly sorry that this issue affected your stay, and I hope that upon your return to us you won’t encounter the same issue. If you choose to stay with us again I would suggest requesting an “Executive King” room. The rate is the same, but these rooms are designed to be a little more business-traveler friendly. There are extra outlets, larger desks, etc.

I understand your frustration with the breakfast format. I have kept your feedback in a separate file we are keeping for breakfast improvement. We changed the format in an effort to address demands from guests for specific foods and a better quality (keeping scrambled eggs edible on a buffet is difficult). We have, however, had some feedback that is leading us towards making another change in the breakfast area. I don’t know exactly what form this change will be, but I hope you are assured that we are looking to address the “on-the-run” concerns.

I would greatly appreciate if you could email me, directly, about the unfriendly check-out clerk. I want very much to address this issue, as I have had a couple of guests share this concern, but I really need to have more information to match the concern to the appropriate clerk.

I really hope our little town sees you again soon, and we would love to see you again at our hotel. Thank you again, and please feel free to contact me directly with any further information that might help us in improving,

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at this motel several times in the past. Something changed. Staff unfriendly & non caring during entire stay & even on checkout. Carpet in room (old side of motel) was nasty old, dirty looking, had tears by door. Mattress was flimsy & worn & we both had horrible back aches. Only 1 outlet in room-rest were behind heavy furniture & full.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Sparkyann51,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel and staff. I always feel badly hearing about negative experiences after the time has passed to improve a stay, but I really appreciate the opportunity it gives me to improve for future stays.

We recently underwent our Best Western Property Improvement Plan. We had a professional designer come in and go through our entire hotel looking for places for improvement, etc. We are finalizing our 3 year (possibly 5 years) renovation plan. This will eventually address all of the concerns you've shared with us. If you would like to know more about the details of the plan and our timeline please feel free to contact our general manager or myself directly.

We do understand that the carpeting needs replacing, that there are mattresses that need replacing, but I would like very much if you could contact me and let me know which room you stayed in. That would help greatly as I could make sure it is on our list for the mattress replacement. (The carpeting is already on our priority list).

The hotel (even the newer wing) was built prior to the influx of personal electronics- cell phones, laptops, etc. We are planning to replace the bedside lamps with the sort that have outlets on the base of the lamp stand. This is the easiest way for us to provide additional outlets without the cost of rewiring the entire hotel.

Lastly, I want to apologize, earnestly, for the lack of friendliness you encountered during your stay. We generally have very positive feedback about our front desk staff, but we do have one staff member in particular whose guest service has been lacking recently. I would appreciate very much if you could let me know if these comments were in regard to one particular staff member or more. I am working towards documentation of these issues, and I would like to attach your complaint to any personal files involved.

Again, thank you for sharing your reviews. I hope you will contact me directly so that I can share the plans for property improvement and staff improvement.

Appleton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was amazed at the quality of the hotel for the price I paid. The staff was wonderful and made you feel like a guest. Check in was smooth and easy and they answered all the questions I had, without making me feel like I was intruding. The room was clean and comfortable. The only downfall was the wake-up call did not go off, so use the alarm clock!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
April,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We love using our guest reviews to know when we need improvement, and it is especially nice, after reading a review, to know what we are doing well already.

I want to apologize that your wake-up call did not go off for you. That could be the result of human or computer error as entry and execution are tied to both. I will share your review with our front desk staff as a reminder of the importance of entering these for the correct time, room, and day. I will also ask our maintenance person to check and make sure the system is operating correctly.

Thank you, again, for your kind words of affirmation for our staff. I will absolutely pass along your compliments. We are coming off of the summer season, and we can all feel a little worn out this time of year. A few kind words of encouragement to keep up the good work can go a long way.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope we will see you again soon! Fall is my personal favorite time of year in Baraboo, and I am glad you were able to come enjoy!

Thank you, again, and please feel free to contact me with any further questions, concerns, or comments,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from Baraboo and I had an average stay. The room was big and nice, very clean but I definitely didn't like to share a porch with the room next door. Kinda creepy. It is very close to the highway so if you don't like too much noise, make sure you take earplugs with you. Breakfast was alright. The jacuzzi in the room was great. I would stay again but I would make sure I had war plugs because the noise was awful.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ana-Van-Pelt,

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was very pleased reading your review as you were very kind in sharing places of improvement and complimented our housekeepers for providing a clean guest room.

Unfortunately, I think you may have us confused with another hotel! We don’t have porches off of our guest rooms- the only entrance to any of our guest rooms is from the interior hallway in the hotel. We do have a patio outside of our pool, but even that area is not accessible from guest rooms.

If you’d like to contact me I might be able to help you locate the appropriate hotel so that you might be able to post your review on their Trip Advisor page,

Thank you again, and please do feel free to contact me!

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!