“I want to be fair” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Western Springs, Illinois
“I want to be fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I want to be fair with this review but this hotel needs work. The rooms are very dated bordering on unclean. I will say that the service was outstanding. We stopped here for one night on our way from Chicago to Minneapolis. It was fine but next time we will stop in Madison instead.

For families, the pool is dark and small. The restaurant breakfast is micro-waved.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear WSFamily050,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel. I appreciate so much when guests thoughtfully share their experiences for the benefit of other travelers.

I agree that there are updates needed at the hotel, and I am happy to share that we do have couple of updates in the works for our property. We are currently getting pricing for some Best Western mandated updates- window treatments, countertops, and light fixtures within the rooms. I think that these will help give the hotel a more needed modern feel. I understand, completely, that when you see that things are older it can be easy to feel like they are unclean. I assure you that we are held to the same cleanliness standards as all other Best Western hotels.

I am glad that you enjoyed the service you received. We have an outstanding staff that shares a collective heart for hospitality. I know they will be glad to know their attitudes and service were a positive part of your stay.

Our indoor pool is on the small side and only reaches a depth of 5 feet. The pool was built prior to the addition of our south week, and prior to this it was an adequate size for the number of rooms in the hotel. Typically it is still a fine size, but during the summer, when our guests typically travel in families/groups it can be a bit too small for comfort. We are hoping to make some other improvements and investments in the hotel before we undertake a project like pool-expansion, but I really appreciate your sharing this with other travelers. It is a standard pool/hot tub- nothing more or less.

Lastly, I want to assure you that I will be passing along your comments about the breakfast provided in our restaurant to the kitchen manager. It isn’t a microwaved breakfast, but if it tastes like it is we need to change something! I assure you everything is cooked-to-order.

Thank you again for your time and insight, and I invite you to contact me directly with any further questions or suggestions!
608.356.1100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
chgo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

the hotel is clean attractive, and comfortable. Staff couldn't be nicer. the free breakfast is quite good. the location to the Dells water attractions isn't the closest, but the few minute ride is worth staying at this motel. We stayed at another hotel in the area for years, but since finding this place, this the only place we stay when in the Dells

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Robert G,

I am so glad to hear that we have been able to add and keep you in our guest-family! One of the most wonderful things about working at a hotel is being able to build ongoing relationships with guests as they visit our home area. I am going to pass along your feedback to our staff as I know they will be glad to know and hear how their efforts have created a home-away-from-home for you!

Thank you, so much, for sharing your feedback with us. Guests who have stayed with us multiples times over a great period of time, such as yourself, really offer a fair and balanced perspective of the experience guests will have with us.

Hopefully we’ll be seeing you again soon-

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
Wisc Rapids, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Room was nice but could use updating (especially bathroom). Pool area was adequate, but no bathroom. Beds were comfortable and breakfast was great. For the price, it was worth it and close to attractions.

Kris G,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your thoughts, suggestions, and impressions of our hotel. We really value guest feedback as it enables us to prioritize our efforts in order to better serve our guests.

I am really glad that our effort to keep our rates as low as possible considering the demand in the area was appreciated. I am especially glad that this enabled you to visit area attractions! There are so many wonderful things to do in our area, and I am always joyful to hear about guests’ positive experiences.

I agree that there are updates needing to be made at our property. Thankfully we were able to afford new flat screen televisions this year- and we are looking forward to updating some countertops next! On top of my personal priority list is the replacement of our carpeting in public areas, but everything has to wait its turn 

While I know we have a shower in the pool area- I must admit I have often times wished we had a bathroom adjoining or included in the pool area. There is, of course, a public restroom down the hall, but it does require guests walk through the lobby in their swimsuits! I understand how uncomfortable and inconvenient this can be- especially if you have little ones to run to the bathroom. Added a restroom would be a major construction project and probably not feasible in the immediate future, but I will share you suggestion/comment with our General Manager and property management company.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share- and I also want to extend myself to you should you have further questions, comments, or concerns,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The rooms are okay, the usual thing in semi-rural Wisconsin. The bed was a bit too soft, and the in-room air-conditioning way too noisy. The "included" breakfast is a joke: I can't remember when I had such terrible food or service. And the same goes for the attached restaurant for anything else: inexperienced staff and poor menu and beverage choices.

Room Tip: Try something on the upper floor away from the road for less noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Divot_Digger,

I want to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am really glad that you found your room sufficiently clean and comfortable, and I will pass along your feedback as an encouragement to the departments involved in your positive comments.

I also want to apologize for not meeting or exceeding expectations during your experience(s) in our adjoining restaurant. I hope you will be kind enough to contact me directly with specific feedback regarding areas you feel improvement is necessary. I have printed off a copy of your review for our general manager and kitchen supervisor- between the two of them they manage the kitchen and restaurant. My management really doesn’t extend to that department of hotel operations, but their efforts certainly affect the guests I strive to please.

We are coming up on our year anniversary of serving the breakfast in our restaurant off the menu (as opposed to our previous expanded continental breakfast). We are going to be evaluating whether the extra effort and staff is really improving the guest experience. I want to thank you for your feedback on this as it is going to be helpful in our upcoming evaluation. I hope that the drastic change we made in our switch to this format is an indication that we do listen to guest feedback and are willing to implement change!

I am including the contact information for our General Manager, Melissa Lentz. She will be heading up the upcoming evaluation of the breakfast format, and I know she would be happy for any additional feedback you may be able to provide!

& Melissa Lentz, GM- 608.356.1100 or mlentz@mars-llc.com
cedar rapids, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

stay there if your are going to the Baraboo/Wisconsin dells area- good price-good service- convenient locaton. We will definately stay there again. LOts of restaurants near by and the Dells is just a 5-10 minute drive away (its much less congested the closer you get to Baraboo)

Julie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share some of the positive aspects of your stay with us this summer. Some of the things that you’ve pointed out are, in my opinion, some of the nicest things about our location.

Yes, we are located a short distance from the Delton/Dells area, but I actually think this distance is a positive thing for our guests. We aren’t so far that a day taking advantage of the Dells attractions is difficult, but we aren’t “in the thick of it”. We have many guests you choose to drive the 15 minutes for a much quieter night.

I am really glad that our “quiet little town” was a benefit for you- and I’m especially glad you were able to enjoy the attractions and restaurants in the area.

Please feel free to contact me any time with further feedback, and again, thank you for sharing your impressions!

608.356.1100 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The room was great. Very clean, comfy beds with an assortment of pillows. Bathroom was very clean & nice too. Breakfast was included, but was mediocre. All the help was very friendly, especially Daniel, the front desk person. He was extremely helpful with suggestions of things to do in the area. I would definitely stay here again, & would like to rate this 3 1/2 stars.

Mary C,

Thank you so much for taking some time after your visit with us to share your impressions and concerns. We appreciate any and all feedback from guests- both feedback that encourages positive aspects of our hotel’s effort and discourages practices that need improvement.

I will be passing along your appreciation for your clean hotel room to our housekeeping staff. Housekeepers are some of the hardest working, important members of a hotel’s staff and their work is often times extremely under-appreciated. THANK YOU so much for including their work in your praise. They will all be incredibly encouraged to know that their effort was as positive part of your stay with us.

I will also be passing along your compliments to the rest of our staff. We are truly blessed to have a team full of people with hearts for people and a passion for hospitality. I love hearing when the person-to-person interaction is positive!

I also want to apologize for not exceeding certain expectations during your breakfast experience. We are coming up on our year anniversary of serving the breakfast in our restaurant off the menu (as opposed to our previous expanded continental breakfast). We’ve had similar feedback from other guests over the summer, and we are going to be evaluating whether the extra effort and staff is really improving the guest experience. I want to thank you for your feedback on this as it is going to be helpful in our upcoming evaluation. I hope that the drastic change we made in our switch to this format is an indication that we do listen to guest feedback and are willing to implement change!

Please feel free to contact me directly (I hope you do) with any addition feedback or suggestions. We would love to hear specifics about your breakfast experience,

608.356.110 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
hot springs, sd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Found the BW in Baraboo to be an accommodating hotel. Just a chain, but attached to a pleasant little bar/restaurant and the motel rooms had a handy desk and reasonably comfortable easy chair, great for managing computer and a bit of work. Most notably, though, the staff was really exceptional. Even arranged to keep the bar open a bit past the planned closing so I could get a bar after my twelve hour drive. Very pleasant people, from the front desk to the bartender to housekeeping. Lacks any particular ambience, but there is a little patio and I believe the river was back there somewhere, just didn't have time to explore. It was for me an easy walk (mile and a half) to historic downtown and the free breakfast was substantial.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dusty P,

I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of the Executive King rooms our hotel has to offer. We have 12 rooms on our 3rd floor that have had amenities specifically added with business travelers in mind. The larger desk, larger chair, additional outlets, and even top-floor placement were all taken into consideration to make work away from the office as comfortable as possible.

You’ve really thought of everything as you’ve shared your thoughts and impressions of our hotel. I will be passing along your encouragements to the kitchen, restaurant staff, front desk, housekeeping, etc- I know everyone will be glad to know they made a positive impact on your stay.

I hope you took advantage of our proximity to the nearby attractions while you were with us! Thank you, again, for sharing your review with all of us on TripAdvisor. Please feel free to contact me directly if you ever have any need!

608.356.1100 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dell...
#6 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
4.5 of 5 stars 592 reviews
Campus Inn Motel
Campus Inn Motel
#7 of 9 in Baraboo
3.0 of 5 stars 25 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ambassador Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Ambassador Inn & Su...
#28 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
4.0 of 5 stars 463 reviews
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#18 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
4.0 of 5 stars 604 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin De...
#26 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
4.0 of 5 stars 361 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!