“We'll be back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Northwest Indiana
“We'll be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This facility is nice. I am very picky about cleanliness and our room was clean. The hallway carpets are in desperate need of cleaning. The best part of our stay was the front desk host Daniel. Best Western should be thankful to have him as an employee. He promotes the hotel and the Baraboo area with great enthusiasm. He went above and beyond to make our stay great. The day front dest staff could not be more different and unfriendly...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Musgroves:

Thank you so very much for your review of our hotel and staff. Our staff is comprised of people who truly love the area in which we work, and I am very glad that this was evident to you during your stay. I know we all feel as though our area makes being in hospitality a joy- when you love the town you live/work in it is much easier to welcome people to it. I also want you to know that I had a sit down with our primary day-shift clerk, and we did discuss how they might communicate in a more friendly and helpful manner. Thus far I have noticed significant improvement since our chat, and I hope the next time you’re at our hotel you will also notice an improvement.

I want to assure you that I have passed your review on to our housekeeping department. Being a housekeeper is a challenging job; it can often times be a thankless one. I am so grateful to you for taking the time to note the hard work our housekeepers do to maintain a clean hotel for our guests. It is such an encouragement to all of them that they made a positive impact on your stay with us.

I agree that the carpets throughout our hotel leave much to be desired. We do keep them on a regular shampooing schedule, and unfortunately they gotten to the point where we can’t shampoo away the age and wear. Late last year we began the process of pricing and picking sampling for new carpets. We have made our selections, and at this point are waiting for approval for the purchase. Please know it is an issue we are aware of and are trying to address as soon as possible.

608.356.1100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Marengo, Illinois, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We enjoy the service at this hotel. Everyone is very friendly. Service is great. We love the breakfast and the bar area. We like that they respond to our feedback and feel they care about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Patricia M:

Thank you so much for sharing the things you like best about our hotel. It is always encouraging to hear what changes and efforts we have made are appreciated and enjoyed.

I want to assure you that I will share your positive feedback with all of our departments as a way of encouraging them to keep up the service they are providing.

I spend a part of everyday reviewing and responding to TripAdvisor reviews, guest comment cards, and our emailed surveys because I haven’t found a better way of maintaining and improving our hotel service than listening to our guests. All of us on staff strive to provide the best service and build the best relationships with our guests, and I am very grateful to you for noticing this effort.

If there is ever anything I can do to help you, any question I can answer, any subject I can address- please feel free to contact me directly. I would be happy to speak with you, and I look forward to seeing you again soon,

Barrington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Reasonably priced hotel with nice cooked to order breakfast. We just needed a place to sleep for the weekend before skiing Saturday and Sunday at Devils Head. The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. You could order anything off the menu for breakfast in the restaurant and it was covered with the free voucher. The bed was adequate. The room rate for Saturday night was overpriced, but the ability to buy discounted lift tickets at the front desk is nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Disneycrazy,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience you had with us while in the area skiing. I especially appreciate your review as many of the travelers in our area this time of year are here to enjoy the ski hills in the Baraboo area, and your review speaks directly to their travel plans.

I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed the cooked-to-order breakfast we are now offering our guests. This is still a relatively new service at our hotel (we started it this past fall), and we are eager to have feedback on this addition to our guests’ stay.

I am also glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our discounted lift tickets for Devil’s Head Ski Resort. We have been able to offer these to our guests for the past couple of years, and we have found the money saved on lift tickets helps our guests make their ski trips! We plan on continuing this partnership with Devil’s Head for coming winters.

Our weekend rates vary depending on demand, and our rates typically are the highest on the weekends. We do try to keep a close eye on our availability, and I will keep your comments about our weekend rates in mind as we continue to try and keep our hotel’s rates competitive.

I will be sure to pass your comments and compliments along to the appropriate departments.

Thank you, again, for taking time out of your day to share your experience!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here to go to skiing, so we were thankfully at the hotel very little. First, there were smokers permanently parked just outside the front door, so that literally every time we came in and out, we walked through a haze of smoke. My kids complained that they didn't want to walk through it everytime. Second, the entire room smelled like cigarette smoke, with the bathroom being the worst. You would have thought someone was sitting in there smoking, that is how fresh and awful it smelled. We asked for them to fix the problem, and they handed my husband some air freshener (needless to say, it didn't work). When we got home, all our clothes smelled, even ones we hadn't worn!! My kids asked why the hallways smelled like smoke too. Even though all the rooms have "nonsmoking room" signs on the doors, CLEARLY all the smokers are smoking in them anyway!!!! The free breakfast was adequate, and the kids enjoyed the VERY SMALL indoor pool. It was advertised as "heated," but it felt very cold. No adults went in, but the kids did. We will definitely be returning to this area again, but will definitely NOT be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
AdrianB,

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to review our hotel. I regret the experience that you’ve shared with us here, and I hope you will be open to staying with us again despite your disappointments.

Yes, in Wisconsin people who choose to smoke are required to do so outside of the building. We have more than area outside that is designated for this activity; however, during the snow/cold season people tend to choose to stay close to the entrances. I am sorry that this creates less distance between smokers and non-smokers.

I was more disappointed to hear about the smell of cigarette smoke you encountered in your room. It is true that despite state regulations and the best efforts of our front desk we occasionally have people who choose to smoke inside their rooms. These guests find themselves subject to a hefty fine for doing so. We also take these rooms off market to be deep cleaned if this does happen. I share your disappointment that this was missed prior to your check-in. I assure you I have spoken with our head of housekeeping about the procedures we have in place for cleaning and reclaiming rooms after these incidents occur.

I want to assure you I have spoken with our front desk clerks about the issue you had while with us, and I have gone over options and ideas for better resolution.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your experience further. And, again, I hope you will choose to give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future,

Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed there the first weekend in December to visit relatives for an early Christmas celebration. The beds were extremely comfortable and we had a great night's sleep there. Daniel at the front desk was wonderful -- he is what true customer service is all about. Answered all of our questions and went above and beyond to share information about what was going on in the area that weekend. Nice touch to have breakfast at Bonzos instead of the traditional, busy, dirty, crowded breakfast area that you usually get at a hotel like this. Wait staff there was attentive and food was excellent. Yes, the carpets are worn and dirty, but sounds like they are addressing this and had it not been for other reviewers commenting on it, we may not have noticed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear GB Girl,

I am so glad that we were able to help make your Christmas trip an enjoyable and relaxing one! I know they can be hectic and busy, and for that reason I particularly appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share a thorough review of your time with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the changes we’ve made to our complimentary breakfast. It is a relatively new change at the hotel, so we are very appreciative of any guest feedback. It is important for us to know what changes we’ve made are successful. Also, thank you for the compliments to the restaurant staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them as I know it will be a great encouragement to all of them.

I will also be passing along your compliments to Daniel. I know he likes to keep tabs on our TripAdvisor reviews, and I am sure he will be very happy to know his ethic and attitude were appreciated. He truly has a heart for our hotel and area, and I am so glad this was noticed! I am very grateful to have him heading up our front desk and setting the example for guest service.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future, and again, thank you for your feedback,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hallways were very dirty the staff at night was great but the morning women never even greeted me .the room was clean but the overall cleanliness was an issue for me I have stayed her before and might again only because the price is right

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Candace Q,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us while in Baraboo for New Year’s Eve. I know the holidays can be a busy time, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your taking the time despite the busy season.

We do have an issue with aging carpet in the hallways and public areas in the hotel. I want to assure you that we do keep our carpets on a regular shampooing schedule, but unfortunately we have gotten to the point where the carpets need replacing. We are aware of this issue, and we are actively working towards getting the carpets replaced. Our general manager and myself have met with more than one carpet installation company and chosen our samples. We are, at this point, waiting for our samples to come in to have them approved. I appreciate your patience with us while we work to get this part of our hotel improved.

Also, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your compliments about our staff. I always share our TripAdvisor feedback with our staff, and I know they will be more than pleased to hear they made a positive impact on your stay with us.

I am very glad that you will be back with us again in the future. If there is anything further you’d like to share or discuss with me please feel free to contact me by email or phone!

Mazomanie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The front desk help was great, the woman in front of us was upset and I think that he handled himself very well! The bathroom was a bit small but managable. Bonzo's that is attached to the hotel was good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Recent Guest:

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I appreciate so much the attention you paid to the multiple facets of hotel experience.

This past year we have had some new faces join our front desk staff, and I am so grateful that they have the young man you referred to as an example of guest problem resolution. Our entire staff is certified in the ICARE program, the customer service program required by Best Western, and I can’t begin to tell you how invaluable this training has been for all of us! The program teaches us to inquire, have a can do attitude, ask questions, resolve the problem, and express gratitude. The young man I believe you are referring to does an amazing job communicating to guests in this manner, and I know he will appreciate knowing it was noticed!

Also, I appreciate your opinion on the bathroom size- it is a concern we have had other guests express in the past; however, the construction costs required to increase the size of the bathroom is not something we can afford at this time. That being said we do have several other updates that we are looking forward to this year, and I hope you will be back soon to enjoy them!

Lastly, thank you for your compliment to our restaurant, Bonzos. We recently made some changes to the menu (including changing from continental to cooked-to-order breakfast), and I know our chef and serving staff will be happy to hear you enjoyed your meal!

Again, thank you for your feedback. We rely on surveys and social media to help hold us to our own brand and personal standards. I so appreciate our guests who understand and help us in this endeavor. I look forward to seeing you at our hotel again!

Christine Hutchens- Sales Manager
608.356.1100 (t)
chutchens@mars-llc.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!