“Decent older BW” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent older BW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have no complaints about my stay. I do recommend staying on the west side away from the road, which I switched immediately. My new room then had a TV malfunction that the staff fixed quickly.
All very nice people. The facility is older; my room had the old push button control AC unit.
Luckily it was quiet. Plus a small frig and microwave too. The TV was a HD flat screen .Everything was clean and well maintained. The cost was very low. Breakfast in the adjacent restaurant was good and quick. The server was bubbly and a hustler. They offer many options of the menu as part of your stay. Great idea, and nice change from the typical buffet.

Room Tip: Stay away from highway side. Ground floor was quiet, bare in mind this is still the off season.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
B W,

It was wonderful of you to review of our hotel and your experience here with us. I love when our guests take the time to share the details of their stay and share suggestions with future guests.

I want to apologize about the sound issue you encountered on your television when you first checked in, and I am very glad we were able to get it addressed right away. I appreciate you so much for giving us the opportunity immediately upon arrival to switch you to a room that would be more comfortable and also for giving us the opportunity to fix the television. We are always happy to be able to address these sorts of needs immediately!

We are located on one of the main roads in Baraboo, and while this makes finding the hotel more convenient it does sometime create a noise issue. Thank you for sharing your suggestion to be on the side of the building that faces away from the road. We also have a wing of our hotel that is set back a little farther from the road, and we have found this area of the hotel has slightly less traffic noise as well.

We moved away from the continental breakfast last fall, and I am so glad for your opinion on the change. It is still a relatively new addition to our guest experience, and I am always happy for feedback. I am glad your breakfast was a good start to your day!

I hope very much to have you stay with us again in the future. Please let me know if there is anything I can do personally to be of assistance,

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Racine, Wisconsin, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great stay; loved the bed and the room. Very comfortable. The only thing was; we arrived at 1:00 a.m. got into bed at 1:30 to sleep.. Couldnt sleep. The people in the next room over decided to have sex: it was like they were having sex in our room it was that clear of voices... Needless to say I finally got to sleep at 2:30 a.m. to get up at 6a.m. It was nasty; why are the walls so thin!?!?! I even had a child with me that couldn't sleep due to this!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Rachel G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very glad that you found the bed and room comfortable, but I am very sorry to hear about the disturbance you had while with us!

We hope to give all of our guests a comfortable, peaceful night of rest, and I am sorry this wasn’t entirely your experience. Occasionally we have guests who stay with us who aren’t considerate of their neighbors. We at the hotel are always disappointed to hear when one guest affects another in a less than positive way.

I want to assure you, for future stays with us, that our front desk clerks are all very willing to call or visit rooms and ask that they lower their noise level. I am very sorry that we weren’t able to address this for you at the time, but I hope you will accept my apologies and promises to address sort of issue if it ever happens again.

I am very glad you were able to visit the Baraboo area, and if there is every anything we can do to be of service to you in the future please let me know. I would be happy to discuss any of your concerns or thoughts further if you would like to contact me,

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Were there for pleasure - ending cabin fever from our long winter and late spring by hiking some trails at Devils Lake. Two weekend trips, one with family (wife & mother-in-law), one later trip just as a couple. Great local knowledge by night staff (Daniel) of other local scenery (Derwoods Glen, Pewits Nest). Fantastic price on a clean, hot tub room. Room service steak dinner from restaurant was simple and superlative. Slight bit of road noise from Hwy 12 but all in all, batteries recharged and ready to get back to nature for the remaining spring and summer/fall seasons.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room on back side of hotel for minimal noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Aaron,

I can’t begin to tell you how happy and assured I felt reading your review! Not only were you in the Baraboo area enjoying my own personal favorite “attractions”, but our hotel and staff was able to be a positive part of your time in our town.

I am so glad that we were able to provide a place for your mother-in-law, wife, and you to come back to after enjoying the beautiful natural areas nearby.

I want to thank you, especially, for your kind words for our staff. I will, of course, be passing along your compliments to Daniel, the staff in Bonzos, and housekeeping. We have been blessed with a team that truly loves the Baraboo area, and we all try and create an atmosphere as welcoming as possible. Your words of affirmation will make everyone very happy!

I’ve already shared your review with our General Manager, and her response was, “He’s pretty much summarized why we do what we do…I love it when people discover and enjoy our little gem.” Now, I don’t know if she was referring to our hotel, our natural areas, or our town in general, but Baraboo has been referred to as the “Gem City” since the early 1900’s (I think around then). The nickname was originally indicative of the semi-precious stones around the Devil’s Lake/Baraboo Hills, but I think it applies nicely to a pretty little town nestled in the hills.

I look forward to continuing to be your home-base when return to the Baraboo area to hike and explore. If there is ever anything I can do to help you in the future please let me know,

Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were comfortable, good sized & clean. The pool was nice & clean & the kids all had a great time swimming. We came as a large group with lots of kids & staff made us feel very welcome! Daniel the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly & could not have been more accommodating. The restaurant was good & offered a wide variety of breakfast choices (free for all guests).
Manager Christine was very nice & went above & beyond to make sure everything was just right.
Hope to stay there again next year!

• Stayed March 2013
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Sara,

Your group was such a joy to have at the hotel, and I am SO happy that we’ll be hosting you all again next year! I will keep my response here on the short side as we’ve spoken since your stay.

I want to thank you, again, for being in contact and allowing our hotel to host your group. Guests like you (and your team) make working in hospitality very rewarding. There is nothing I enjoy more than feeling like we’ve expanded our hotel “family”- and I very much looking forward to seeing your group again and building familiarity

Thank you so much for sharing the positive experiences you had at our hotel, and thank you for (already) giving us another opportunity to host your team again next year.

I have passed along your compliments to Daniel, the restaurant, and the rest of the appropriate staff. Thank you so much for your kind words for all of us!

We’ll be in contact as your return to our area approaches, but in the meantime, please feel free to contact me anytime!

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I were once again trekking through Wisconsin at random....and stopped to visit family. There are not many choices in Baraboo, so I was a bit skeptical, though my skepticism was calmed by looking at traveler photos on tripadvisor. When we got to the hotel, Daniel was on shift. He was very personable and had great recommendations when we asked. He was very knowledgeable and seemed to genuinely like helping and answering questions.
The room was very comfortable. I noticed the faint odor of a once smoking permitted hotel (there is really no way to get that smell completely out).
The bed....the bed was sooooo comfortable!
The bathroom was small, though they had fitted the shower so that tall people do not have to contort themselves (I am 5'11 and my husband is 6'2...we really appreciate this).
I did notice as we were leaving that most of the rooms had older TVs (we had a flat screen in ours)...
There was a complimentary breakfast, made to order, and it was very good. The wait staff at the restaurant was very nice as well.

Room Tip: You might want to avoid getting a room on the East facing side....only because of the road noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Evildoer78,

I’ve always enjoyed that the town of Baraboo is pleasantly surprising. I am very glad that our hotel was able to rise to the Baraboo standard and surprised you, pleasantly, too! We are very glad that your husband and you chose to stay with us while visiting family, and I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are meandering through our great state.

I will, of course, pass along your compliments to Daniel. He has a passion for guest services, and has offered up his skills as a concierge while working at our front desk. Both our general manager and I have grown up in Baraboo, and we always look to hire people who enjoy the area we have and continue to call home. Daniel has become a treasured part of our staff as he has continually grown to share and promote the Baraboo area.

I want to apologize for any lingering smoke smell. We did do everything we could to eliminate the odor that was in the previous smoking rooms, but there are still a couple of things we hope to do to remove the remaining traces. We are hoping to get the carpeting replaced and paint (again) the rooms affected. I am sorry this affected your stay, and I thank you for pointing out that there is a necessity remaining.

Our bedding features Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop mattresses. We have been so pleased with our guests reaction to these mattresses that we plan on always replacing with this particular brand and make. We have actually had couples call and ask what kind they were because they wanted to purchase the same for their homes!

We do still have some older televisions in our hotel. These are going to be replaced with flat screen televisions by the end of this year. I hope to have them by the summer season, but I can’t be sure about the order and ship dates at this time.

Again, thank you so much for staying with us while in Baraboo. If there is ever anything I can do to be of help to you in the future please contact me directly at the hotel,

Auburn, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

we stayed three nights and really enjoyed our stay here. good location. clean and there were two employees were excellent , very kind, helpful-hard working . front desk clerk Daniel and waitress Erin . always had smiles on there faces and this place was packed and busy ,he was the only employee at desk -never would have know it and Erin was our waitress all three days very good. Hats off to you . Other thing I would like to mention was the bar manager , very good -I was waiting for family to join me she made fresh coffee for me , later a large group of my family arrived she got drinks for them . made our visit very enjoyable as well We are from out of state but have family in area will stay here again and price was so reasonable also , Like the breaksfast vouchers order what you like , fresh hot meal. Alot to do in the area. Thank you all ! Only problem was our room was not cleaned second day -but was taken care of when notified .

Room Tip: main building has elevator -new part has bigger rooms but only stairs. Didn't know this ahead an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Victoria,

I enjoyed, very much, reading through your review. I hope you know how much I appreciate the details you provided. It is always so nice when a guest takes the time to share both the things they enjoyed and the things we need to continue working on.

I will pass along your compliments to Daniel, Erin, and Becky (our bar manager). Our staff truly enjoys sharing the Baraboo area with our guests, and I know they will all be glad to know they had a positive impact on your experience in our town. Thank you, again, for your kind words of encouragement for our staff.

I will also mention to our housekeeping supervisor about the lack of service on the 2nd day of your stay. I was glad to hear you were able to get your needs addressed later, but that doesn’t change that there was a lapse in service. I am very sorry for this, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Baraboo has a lot to offer, and I am glad you found plenty to do in the area. I am especially glad that we were a positive part of your visit to the area. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional comments or concerns. I would love to hear from you, and we would, all of us at the hotel, love to see you again soon!

Royal Center, Indiana, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Breakfast was good the only thing was they didn't keep the food filled very good room was comfy close to where we wanted to be bed was comfortable the service was ok we enjoyed the stay will probably stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Deloris,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience at our hotel. I am so glad that you were able to visit the Baraboo area this March, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Bed comfort is, to me, very important in hospitality. There are many extra amenities that our hotel offers in addition to a place to put your head, but I still think that essentially a comfortable night’s sleep is the core of a hotel stay. I have shared with our general manager that you enjoyed our beds, and I have also thanked our front desk staff for arranging for your room to be near where you’d asked.

I would very much appreciate if you might contact me directly about your experience with the breakfast. Since switching to the cooked-to-order breakfast last September I haven’t had any feedback about not keeping the food filled (keeping our continental breakfast stocked was an issue we were trying to address in our change). I have shared your comment with our kitchen manager, and I have also written a note for our waitresses asking that they continue to be mindful of keeping our guests coffees, juices, etc. filled. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to address your concern.

Thank you, again, Deloris. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Baraboo area. Until then, enjoy the start of spring!

bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!