“An average hotel- ok for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“An average hotel- ok for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is an average hotel. We found it to be ok for one night. The room was clean, but the hall carpet was filthy. The hotel is in need of an update. I did not find the beds to be comfortable. We had a noisy, smelly air conditioner in our room. One of the window screens had a 6 inch cut in it.

On a positive note, the bathroom was fine. The shower worked fine. The room included a refrigerator and a microwave. The hotel has a pool and hot tub. A "made- to- order" breakfast was included with the room. The hotel is located fairly close to lots of restaurants. Devils Lake is something like 5 miles away. Lastly, the rates were inexpensive- we paid $70 for a week night in September.

Would we stay here again? We would try somewhere else, especially if we stayed more than one night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Photoguywisconsin,

I am very glad that we could provide you a place to stay as you passed through our area. I am also grateful that you’ve taken the time to share your impressions and experience at our hotel.

Thank you so much for sharing that you found your room clean. I will pass along this information to our head of housekeeping. The housekeeping department is one of the most important and least acknowledged departments in the hotel, and I know they will be happy to know their hard work was noticed during your stay.

I want to assure you that the improvements you’ve suggested have been documented and are in process of being addressed. I agree, profoundly, that the carpeting appears dirty. We do shampoo it regularly, but it needs replacing. It is far older than it should be, and we are setting aside funds to pay for the replacement.

We do have several other updates due at the end of the year. Best Western mandates certain improvements/updates and this year we are looking to update the window treatments, countertops, and light fixtures in guest rooms. I think that these changes will significantly help give the hotel a more modern appearance.

When we replaced the mattresses a couple of years ago we choose pillowtop mattresses (I think this is a brand standard), but unfortunately have found that these mattresses eliminate the option of rotating the mattresses to slow down the aging process! If you have time I would appreciate if you could email me enough information to look up which room you stayed in so that we can address the mattress issue.

I hope you would consider coming to stay with us again. I always feel comfortable, and encourage, our guests to know what their options are, but I think you will find yourself back with us. Next year you might want to stop by to see the updates we’ve been able to make!

Sales Manger
bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Clean, comfy room with full breakfast included. Friendly desk clerks and two guest computers in lobby. Enjoyed family fun in the indoor pool. Close to stores, restaurants and the World Circus Museum and Grounds.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am so glad that you were able to visit Baraboo, and I thank you for sharing your stay with the rest of our Trip Advisors.

I will pass along your compliments to our housekeeping, and I am happy to know you found your room comfortable as well as clean. When you boil down the basic function of a hotel room I think that a cleanly, comfortable place to sleep is the primary (though not only) goal of anyone in the hospitality industry.

Also, I am glad that you found our staff friendly! I am, personally, at this hotel because of my love of people and our town. I hope that our staff communicates these same passions to all guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience, and please feel free to contact me should you have any further or future comments or questions,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We are rewards members and used points and a free night voucher to stay here for 2 nights over the holiday weekend. It was not the most updated Best Western I've stayed at, but it met our needs location wise. We made it to the hotel at 2pm and asked for an early check in as it was only 1 hr prior to the stated check in time. The female front desk clerk told us our room was not ready and would not be ready until 3:30pm even though check in was at 3pm. Not a big deal, we realized we were an hour early but we were not sure why the room would not be ready until after check in times posted. We did not push the issue as it was not a huge deal. However, everytime I needed directions or even to check out, she was nowhere to be found. Maybe we just had impecable timing with always needing something when she was on break. But, Dan(I think that was his name) on the second shift more than made up for her! He was helpful and does a great job.

The room was small but I'm assuming because we used points and a voucher we got the cheapest room possible. It had a frig but no microwave. The carpet was bad, I think it would add value to at least shampoo it or better still replace it. But, beds were comfy and room was clean. We enjoyed the pool and the hotel was fairly quiet. It was in a good location, 10 minutes from the Dells, close to Devils Lake and 20 minutes from the Cow Chip festival we attended. Overall, we had a nice time and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Funnelbuns1,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at our hotel. I am glad that it was over-all a positive stay, but I do want to apologize for not meeting some mutual expectations.

Unfortunately, during the summer and other busy seasons, early check-ins are not available. We do our best to check guests in as they arrive, but we often times ask housekeeping to clean rooms that have requested early check-in times prior to arrival. This being said- we should we able to get people into their rooms by 3 pm. I have been speaking with our General Manager about ways to make sure all guests can check in by or at check in time. We have discussed moving check in time back to 4 pm, or having a standard discount to offer guests when we can’t get them in by 3 pm. Thank you for sharing this issue with us, and please know it is something we are hoping to address during the seasons when we are full and our guests are vacationing (checking out later and checking in earlier).

I also want to apologize for the front desk clerk who you found (or didn’t find) absent from the desk. Our front desk clerks are often times called away from the desk for several reasons- to refill the lobby coffee, fill coolers for guests, address issues within rooms, pool, etc. However, we do always try and make sure that if they do need to be away from the desk they try and be back within 5 minutes. I am going to share your feedback with the day-shift workers in an effort to communicate to them the importance of being quick about the parts of their job that requires they be away from the desk!

Also, I want to thank you for your kind words for Daniel. He is an incredible asset to our team, and I am so glad to know you appreciated the positive attitude and work-ethic he brings to work with him daily.

Lastly, I want to share with you that while we do have fridges in all rooms the microwaves are available in most, but not all, of our rooms. We are slowly putting them in all of the rooms, and I hope to have them in all of the rooms by the end of the year. Right now they are available per request/need.

Thank you, again, for sharing your experience. If you have further questions or concerns I invite you to contact me directly,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Others have written about issues they have had with BW Baraboo. Our stay was uneventful in terms of issues, but it does not really jump out at you as a great place to visit.

Pros:
Our room was clean.
Shower was hot and streamed well
AC (in room and noisy) worked OK on some very hot days
Lobby comfortable enough and a computer is available to use.
Free coffee in lobby day and night (very nice perk)
Pool (indoor) is nice for kids and open to 11pm
Breakfast is more than the typical "continental" - you get a choice of an entree at the attached restaurant. (Having noted this there is no way I would pay what they would have charged for the breakfast as most of it was heat and serve...)
Good about filling coolers with ice as needed

Cons:
Indifferent staff (mostly - did have one or two helpful people)
Carpets in halls need a good cleaning or replacement
Rooms smallish
Mattresses not the greatest - somewhat lumpy
Bathrooms tiny - sink in bedrooms
Pricing all over the map. We got a good deal by using the internet. Calling in or visiting will add 60% or more to room cost - yikes!

So would we stay there again - yes. Not many choices if going as a family and some of the other places looked worse. Would for sure reserve over internet and make sure you let them know in advance if you need something. While waiting in lobby heard a conversation between a mother and check-in staff regarding having a room which has a microwave (which they do) as she had a newborn and needed to heat up bottles etc. No such rooms available and no micros could be put into room she had booked... She was told to next time make sure to advise in advance. (The hotel was indeed booked out because of Harley riders heading into Mke). After a lot of back and forth the clerk finally said she could move her to a "handicapped" room that was available which had a micro since she was only staying for one night... Seemed like the natural choice to me right from the start once I heard this - why go through all the nack and forth?

Room Tip: Make sure you book over the internet for best prices (big difference) and also indicate anything you...
PC B,

I really appreciated the format of your response! I am naturally incline to bullet-point when sharing information, and I think it made your information sharing easier to read and digest.

At the bottom of this letter I will be sharing my contact information, and I would greatly appreciate if you’d contact me directly about the indifference of the staff. I take customer service very seriously, and I would like to know whom on staff I need to sit down with to correct this impression.

I want to address a couple of your concerns. Yes, the carpeting in the hotel needs to be replaced. While I can assure you that we shampoo/clean the carpeting regularly it has become stained and aged and needs replacement. We have some brand-mandated updates in the works that will take priority to maintain our brand, but the carpeting is on the very top our my personal priority list.

We actually have a couple of rooms that have vanities in the bathroom, but the majority of rooms in the hotel do not. I think, and have been told by others in the industry, that this design was put into place to make the getting ready process for guests with multiple guests in the room easier (someone can do their hair while someone is showering, etc). I agree it can seem awkward, and I think it may be addressed during major renovations sometime in the future.

Bestwestern.com offers a lowest-rate guarantee. There are two rates that our hotel offers online that are lowest- the internet only rate and the 14 day advance purchase rate. These rates are only available on our website, but they offer great values. I like to make sure guests know beforehand that these discounts are typically attached to prepayment and/or cancellation limitions.

Lastly, I want to address the conversation you overheard concerning the microwaves. While the front desk clerk had one room available that did have a microwave-it was, as you shared, a handicap accessible room. We are required to save these rooms to sell last in case a person with accessibility needs were to stay at our hotel. The front desk clerk was facing a tough call- give the handicap accessible room to someone in need of a microwave or save it for a guest possibly needed a wheelchair accessible room. I am sure you can understand why the back and forth ensued- it is a tough call that we often times have to make.

Our website lists all amenities guaranteed in rooms and also lists amenities that are available differently in an effort to communicate to guests that they are available but not guaranteed. I always advise guests to let us know of special needs prior to check in as we go through all arrivals and pre-block rooms for guests who require microwaves, first floor rooms, etc.

Thank you, again, for sharing your tips and impressions. You have shared several things with other travelers that are, in my opinion, really valuable suggestions for people traveling and staying at hotels in general!

Western Springs, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I want to be fair with this review but this hotel needs work. The rooms are very dated bordering on unclean. I will say that the service was outstanding. We stopped here for one night on our way from Chicago to Minneapolis. It was fine but next time we will stop in Madison instead.

For families, the pool is dark and small. The restaurant breakfast is micro-waved.

Dear WSFamily050,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel. I appreciate so much when guests thoughtfully share their experiences for the benefit of other travelers.

I agree that there are updates needed at the hotel, and I am happy to share that we do have couple of updates in the works for our property. We are currently getting pricing for some Best Western mandated updates- window treatments, countertops, and light fixtures within the rooms. I think that these will help give the hotel a more needed modern feel. I understand, completely, that when you see that things are older it can be easy to feel like they are unclean. I assure you that we are held to the same cleanliness standards as all other Best Western hotels.

I am glad that you enjoyed the service you received. We have an outstanding staff that shares a collective heart for hospitality. I know they will be glad to know their attitudes and service were a positive part of your stay.

Our indoor pool is on the small side and only reaches a depth of 5 feet. The pool was built prior to the addition of our south week, and prior to this it was an adequate size for the number of rooms in the hotel. Typically it is still a fine size, but during the summer, when our guests typically travel in families/groups it can be a bit too small for comfort. We are hoping to make some other improvements and investments in the hotel before we undertake a project like pool-expansion, but I really appreciate your sharing this with other travelers. It is a standard pool/hot tub- nothing more or less.

Lastly, I want to assure you that I will be passing along your comments about the breakfast provided in our restaurant to the kitchen manager. It isn’t a microwaved breakfast, but if it tastes like it is we need to change something! I assure you everything is cooked-to-order.

Thank you again for your time and insight, and I invite you to contact me directly with any further questions or suggestions!
chgo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

the hotel is clean attractive, and comfortable. Staff couldn't be nicer. the free breakfast is quite good. the location to the Dells water attractions isn't the closest, but the few minute ride is worth staying at this motel. We stayed at another hotel in the area for years, but since finding this place, this the only place we stay when in the Dells

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Robert G,

I am so glad to hear that we have been able to add and keep you in our guest-family! One of the most wonderful things about working at a hotel is being able to build ongoing relationships with guests as they visit our home area. I am going to pass along your feedback to our staff as I know they will be glad to know and hear how their efforts have created a home-away-from-home for you!

Thank you, so much, for sharing your feedback with us. Guests who have stayed with us multiples times over a great period of time, such as yourself, really offer a fair and balanced perspective of the experience guests will have with us.

Hopefully we’ll be seeing you again soon-

Wisc Rapids, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Room was nice but could use updating (especially bathroom). Pool area was adequate, but no bathroom. Beds were comfortable and breakfast was great. For the price, it was worth it and close to attractions.

Kris G,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your thoughts, suggestions, and impressions of our hotel. We really value guest feedback as it enables us to prioritize our efforts in order to better serve our guests.

I am really glad that our effort to keep our rates as low as possible considering the demand in the area was appreciated. I am especially glad that this enabled you to visit area attractions! There are so many wonderful things to do in our area, and I am always joyful to hear about guests’ positive experiences.

I agree that there are updates needing to be made at our property. Thankfully we were able to afford new flat screen televisions this year- and we are looking forward to updating some countertops next! On top of my personal priority list is the replacement of our carpeting in public areas, but everything has to wait its turn 

While I know we have a shower in the pool area- I must admit I have often times wished we had a bathroom adjoining or included in the pool area. There is, of course, a public restroom down the hall, but it does require guests walk through the lobby in their swimsuits! I understand how uncomfortable and inconvenient this can be- especially if you have little ones to run to the bathroom. Added a restroom would be a major construction project and probably not feasible in the immediate future, but I will share you suggestion/comment with our General Manager and property management company.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share- and I also want to extend myself to you should you have further questions, comments, or concerns,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!