“Okay rooms, terrible restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Seattle, Washington, USA
“Okay rooms, terrible restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The rooms are okay, the usual thing in semi-rural Wisconsin. The bed was a bit too soft, and the in-room air-conditioning way too noisy. The "included" breakfast is a joke: I can't remember when I had such terrible food or service. And the same goes for the attached restaurant for anything else: inexperienced staff and poor menu and beverage choices.

Room Tip: Try something on the upper floor away from the road for less noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Divot_Digger,

I want to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am really glad that you found your room sufficiently clean and comfortable, and I will pass along your feedback as an encouragement to the departments involved in your positive comments.

I also want to apologize for not meeting or exceeding expectations during your experience(s) in our adjoining restaurant. I hope you will be kind enough to contact me directly with specific feedback regarding areas you feel improvement is necessary. I have printed off a copy of your review for our general manager and kitchen supervisor- between the two of them they manage the kitchen and restaurant. My management really doesn’t extend to that department of hotel operations, but their efforts certainly affect the guests I strive to please.

We are coming up on our year anniversary of serving the breakfast in our restaurant off the menu (as opposed to our previous expanded continental breakfast). We are going to be evaluating whether the extra effort and staff is really improving the guest experience. I want to thank you for your feedback on this as it is going to be helpful in our upcoming evaluation. I hope that the drastic change we made in our switch to this format is an indication that we do listen to guest feedback and are willing to implement change!

I am including the contact information for our General Manager, Melissa Lentz. She will be heading up the upcoming evaluation of the breakfast format, and I know she would be happy for any additional feedback you may be able to provide!

& Melissa Lentz, GM- 608.356.1100 or mlentz@mars-llc.com

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
cedar rapids, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

stay there if your are going to the Baraboo/Wisconsin dells area- good price-good service- convenient locaton. We will definately stay there again. LOts of restaurants near by and the Dells is just a 5-10 minute drive away (its much less congested the closer you get to Baraboo)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Julie S,

Thank you for taking the time to share some of the positive aspects of your stay with us this summer. Some of the things that you’ve pointed out are, in my opinion, some of the nicest things about our location.

Yes, we are located a short distance from the Delton/Dells area, but I actually think this distance is a positive thing for our guests. We aren’t so far that a day taking advantage of the Dells attractions is difficult, but we aren’t “in the thick of it”. We have many guests you choose to drive the 15 minutes for a much quieter night.

I am really glad that our “quiet little town” was a benefit for you- and I’m especially glad you were able to enjoy the attractions and restaurants in the area.

Please feel free to contact me any time with further feedback, and again, thank you for sharing your impressions!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The room was great. Very clean, comfy beds with an assortment of pillows. Bathroom was very clean & nice too. Breakfast was included, but was mediocre. All the help was very friendly, especially Daniel, the front desk person. He was extremely helpful with suggestions of things to do in the area. I would definitely stay here again, & would like to rate this 3 1/2 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mary C,

Thank you so much for taking some time after your visit with us to share your impressions and concerns. We appreciate any and all feedback from guests- both feedback that encourages positive aspects of our hotel’s effort and discourages practices that need improvement.

I will be passing along your appreciation for your clean hotel room to our housekeeping staff. Housekeepers are some of the hardest working, important members of a hotel’s staff and their work is often times extremely under-appreciated. THANK YOU so much for including their work in your praise. They will all be incredibly encouraged to know that their effort was as positive part of your stay with us.

I will also be passing along your compliments to the rest of our staff. We are truly blessed to have a team full of people with hearts for people and a passion for hospitality. I love hearing when the person-to-person interaction is positive!

I also want to apologize for not exceeding certain expectations during your breakfast experience. We are coming up on our year anniversary of serving the breakfast in our restaurant off the menu (as opposed to our previous expanded continental breakfast). We’ve had similar feedback from other guests over the summer, and we are going to be evaluating whether the extra effort and staff is really improving the guest experience. I want to thank you for your feedback on this as it is going to be helpful in our upcoming evaluation. I hope that the drastic change we made in our switch to this format is an indication that we do listen to guest feedback and are willing to implement change!

Please feel free to contact me directly (I hope you do) with any addition feedback or suggestions. We would love to hear specifics about your breakfast experience,

608.356.110 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
hot springs, sd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Found the BW in Baraboo to be an accommodating hotel. Just a chain, but attached to a pleasant little bar/restaurant and the motel rooms had a handy desk and reasonably comfortable easy chair, great for managing computer and a bit of work. Most notably, though, the staff was really exceptional. Even arranged to keep the bar open a bit past the planned closing so I could get a bar after my twelve hour drive. Very pleasant people, from the front desk to the bartender to housekeeping. Lacks any particular ambience, but there is a little patio and I believe the river was back there somewhere, just didn't have time to explore. It was for me an easy walk (mile and a half) to historic downtown and the free breakfast was substantial.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dusty P,

I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of the Executive King rooms our hotel has to offer. We have 12 rooms on our 3rd floor that have had amenities specifically added with business travelers in mind. The larger desk, larger chair, additional outlets, and even top-floor placement were all taken into consideration to make work away from the office as comfortable as possible.

You’ve really thought of everything as you’ve shared your thoughts and impressions of our hotel. I will be passing along your encouragements to the kitchen, restaurant staff, front desk, housekeeping, etc- I know everyone will be glad to know they made a positive impact on your stay.

I hope you took advantage of our proximity to the nearby attractions while you were with us! Thank you, again, for sharing your review with all of us on TripAdvisor. Please feel free to contact me directly if you ever have any need!

Clive, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good price for a hotel very close to the Dells without the expense. Front desk very helpful. Ice available to stock cooler. Free breakfast for family of four with two rooms. Pool good but pool room very hot. Refrigerator in every room.

Dave R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to thoughtfully run through your observations of our hotel. We have a special appreciation for you reviews that share over-all impressions with a little extra detail included.

I agree that the pool area is warm. Of course part of that is due to the windowed walls, heated pool water, and general warm summer temperatures. Our head of maintenance has said the feeling has a lot to do with the humidity of the pool area, and we have recently spoken to a couple of companies about quotes for updating the ventilation system. Feedback like yours justify the update!

Thank you for your kind words for our staff and front desk specifically. I will pass along your feedback to the appropriate departments (and our general manager) as I know that the encouragement is especially nice as we find ourselves in the homestretch of the summer season!

Again, thank you, and please feel free to contact me should you have any further feedback or concerns,

Sales Manger
Covington, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family left the Best Western at Baraboo very impressed! Ms. Hutchens and her staff made us feel so welcomed! We were given the atrium to meet as a family(reunion) to dine, to fellowship, and love on one another in private every morning during our stay. It was special for us to do this w/o disturbing other guests during breakfast. Good full hot breakfast!! Rooms are clean! Staff professional!! Plenty clean towels! If you need a place to stay in the Dells....your place is Best Western at Baraboo! Baraboo is less than 10 minutes from Wisconsin Dells. In my "arnold schwarzenegger voice".....we will be back!!! All of us!! Just to let y'all know I've never known a busines to send you flowers and they are beatuiful flowers!!!

Schooling Mom,

Your family was such a joy to have with us this summer! I will keep this response brief as I know I’ve already communicated with you since you left the hotel, but I just wanted to say thank you, again.

I am so glad to hear that the little things we did to be helpful were appreciated, and I all of your positive feedback has really helped me nail down some of our large group practices. Setting aside a separate breakfast/area for gathering, putting everyone’s rooms near each other, etc- thank you for the affirmation! It does take a little more organizing, but my goal is always to provide the most positive experience for our guests and now I know these things are a good way to do that!

I don’t send flowers to every group contact, but your family was such a gracious, encouraging group that I felt I needed to say an extra little thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the bouquet  We look forward to having you back again! Best wishes from all of us,

608.356.1100- bestwesternsales@baraboo.com
Skokie, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've stayed at at many hotels in the Dells area ~ with kids and without. Hands down, this is the best hotel for price in the area. Clean, quiet rooms. Extremely comfortable bed, microwave, fridge. Breakfast in the restaurant included. Just a wonderful experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Marie C,

I am so glad to hear that our hotel was able to be a positive contributor to you time in our area! Most everyone on staff here is from the area or has lived here for quite a while, and we all strive to provide a good “home base” for guests visiting our home.

I want to assure you that I am passing along all of your kind words to the appropriate departments as I like to make our TripAdvisor feedback as useful as possible- and affirming good practices is often times just as useful as discouraging bad ones.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We all look forward to having you back in our area again. Summer is winding down, but the beautiful fall colors will be covering the Baraboo hills soon- worth another trip!

608.356.1100 or bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!