“Great stay for us!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Wisconsin
“Great stay for us!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

First of all, yes the hall carpeting is stained..but if every hotel in or near the Dells change carpeting every time it got dirty rates would be unaffordable...that being said...Daniel was at front desk when we arrived, very friendly & helpful..the room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Every guest gets vouchers for a free breakfasts at the restaurant connected to the hotel which was very nice. Overall it was a great stay!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you sincerely for sharing your thoughts and impressions from your recent stay with us. I was particularly thankful that you showed an understanding of some of the difficulties we face when it comes to keeping our hotel updated but our rates low! That being said, I am very happy to share that our carpeting replacement has been approved for installation. We still haven’t heard when this will take place, but we are hoping and tentatively planning for November 2012.

I will also be sure to pass along your compliment to Daniel. He truly has a heart meant for serving people, and I am very glad you were able to enjoy his presence at the front desk while you were with us. He will be very happy to hear that he was a positive part of your stay with us!

Also, I want to thank you for sharing our exciting new breakfast format! I am very glad that you enjoyed your breakfast in Bonzos. I don’t know if you were informed when you checked in, but we also offer to go breakfast options as well in case you are ever visiting us and have a busy morning planned. We made this change for two reasons- our previous breakfast room was starting to feel very cramped as we provided more food options for our guests in the morning. Now, with guests being able to choose off of the menu what they’d like we can keep tables open for seating. The second reason is more simple- who doesn’t like being able to get their eggs made how they like them? I am, again, very glad you enjoyed the new format, and I hope you will be back again soon to enjoy it!

If you have any further comments or concerns please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel!

chutchens@mars-llc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Longboat Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had read some of the poor reviews from this summer, but decided to take a chance. It is true that the hall carpets were stained and worn, but our room was bright, clean, fresh smelling. The room was a comfortable size, bed linens clean, easy chair in room, which I always appreciate, the bed was very comfortable, free wifi in the room.
We were in the main part of the hotel over Labor Day weekend, and on Monday it was very crowded.
The breakfast was hot, with scrambled eggs, sausage, sausage gravy and biscuits and pour your own waffles, as well as plenty of pastry, yogurt and fruit. On Sunday, the breakfast room was very crowded, with two women manning the breakfast materials and constantly replenishing everything. We had to wait for an empty table and for the items that had run out. Many people grabbed items and went back to their rooms.
Tuesday, when most guests had left, we were the only ones in the breakfast room and it was very leisurely and plentiful.
Staff was very helpful in suggesting places to eat. They even had menus at the desk. The hotel restaurant was closed on Sunday, and also on Monday because it was Labor Day. While we didn't use the pool, we peeked and it also looked very clean.
We were very happy with our stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the annex second floor unless you can handle stairs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,
I am so glad you were able to visit us in Baraboo, and I am particularly happy to hear you visited Circus World Museum while you were here. Having grown up in Baraboo I take particular joy when our guests visit the local attractions and have a positive experience in our little part of the world.
I want to thank you particularly for sharing your comments about the room you stayed in. I have shown your comments to our housekeeping staff as theirs can be a thankless job, and I know they will be thrilled to know their efforts to provide clean, fresh rooms was noticed and appreciated.
Also, I want to share with you the changes we made after Labor Day to the breakfast provided our guests at the hotel. We just changed our breakfast to being a complimentary cooked-to-order provided in Bonzos, the restaurant attached to our hotel. There is seating for 2-3 times as many people as there was in our previous breakfast room. There is a full breakfast menu to choose from for all of our registered hotel guests. I really, really hope you will come visit us and try the new breakfast. We just started it last week, and so far the feedback has been very positive. I am looking forward to hearing some feedback on the change from our TripAdvisor-active guests.
Lastly, thank you for sharing your appreciation for our front desk staff. I have shared your comments with them, and I know it will encourage them to continue in their enthusiastic service to our guests. We all love Baraboo here at our hotel, and I am so glad we were able to help you enjoy it as well!
If you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. I would love to hear from you!

Belleville, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel more than a few times. I think they are under new management, and it shows. The customer service was the best that i had ever seen. The staff was friendly and inviting. We have never had any problems with the rooms before, but the continue to be clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community, my staff, and myself. I want to assure you that I have passed along your kind words with all departments as I know they will act as a positive encouragement. We here at the Best Western Baraboo Inn have been blessed with a team that truly shares a collective heart for hospitality, and I am so glad to hear this passion was imparted to you during your stay.

Our management team consists primarily of our General Manager, Melissa Lentz, and me, the Sales Manager. Melissa has been here at the hotel for going on 13 years and I have for 5 years. We have both worked full and part time in every department throughout the years, but we both primarily started as front desk clerks. You are correct that there have been recent changes at the hotel- our ownership/upper management changed in February when Mars Hospitality took over. Melissa Lentz has maintained her position of General Manager, and I moved into a dual position of Front Desk and Sales Manager.

Thank you for pointing out the change as it is a significant one, and thank you again for sharing your observations of staff and operation. I hope we will see you again soon in the Baraboo area and I also hope you will enjoy the rest of your summer wherever it takes you!

Front Desk and Sales Manager
West Allis, Wis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have stayed here for the last 10 yrs ! this was the worst ! Bad odor in room, staff was rude, showed no interest when complained about room above us out of control til 1am ! seemed understaffed ! when checking in @ 3 bedding was laying in hallway on both sides so could hardly push luggage cart through ! I won't be back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We find particular value in the feedback we receive from our repeat guests, and I want to thank you for having stayed with us on multiple occasions.
I want to follow this particular appreciation with particular regret. I am very sorry that your most recent stay with us fell below mutual expectations. Thankfully, with the information you provided on your TripAdvisor account I was able to look up the date and information from your stay.
I want to assure you that our front desk staff did document the noise issues your neighbors inflicted on you. Noise complaints are always the most aggravating issues we, as front desk clerks, encounter. It is dreadful to know one guest is affecting another in a negative way, and to know the line we have to walk in accommodating both guests. That being said, our night auditor did document that he called and visited the room that was creating the noise, and he also walked the halls every half hour for 2 hours after your complaint was made to monitor the situation. We had also written a note about possible room-move if the issue persisted.
I have spoken to the heads of each department at the hotel about your comments relating to the staff attitude. I have always taken pride in the warm, friendly atmosphere most of our guests comment on- and I want you to know how very sorry I am that this was not also your experience.
I really hope that as you look back on your stays with us over the past ten years you will see your negative experiences as having been an exception rather than the rule and I hope you will allow the many reasons that have brought you back to us year after year bring you back again. We would all love another chance to serve you next year when you are back in the Baraboo area.
If you have any further comments or concerns I would love to answer them personally. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to further any conversation, and also please know that both our general manager and myself would love to talk with you anytime you are in Baraboo. Please stop in!

I hope you enjoy the colors fall brings to Wisconsin as we head into another wonderful season,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a Sunday through Tuesday. Breakfast was decent nothing great but it was fine. Rooms clean stayed in a king size beds were comfortable. Didn't have any shower towels called room service they had them to our room within minutes excellent service! Would stay again

• Stayed August 2012
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on the TripAdvisor forum. My favorite thing about TripAdvisor, as a manager in the hospitality industry, is that it gives me access to guest interaction and suggestions.

This fall, the week after Labor Day, we are going to be changing our breakfast to be served in Bonzos cooked-to-order. We have compiled a complete breakfast menu and guests will have the option of having breakfast included in their rate or opting for a discount with no breakfast. I am very excited to be offering this option to some of our more economic travelers. I am also anxious to see how it improves the breakfast experience of our guests. I hope you will be back this fall or winter to try the new breakfast.

I am also very glad that you enjoyed the bed you slept on. I know I have shared with other guests in previous replies, but they are Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop mattresses.

Lastly, I want to thank you for the compliment to our front desk. I will be sure to share with them your appreciation for their prompt service. It is always so nice to have guests share the positive aspects of their experience with us!

Have a wonderful rest of your summer. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime,

Swansea, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Staff at this hotel very nice. Beds comfy. Hallway/foyer carpetsfilthy, funny odor. Sheets had old blood stains/body stain on them. Asked for new sheets but they had run out so gave flat sheets/not fitted to lay over the top of the bed. Bathrooms had black mold ringing the knobs and drains of our bathtubs. Black mold inside toilet tank. Caulking dirty. Sink rim/filthy. Carpet in our room/filthy. Tables, lamp shades,curtains/dusty. Hate throw pillows on the beds and a piece of material at the end - nasty!!

Room Tip: Until they clean this place up - do not stay here. The mold alone will scare you away. Too bad for...
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for your honest review of your experience at our hotel. I want to apologize for not meeting mutual expectation while with us. One of the things I appreciate about TripAdvisor is the trust it builds between hotel and guest by way of accountability. There is no incentive for anything other than honesty- and I appreciate that you value that as I do.

I want to thank you for the kind words you shared about our staff. They truly have hearts for hospitality, and I have found kind people with genuine desires to serve a key part of hospitality. Also- always nice in a place where you are looking for a good night’s sleep is a comfy bed. I am glad you found the beds comfortable, and in case you are interested they are Simmons BeautyRest Pillowtop mattresses.

I want to share with you that I agree with the suggestion you have made about replacing our carpeting. I have shared in previous responses about our current plans and timelines to do so. Unfortunately summer is the season we see the most wear-and-tear, and it is also the hardest season to tear apart the hallways without inconveniencing many guests. The carpet is like the skin of a hotel- the largest part of any room. I agree that the age of the carpets currently leave a negative impression, and I hope to have this remedied as soon as possible.

I also want to apologize for the housekeeping issues you encountered while at our hotel. I have spoken with Tina, our head of housekeeping, and the young woman responsible for cleaning your room. I also want to assure you that I’ve spoken to Steve, our head of maintenance, and he has re-caulked and treated the bathroom in the room you stayed in. Our front desk took detailed enough notes about the bedding issue I was able to figure out which room. Thank you for communicating with the desk and myself during and after your stay.

I would very much appreciate if you would contact me at the hotel directly to further discuss your stay with us. I would like to see what I can do to bring you back and give us another opportunity to serve you.
Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime,

wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed one night here. The 1st floor rooms are half below ground. It seemed a little damp and musty. Check-in was very fast. Location was convenient to the Dell's and Devil's Lake.

They have a hot breakfast buffet which was ok. It was very busy and we found the last table. People move though pretty quickly though. Eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, juice, cereal, or make your own waffel which was really good.

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us during your brief stay in Baraboo. I feel that one-night-stays offer an interesting and valuable impression of hotels. I was very interested to read what you shared after I saw your title.

The far end of the first floor in the main wings has about 4 rooms that are built into the hill we are positioned on. Occasionally during the summer we do need to run a dehumidifier in the rooms to help with dampness. Thank you for alerting me to issue you encountered, and I want to assure you that I have asked that these rooms be opened and dehumidified. I am very sorry that there was any mustiness at all as it is something we work to keep an eye (and a nose) on.

Also, I want to thank you for your kind words about the breakfast. There are some changes coming to the menu and set-up, but I think you will enjoy the additional options being offered. I hope you will be back at the hotel in the fall to enjoy the autumnal colors, and the new breakfast menu!

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime if you have further questions, comments, or concerns. Have a fantastic summer!

chutchens@mars-llc.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!