“Won't be back.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Big Bend, United States
“Won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The quality of this hotel has declined. The hall carpet was filthy, so was the elevator. We could not get fresh towels. The pool was also out of towels. The breakfast at their bar/restaurant was awful. We won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Jeanne,

I spoke to our General Manager, and she did share with me that she had emailed you through our internet based survey service, Medallia. I will keep my response here brief as I know we have been in contact with you since your stay, but I do want to let you (and other TripAdvisor guests) know about some of the steps we’ve taken since your stay.

While we had already ordered more towels as we were getting very low on extras. We had enough for the rooms, but we has just enough to have clean towels in the rooms and not enough for extras to be handed out during the day while cleaning the ones we’d removed from rooms. We have purchased towels while waiting on our order just to keep on hand for extras. Our goal is to make sure we have some on hand during the day during our switchover.

We have also received our order for extra pool towels. Unfortunately, despite signage asking guests to leave pool towels in the pool area, they do get taken back to guest rooms. This keeps our front desk staff from being able to wash and fold towels and replace them in the pool area during the evening hours. However, we have gotten additional towels, and I don’t anticipate the shortage through the end of the busy summer season.

We are still working on the breakfast provision. We made drastic changes in an effort to address the complaints we’d had about our continental breakfast and lack of seating. We haven’t yet gotten all of the issues worked out, and we are looking at changing the breakfast again in an effort to improve. I hope you, and our other guests, will note the drastic change we have made and know this is evidence of our willingness to listen and try different things.

Lastly, I have addressed the carpet issue several times on TripAdvisors and individually with our guests. The carpet is old and needs to be replaced. This I know and agree with. We have always had our carpets shampooed regularly (actually, they were again just this week), but they have reached a point where staining and age cannot be removed with soap and water. This is at the top of my personal list of priorities, but with monies being allocated for brand-mandated updates (bedding, flat screen televisions, etc.) it has been pushed back. We are having a Property Improvement Plan team visit us this fall from Best Western, and I know this improvement will finally be pushed up to mandate.

We were very happy to have you, and I hope that between my reponse here and the communications you’ve had with our General Manager we will have you back with us again.

Thank you, again, for sharing your concerns. Please feel free to contact either Melissa Lentz (General Manager) or myself to discuss any of these concerns further!

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Stillwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

A great place to stay! Staff was wonderful and the property is very well managed. Front desk staff were helpful during check-in and at sheck-out. Food in the restaurant was very good and the service was exceptional.. Room was clean and comfortable. Excellent experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Jennilynn,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our fellow TripAdvisors. I know that as a traveler I rely myself on this website, and I appreciate so much that you’ve shared your impression of our hotel.

Best Western provides our hotel management with some fantastic training tools for our staff, and I am glad that this training and effort was appreciated during your stay. I will be sure to share your review with our staff as I know it will be an incredible encouragement to our staff to keep up the good works they are doing.

We feel very fortunate to have a team of employees who take pride in their work and who share a passion for guest experience. Please know that we are always here to serve you…Even if you aren’t here! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me or our front desk staff anytime,

Sales/Front Office Manager
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed there as a mini-vacation and to be near Wis Dells for a concert. We had a king room and it was spacious with fridge, however, we were in an older section of the hotel. Smelled a little musty, but cleared once we opened a window. Bathroom was a bit on the small size, esp the potty. I'm a small person and this toliet looked like it belonged in a preschool setting. The "hot breakfast" that's included with the room is a menu-based breakfast (allowed to choose from 4 breakfast entrees) in the adjacent Bonzo's restaurant. I got the eggs, toast and potatoes dish and it was a decent portion. But they ran out of jelly. Overall: would stay at this hotel again, front desk staff was very courteous.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room facing HWY 12 and it wasn't noisy at all, even for a Friday night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TravelM79,

I am so glad to hear that our hotel was able to be a positive part of your mini-vacation, and I hope you and your husband enjoyed the concert you attended in the area. We are very lucky to live and work in an area that has so many fun things to do, and I am very happy you were able to come enjoy the entertainment!

I want to thank you for the thorough review of the hotel. We have an exceptional staff. Melissa Lentz, our general manager, and myself have grown up in Baraboo, and we feel very blessed to have staff members who share our passion for the area and the people visiting our hometown.

I agree with you about the mustiness and small stools in the bathrooms. The size of toilets has grown since installation, and while we want to update them we do have a couple of other things ahead in the line of priority.

I want to apologize for the mustiness. This is something we are battling, and trying to figure out a clever fix for. This summer has been unusually humid/rainy, and our air units are having difficulty keeping up with the moisture. I notice it regularly, and I appreciate your affirmation of the issue. Please know we are trying our best to address the issue mid-season.

I hope we will see you again soon. There are a lot of fun events in our area year round…Hopefully you two will be in our area again to enjoy another mini-vacation. We would love to share in the experience again,

Sales/Front Office Manager
Shawano, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

After attending a wedding, we went back to this hotel and wanted to have a couple of drinks in their bar so we wouldn't need to drive. To our dismay, they wanted to charge us $2/person to get into the bar! Supposedly they were having a costume party there that night and the $2 was for the "prize" money. I told the doorman we were not interested in his party, we just wanted to sit down and drop about $50 in drinks. He refused to let us in....NICE huh? AND...The next morning they served a complimentary breakfast (which they get 9.99 for) which sucked so bad, I'd have rather had a day old donut and orange juice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Ed S,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in Bonzos. I also want to ask that you contact me directly at the below phone number or email address as I would like very much to continue this conversation and clear up my own confusion.

It was my understanding that we had a guest who was asked to pay the cover charge during a special event in the restaurant adjoining our hotel, but when it was brought to my attention I had asked Daniel, the front desk clerk on duty to contact that guest and assure him that the fee would be waived. I was under the impression that this had been communicated, and I am very sorry for the confusion. I was unaware that this mis-communication had been made with more than one guest, and I would like to speak to our staff about how this happened.

I do want to assure you that this cover charge was waived from this point on in the evening, and we did have several guests in the hotel join us in enjoying the festivity and cocktails.

We do have special events in Bonzos about four times a year during which a cover charge is put in place, but outside of these events we do not charge entry fees, and I also want to assure you that going forward we will make sure to inform the people working at the door that guests of the hotel are not required to add to funds.

Again, I am sorry for this confusion, and I hope you will contact me personally I would be happy to discuss further this incident. I know our staff in the hotel was very disappointed that the event in the adjoining business dampened your impression of the hotel. We hope that you will give all of us an opportunity to better serve you in the future,

Melissa Lentz
bestwestern@baraboo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here two nights when in town for a business meeting. Good value, good breakfast. Found myself there for dinner and although the menu is limited, the food I had was good (salad) and a great martini. Internet is reasonable speed and the room was quite! Not too many screaming kids (which was nice).

Room Tip: Pick the top floor (3) and ask for the back view (to avoid any street noise)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Regina,

Thank you for sharing your perspective, as a traveling business person, of our hotel. Business travelers are our most consistent types of guests, and I am so glad to have had your impression shared as I think it will be helpful to the many people who come to our area on work-related trips.

We are very lucky to have the restaurant and bar adjoining our hotel, and I want to assure you that I will pass along your compliments to the staff. We only recently (less than a year ago) changed the breakfast to being served in the restaurant and are very eager for guest feedback.

Also, your suggestion about room placement for a quieter room was wonderful! We actually have rooms on the third floor that have amenities specifically put in place for our business travelers. We call them executive king rooms, and they have a larger desk with additional outlets for electronics (laptops, etc.).

I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you the next time business brings you to our area. Please feel free to contact me with any further feedback, comments, or concerns!

Cartersville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Upon entering the hotel I was thinking, this is TA # 1 rated hotel?? The doors certainly needed cleaning and so did the carpet. I knew TA couldn't be that far off!!! Checked in, walked in the room and surprise, it was very, clean!!! Yah!! But, sometimes first impression isn't always right. If I had walked into the lobby without TA, I would have turned around and scooted on out. We ended up staying two nights. Went to Frank Lloyd Wrights home, TALIESIN!!!! Must see, and we also enjoyed Ringling Bros. park..... Rode the elephant too!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the back side, away from hwy. if you are a light sleeper. We didn't but we had no proble...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grannadee,

Thank you so much for both your review of our hotel and for sharing some of the fun things you did in our area.

I want to apologize that the initial appearance was underwhelming. I have spoken to our head of housekeeping and general manager about the designation of cleaning the public areas, etc. While there are general improvements needing to be made (new carpeting) we can always do the best with what we have.

Housekeepers are often times overlooked for the hard work they do. I want to thank you for your kind words about the cleanliness of your room, and I want to assure you that I will be passing along your compliment to our housekeeping department.

I hope you will be back in our area soon to enjoy some of the other attractions we have, or to visit the elephants again. We laugh that in Baraboo, in the middle of Wisconsin, it isn’t unusual to see an Elephant bathing in the river…I’m glad we were a part of your experience, and, again, hope to see you again soon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed in 2 adjoining rooms with 3 adults and 4 small children - during a weekend getaway to visit Circus World museum.

The AARP price was very reasonable and the staff was pleasant and helpful with my requests for adjoining rooms on the "quiet side" and for a possible early check- in (which we actually did not end up needing.) We were on the first floor near the small bar/restaurant that is part of the hotel. We did experience a small amount of noise - some running sounds from upstairs and a bit of door slamming noise - but nothing out of the norm for a hotel.

We had rooms with two comfortable beds each, a modern TV, table with two chairs, and a fridge/microwave cabinet. The bathroom was good size with a nice large counter and the shower was good. Towels were plentiful and decently thick. Free coffee was available at both the front desk and a coffee maker in the room.

The pool was good size and ranged from 3-5 ft. It was clean and a bit on the coolish side. The hot tub was right next to the pool and was wonderful.

After checking in at the end of our full day at Circus World, we decided to eat dinner in the attached restaurant rather than pack everyone back in the car. They have salads, sandwiches, and several entrees in the 9-12 dollar range, plus 5 dollar kids meals. Food was good and generous portions - we recommend the prime rib sandwich!

There is no breakfast buffet. Included with the room is a coupon for 1 entree/1 drink in the restaurant. We enjoyed the cinnamon roll french toast and veggie omelet. Coffee did not count as the "drink" - so was able to have it along with juice. It really was quite a nice change to enjoy a hot, fresh breakfast - instead of the usual rolls and cereal at most other hotels. The only thing we missed was the ability to get juice or milk for the kids - prior to going to the actual breakfast - so bring some with you and put it in your room fridge - if traveling with small children.

Baraboo is only 15 minutes from Wisconsin Dells - so I would certainly consider staying here again if visiting the outdoor waterparks or other attractions in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear BudgetTraveler55,

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Your review was a pleasure to read, but not only because of its positive content. It completely affirms the reason most of us at the hotel have chosen to work in hospitality. We all strive to enhance the Baraboo experience for anyone coming to visit the city we’ve made home.

My favorite part of your review was at the end when you noted how close we are to the Dells area, and that you are considering coming back to stay with us. There is so much to do in the area, and I really believe a trip back to see anything you might not have had time for would be well worth the visit. Please feel free to call our front desk or me if you have any questions about attractions in the area.

You were so good to share the details of your stay, and I want to thank you for the full review of our breakfast. It is still relatively new, and we really appreciate all of the feedback we can get. I am sure other travelers will appreciate the wonderful tips you’ve made (bringing juice boxes, etc.), but I want to assure you that your review will also be shared with all departments for the sake of encouragement and improvement where possible.

We look forward to sharing Baraboo with you again in the future, and I hope you will feel free to contact me if you have further comments or questions.

Best Western Baraboo Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!