“Ski weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Barrington, Illinois
“Ski weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Reasonably priced hotel with nice cooked to order breakfast. We just needed a place to sleep for the weekend before skiing Saturday and Sunday at Devils Head. The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. You could order anything off the menu for breakfast in the restaurant and it was covered with the free voucher. The bed was adequate. The room rate for Saturday night was overpriced, but the ability to buy discounted lift tickets at the front desk is nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Disneycrazy,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience you had with us while in the area skiing. I especially appreciate your review as many of the travelers in our area this time of year are here to enjoy the ski hills in the Baraboo area, and your review speaks directly to their travel plans.

I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed the cooked-to-order breakfast we are now offering our guests. This is still a relatively new service at our hotel (we started it this past fall), and we are eager to have feedback on this addition to our guests’ stay.

I am also glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our discounted lift tickets for Devil’s Head Ski Resort. We have been able to offer these to our guests for the past couple of years, and we have found the money saved on lift tickets helps our guests make their ski trips! We plan on continuing this partnership with Devil’s Head for coming winters.

Our weekend rates vary depending on demand, and our rates typically are the highest on the weekends. We do try to keep a close eye on our availability, and I will keep your comments about our weekend rates in mind as we continue to try and keep our hotel’s rates competitive.

I will be sure to pass your comments and compliments along to the appropriate departments.

Thank you, again, for taking time out of your day to share your experience!

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here to go to skiing, so we were thankfully at the hotel very little. First, there were smokers permanently parked just outside the front door, so that literally every time we came in and out, we walked through a haze of smoke. My kids complained that they didn't want to walk through it everytime. Second, the entire room smelled like cigarette smoke, with the bathroom being the worst. You would have thought someone was sitting in there smoking, that is how fresh and awful it smelled. We asked for them to fix the problem, and they handed my husband some air freshener (needless to say, it didn't work). When we got home, all our clothes smelled, even ones we hadn't worn!! My kids asked why the hallways smelled like smoke too. Even though all the rooms have "nonsmoking room" signs on the doors, CLEARLY all the smokers are smoking in them anyway!!!! The free breakfast was adequate, and the kids enjoyed the VERY SMALL indoor pool. It was advertised as "heated," but it felt very cold. No adults went in, but the kids did. We will definitely be returning to this area again, but will definitely NOT be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
AdrianB,

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to review our hotel. I regret the experience that you’ve shared with us here, and I hope you will be open to staying with us again despite your disappointments.

Yes, in Wisconsin people who choose to smoke are required to do so outside of the building. We have more than area outside that is designated for this activity; however, during the snow/cold season people tend to choose to stay close to the entrances. I am sorry that this creates less distance between smokers and non-smokers.

I was more disappointed to hear about the smell of cigarette smoke you encountered in your room. It is true that despite state regulations and the best efforts of our front desk we occasionally have people who choose to smoke inside their rooms. These guests find themselves subject to a hefty fine for doing so. We also take these rooms off market to be deep cleaned if this does happen. I share your disappointment that this was missed prior to your check-in. I assure you I have spoken with our head of housekeeping about the procedures we have in place for cleaning and reclaiming rooms after these incidents occur.

I want to assure you I have spoken with our front desk clerks about the issue you had while with us, and I have gone over options and ideas for better resolution.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your experience further. And, again, I hope you will choose to give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future,

Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed there the first weekend in December to visit relatives for an early Christmas celebration. The beds were extremely comfortable and we had a great night's sleep there. Daniel at the front desk was wonderful -- he is what true customer service is all about. Answered all of our questions and went above and beyond to share information about what was going on in the area that weekend. Nice touch to have breakfast at Bonzos instead of the traditional, busy, dirty, crowded breakfast area that you usually get at a hotel like this. Wait staff there was attentive and food was excellent. Yes, the carpets are worn and dirty, but sounds like they are addressing this and had it not been for other reviewers commenting on it, we may not have noticed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear GB Girl,

I am so glad that we were able to help make your Christmas trip an enjoyable and relaxing one! I know they can be hectic and busy, and for that reason I particularly appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share a thorough review of your time with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the changes we’ve made to our complimentary breakfast. It is a relatively new change at the hotel, so we are very appreciative of any guest feedback. It is important for us to know what changes we’ve made are successful. Also, thank you for the compliments to the restaurant staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them as I know it will be a great encouragement to all of them.

I will also be passing along your compliments to Daniel. I know he likes to keep tabs on our TripAdvisor reviews, and I am sure he will be very happy to know his ethic and attitude were appreciated. He truly has a heart for our hotel and area, and I am so glad this was noticed! I am very grateful to have him heading up our front desk and setting the example for guest service.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future, and again, thank you for your feedback,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hallways were very dirty the staff at night was great but the morning women never even greeted me .the room was clean but the overall cleanliness was an issue for me I have stayed her before and might again only because the price is right

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Candace Q,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us while in Baraboo for New Year’s Eve. I know the holidays can be a busy time, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your taking the time despite the busy season.

We do have an issue with aging carpet in the hallways and public areas in the hotel. I want to assure you that we do keep our carpets on a regular shampooing schedule, but unfortunately we have gotten to the point where the carpets need replacing. We are aware of this issue, and we are actively working towards getting the carpets replaced. Our general manager and myself have met with more than one carpet installation company and chosen our samples. We are, at this point, waiting for our samples to come in to have them approved. I appreciate your patience with us while we work to get this part of our hotel improved.

Also, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your compliments about our staff. I always share our TripAdvisor feedback with our staff, and I know they will be more than pleased to hear they made a positive impact on your stay with us.

I am very glad that you will be back with us again in the future. If there is anything further you’d like to share or discuss with me please feel free to contact me by email or phone!

Mazomanie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The front desk help was great, the woman in front of us was upset and I think that he handled himself very well! The bathroom was a bit small but managable. Bonzo's that is attached to the hotel was good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Recent Guest:

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I appreciate so much the attention you paid to the multiple facets of hotel experience.

This past year we have had some new faces join our front desk staff, and I am so grateful that they have the young man you referred to as an example of guest problem resolution. Our entire staff is certified in the ICARE program, the customer service program required by Best Western, and I can’t begin to tell you how invaluable this training has been for all of us! The program teaches us to inquire, have a can do attitude, ask questions, resolve the problem, and express gratitude. The young man I believe you are referring to does an amazing job communicating to guests in this manner, and I know he will appreciate knowing it was noticed!

Also, I appreciate your opinion on the bathroom size- it is a concern we have had other guests express in the past; however, the construction costs required to increase the size of the bathroom is not something we can afford at this time. That being said we do have several other updates that we are looking forward to this year, and I hope you will be back soon to enjoy them!

Lastly, thank you for your compliment to our restaurant, Bonzos. We recently made some changes to the menu (including changing from continental to cooked-to-order breakfast), and I know our chef and serving staff will be happy to hear you enjoyed your meal!

Again, thank you for your feedback. We rely on surveys and social media to help hold us to our own brand and personal standards. I so appreciate our guests who understand and help us in this endeavor. I look forward to seeing you at our hotel again!

Christine Hutchens- Sales Manager
608.356.1100 (t)
chutchens@mars-llc.com
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed there back in September and after staying at a nice Best Western in Milwaukee, it reminded me of our stay here. I read mixed reviews before booking but we tend to read between the lines. I am not booking here again unless I know they update their facility and clean it up better. The breakfast provided at the attached restaurant was great. The bed was ok, the room was not the cleanest, but when it came time to get some sleep, we did not get much. It was a warm night and the cooling system in the room was on it's last legs as it it was very noisy everytime it kicked in and ran. It was as if a belt was slipping. We shut it down and opened the window,but with all of the traffic noise, we did not get much sleep. Did not know that there was that much traffic on a Satuday night/Sunday morning in Baraboo. The facility is getting outdated and needs some fixing up. Something more than a bandaid I'm afraid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear September Guest,

I want to thank you for taking time to review our hotel- even a couple months after the fact! I am very glad to hear you enjoyed the Best Western you stayed at in the Milwaukee area.

I want to apologize for the working order of the HVAC unit in your room during your stay. This summer was, for all of us in Wisconsin, unreasonably hot! Unfortunately by the time we got to September several of our units were indeed on their last leg. We were able to make the needed replacements and improvements towards the end of September once we were able to access and order what was needed. I am very sorry that these were not made when you came to visit in mid-September. I do want to assure that we have addressed the issues we were made aware of.

Also, we have been able to put Simmons BeautyRest Pillowtop mattresses on all of our floors save one- we are hoping to get those mattresses switched over by next summer. We have had wonderful reviews on the Simmons mattresses- I’ve even had more than one call from past guests asking what beds we have because they want to buy one for their home! I hope you will come back to visit us again next summer (or sooner) and tell us what you think of these mattresses.

I have mentioned it in previous responses, but we are planning on having several major updates made in the hotel by 2013. The first major improvement was made last year when we switched to the triple-white-sheet bedding in our rooms, the next is having all flat screen televisions in the hotel by January 1st, 2013, and the last is having the carpeting replaced throughout the hotel! We have made our carpeting selections, and we are just waiting for the choice to be approved by the Best Western Design Team.

I understand your surprise about the traffic in Baraboo. I have grown up in this town, and I absolutely love it. I have mixed feelings whenever I notice how much more traffic we have on a regular basis…I am glad to have the added business but not necessarily the added “busy-ness”  Mostly I am just glad there are more people in our area enjoying the town that I love so much. I am sorry that this added traffic took aware from your quiet night rest, but I am happy to tell you that the Highway 12 bypass will exclude our hotel (and cut down on a lot of the Wisconsin Dells traffic) in the next couple of years. I know the first part of construction is done and I think the next part should be done in 2014.

Again, I am so very sorry for not meeting mutual expectations during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us here at the hotel. In telling us what you liked and where we need improvement you are helping us create a better experience for future guests (I hope you are one of those future guests).

If you’d ever like to discuss further your stay with us please feel free to call or email me anytime-
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel since we were in town for a wedding. I will agree with some of the other comments - that yes, there was some funky smells in the stairwells and they had some stained carpeting... BUT, that aside, we had a nice stay. All the staff members we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping promptly delivered towels to our room upon request. The restaurant was also good, and the service was perfect. The food was good too! Overall the room itself was clean and comfortable. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if we're in the area.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room that does not have an adjoining room. One of the nights we were there, the peo...