“Nice room for the cost” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Napoleon, OH
“Nice room for the cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived to Baraboo and was checked in by a wonderful lady at the front desk. I was given a room at the end of the hallway, which I hoped would be quiet...and it was. When I arrived to the room...it had a strong odor of some kind of air freshener. Not a huge deal, but noticeable anytime you would exit or leave the room. I guess it was better then the smell of smoke, but it was something sort of odd.

The room had a flat-screen TV and the cable picture was OK with a decent number of channels. The wireless internet signal in my room was shaky at best. If I was near the door...I could get a signal once in a while, but while sitting on the bed further from the door...I would get nothing. Maybe another wireless access point toward the end of the hall would solve the issue.

As far as breakfast the next morning...I did not eat it. The hotel provided a voucher for a free breakfast entrée and drink at the adjoining restaurant. I prefer a standard continental breakfast when you can come and go as you please and get something quick. I left early the next morning so just had a snack on the way to my next destination.

I checked out early, and the lady when I checked out was not friendly at all. She never asked how my stay was, just took my room key and I was on my way. I guess I expect a little more from a desk clerk. This probably wasn't the last impression the hotel would want me to have when I left. Doesn't give me much reason to stay there again.

HOWEVER....for the cost and the limited options in Baraboo, I probably WOULD stay there again. My room was quiet and I did not hear much noise from the highway as others mentioned. Baraboo seems like a very nice little town, and I hope to return again someday. I will keep the Best Western in mind for my next stay because of the cost and there really were no real issues with the room.

Room Tip: don't stay in a room at the end of the hall if you want wireless internet signal
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
OhioLW,

Thank you for the thorough review of your experience here with us. You have gone out of your way to touch on the primary concerns that today’s traveler has, and I want you to know how much I appreciate for the affirmation and encouragement to improve.

I have recently had a couple of guests share concerns about an air freshener scent. I have spoken with our head of housekeeping, and we are currently trying to figure out if it is a new product we are using or a housekeeper with an itchy trigger finger on the sprayer. I thank you for giving us this feedback, and I ask that you might share with me the specific dates you’ve stayed so that I might narrow down the housekeeper who cleaned your room.

We did recently have an issue with our wireless internet. There was about a month of spotty service, but we did have a part replaced that seems to have addressed the problem. I am incredibly sorry that this issue affected your stay, and I hope that upon your return to us you won’t encounter the same issue. If you choose to stay with us again I would suggest requesting an “Executive King” room. The rate is the same, but these rooms are designed to be a little more business-traveler friendly. There are extra outlets, larger desks, etc.

I understand your frustration with the breakfast format. I have kept your feedback in a separate file we are keeping for breakfast improvement. We changed the format in an effort to address demands from guests for specific foods and a better quality (keeping scrambled eggs edible on a buffet is difficult). We have, however, had some feedback that is leading us towards making another change in the breakfast area. I don’t know exactly what form this change will be, but I hope you are assured that we are looking to address the “on-the-run” concerns.

I would greatly appreciate if you could email me, directly, about the unfriendly check-out clerk. I want very much to address this issue, as I have had a couple of guests share this concern, but I really need to have more information to match the concern to the appropriate clerk.

I really hope our little town sees you again soon, and we would love to see you again at our hotel. Thank you again, and please feel free to contact me directly with any further information that might help us in improving,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at this motel several times in the past. Something changed. Staff unfriendly & non caring during entire stay & even on checkout. Carpet in room (old side of motel) was nasty old, dirty looking, had tears by door. Mattress was flimsy & worn & we both had horrible back aches. Only 1 outlet in room-rest were behind heavy furniture & full.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Sparkyann51,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel and staff. I always feel badly hearing about negative experiences after the time has passed to improve a stay, but I really appreciate the opportunity it gives me to improve for future stays.

We recently underwent our Best Western Property Improvement Plan. We had a professional designer come in and go through our entire hotel looking for places for improvement, etc. We are finalizing our 3 year (possibly 5 years) renovation plan. This will eventually address all of the concerns you've shared with us. If you would like to know more about the details of the plan and our timeline please feel free to contact our general manager or myself directly.

We do understand that the carpeting needs replacing, that there are mattresses that need replacing, but I would like very much if you could contact me and let me know which room you stayed in. That would help greatly as I could make sure it is on our list for the mattress replacement. (The carpeting is already on our priority list).

The hotel (even the newer wing) was built prior to the influx of personal electronics- cell phones, laptops, etc. We are planning to replace the bedside lamps with the sort that have outlets on the base of the lamp stand. This is the easiest way for us to provide additional outlets without the cost of rewiring the entire hotel.

Lastly, I want to apologize, earnestly, for the lack of friendliness you encountered during your stay. We generally have very positive feedback about our front desk staff, but we do have one staff member in particular whose guest service has been lacking recently. I would appreciate very much if you could let me know if these comments were in regard to one particular staff member or more. I am working towards documentation of these issues, and I would like to attach your complaint to any personal files involved.

Again, thank you for sharing your reviews. I hope you will contact me directly so that I can share the plans for property improvement and staff improvement.

Appleton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was amazed at the quality of the hotel for the price I paid. The staff was wonderful and made you feel like a guest. Check in was smooth and easy and they answered all the questions I had, without making me feel like I was intruding. The room was clean and comfortable. The only downfall was the wake-up call did not go off, so use the alarm clock!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
April,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We love using our guest reviews to know when we need improvement, and it is especially nice, after reading a review, to know what we are doing well already.

I want to apologize that your wake-up call did not go off for you. That could be the result of human or computer error as entry and execution are tied to both. I will share your review with our front desk staff as a reminder of the importance of entering these for the correct time, room, and day. I will also ask our maintenance person to check and make sure the system is operating correctly.

Thank you, again, for your kind words of affirmation for our staff. I will absolutely pass along your compliments. We are coming off of the summer season, and we can all feel a little worn out this time of year. A few kind words of encouragement to keep up the good work can go a long way.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope we will see you again soon! Fall is my personal favorite time of year in Baraboo, and I am glad you were able to come enjoy!

Thank you, again, and please feel free to contact me with any further questions, concerns, or comments,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from Baraboo and I had an average stay. The room was big and nice, very clean but I definitely didn't like to share a porch with the room next door. Kinda creepy. It is very close to the highway so if you don't like too much noise, make sure you take earplugs with you. Breakfast was alright. The jacuzzi in the room was great. I would stay again but I would make sure I had war plugs because the noise was awful.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ana-Van-Pelt,

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was very pleased reading your review as you were very kind in sharing places of improvement and complimented our housekeepers for providing a clean guest room.

Unfortunately, I think you may have us confused with another hotel! We don’t have porches off of our guest rooms- the only entrance to any of our guest rooms is from the interior hallway in the hotel. We do have a patio outside of our pool, but even that area is not accessible from guest rooms.

If you’d like to contact me I might be able to help you locate the appropriate hotel so that you might be able to post your review on their Trip Advisor page,

Thank you again, and please do feel free to contact me!

McHenry, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice overall hotel. However our room had a very potent odor of deoderizer in it, in which we had to open a window. Availability for groups to hang out and talk was very limited after 10 p.m. ( there with family from out of town) Overall a decent place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Kimberly,

I very much appreciate the time you've taken to share you experience at our hotel. I do wish very much that you would have left with more than a decent impression, and I want to thank you for giving us the feedback we need to improve prior to you next stay with us.

I want to apologize for the deodorizer smell in your room. I have passed along your concern with our head of housekeeping. We do have an odor neutralizing spray that we use, but it shouldn't be leaving a strong odor in the rooms. I am going to check and see if we've recently switched products or if specific housekeeper is using more than necessary. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and again, I am very sorry for the unpleasantness!

I would like very much for you to contact me to discuss some of your concerns directly. I am the primary contact for group gatherings at the hotel, and I’d like very much to share with you the options that are available or were arranged by your group contact. I have only had one family group arrange meeting space with me this October, and I would be happy to attach any of your concerns with that group’s file if it is the same group that you stayed with.

We do have rooms used for gathering space frequently, but those rooms are located within the hotel and are located near guest rooms. The primary function of our hotel is to provide a comfortable, clean, and friendly place for travelers to rest while away from home, and because of this promise to all of our guests we do ask that our groups either retire to their guest rooms or the bar/restaurant when quiet hours at the hotel begin.

Auxvasse, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The room was very nice - all the staff was very pleasant and helpful in suggesting places to see and eat. We ate in the restaurant attached and the staff was very nice. One thing is, we could not find an ice machine - in the room it said it was by the soda machines, but did not see it - It would be helpful if it was actually there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Terry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with our fellow Trip Advisors! We do our best to take guest feedback into consideration while prioritizing updates and improvements. It is also very helpful to know what we are already doing right so we know to keep up the practice.

I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our staff. Thank you, especially, for commenting on the cleanliness of your room. I am always happy to thank our housekeepers on behalf of a guest. They hold very important positions in relation to guest comfort, but this position is often forgotten when compliments come in. All of our staff will be happy to know they contributed to your positive experience.

I also want to thank you for bringing your concern about the ice machine placement to our attention. I will have to double check the listing in our guestbook as we are about to reprint. The ice machine is located near soda machines, but we do have vending areas in two parts of the hotel. It really should be described as near the pool to clear up misdirection. I am so sorry for this confusion, and please be assured that I will do what I can to avoid it in the future.

skokie il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

my husband and I stayed at the Baraboo Inn and had a wonderful time! The front desk girl on Friday was business-like but a smile wouldn't have hurt her. But it was towards late afternoon and maybe she had a long day. The young man who took over was extremely nice and helpful! We had a problem with the toilet the first night and saturday morning in the lobby, my husband mentioned he was going to the front desk about it...and before he could get there..Steve, the maintenance man, said to him, "I hear you are having a problem with the toilet?" And proceeded to get our room number and went upstairs and took care of it immediately. I read the reviews where people were complaining about the carpeting...I saw nothing wrong at all with the carpeting or anything else for that matter in the hotel. Our bed was very comfortable and we had three nights and four days of utter relaxation! We will stay there again, that's for sure!

Room Tip: we had requested a room on the first floor..but the first two nights they were booked and we had bee...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear HotFib1,

Thank you so much for sharing the impressions you had from your recent stay with us. I always have a special appreciation for reviews that are written with honesty. Your review was very positive, but you mentioned areas of where things could be improved. It isn’t often that I receive constructive affirmation.

I will speak to the front desk clerk who was very business-like. There is a place for professionalism, but friendliness is a part of our profession. I will also pass along your compliments to Daniel. He generally stays on top of the TripAdvisor reviews for the hotel (he enjoys reading them), but I will make sure he knows I read the review, and I will thank him for his positive service.

I shared your compliment with Steve, our head of maintenance. While he is the primary person who keeps things working at the hotel his job is often times unappreciated. Guests notice when things don’t work, but they don’t think of who should be thanked when everything does work. He was particularly excited to know his efforts were appreciated, and I am very grateful to you for making mention of his efforts.

I am so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan to return to our hotel the next time you are in our area. Thank you, again, and please know I am available should you have any questions or concerns in the future,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!