“under new management” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Belleville, Illinois, United States
“under new management”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel more than a few times. I think they are under new management, and it shows. The customer service was the best that i had ever seen. The staff was friendly and inviting. We have never had any problems with the rooms before, but the continue to be clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community, my staff, and myself. I want to assure you that I have passed along your kind words with all departments as I know they will act as a positive encouragement. We here at the Best Western Baraboo Inn have been blessed with a team that truly shares a collective heart for hospitality, and I am so glad to hear this passion was imparted to you during your stay.

Our management team consists primarily of our General Manager, Melissa Lentz, and me, the Sales Manager. Melissa has been here at the hotel for going on 13 years and I have for 5 years. We have both worked full and part time in every department throughout the years, but we both primarily started as front desk clerks. You are correct that there have been recent changes at the hotel- our ownership/upper management changed in February when Mars Hospitality took over. Melissa Lentz has maintained her position of General Manager, and I moved into a dual position of Front Desk and Sales Manager.

Thank you for pointing out the change as it is a significant one, and thank you again for sharing your observations of staff and operation. I hope we will see you again soon in the Baraboo area and I also hope you will enjoy the rest of your summer wherever it takes you!

Front Desk and Sales Manager
chutchens@mars-llc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
West Allis, Wis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have stayed here for the last 10 yrs ! this was the worst ! Bad odor in room, staff was rude, showed no interest when complained about room above us out of control til 1am ! seemed understaffed ! when checking in @ 3 bedding was laying in hallway on both sides so could hardly push luggage cart through ! I won't be back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Christine H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We find particular value in the feedback we receive from our repeat guests, and I want to thank you for having stayed with us on multiple occasions.
I want to follow this particular appreciation with particular regret. I am very sorry that your most recent stay with us fell below mutual expectations. Thankfully, with the information you provided on your TripAdvisor account I was able to look up the date and information from your stay.
I want to assure you that our front desk staff did document the noise issues your neighbors inflicted on you. Noise complaints are always the most aggravating issues we, as front desk clerks, encounter. It is dreadful to know one guest is affecting another in a negative way, and to know the line we have to walk in accommodating both guests. That being said, our night auditor did document that he called and visited the room that was creating the noise, and he also walked the halls every half hour for 2 hours after your complaint was made to monitor the situation. We had also written a note about possible room-move if the issue persisted.
I have spoken to the heads of each department at the hotel about your comments relating to the staff attitude. I have always taken pride in the warm, friendly atmosphere most of our guests comment on- and I want you to know how very sorry I am that this was not also your experience.
I really hope that as you look back on your stays with us over the past ten years you will see your negative experiences as having been an exception rather than the rule and I hope you will allow the many reasons that have brought you back to us year after year bring you back again. We would all love another chance to serve you next year when you are back in the Baraboo area.
If you have any further comments or concerns I would love to answer them personally. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to further any conversation, and also please know that both our general manager and myself would love to talk with you anytime you are in Baraboo. Please stop in!

I hope you enjoy the colors fall brings to Wisconsin as we head into another wonderful season,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a Sunday through Tuesday. Breakfast was decent nothing great but it was fine. Rooms clean stayed in a king size beds were comfortable. Didn't have any shower towels called room service they had them to our room within minutes excellent service! Would stay again

• Stayed August 2012
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on the TripAdvisor forum. My favorite thing about TripAdvisor, as a manager in the hospitality industry, is that it gives me access to guest interaction and suggestions.

This fall, the week after Labor Day, we are going to be changing our breakfast to be served in Bonzos cooked-to-order. We have compiled a complete breakfast menu and guests will have the option of having breakfast included in their rate or opting for a discount with no breakfast. I am very excited to be offering this option to some of our more economic travelers. I am also anxious to see how it improves the breakfast experience of our guests. I hope you will be back this fall or winter to try the new breakfast.

I am also very glad that you enjoyed the bed you slept on. I know I have shared with other guests in previous replies, but they are Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop mattresses.

Lastly, I want to thank you for the compliment to our front desk. I will be sure to share with them your appreciation for their prompt service. It is always so nice to have guests share the positive aspects of their experience with us!

Have a wonderful rest of your summer. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime,

Swansea, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Staff at this hotel very nice. Beds comfy. Hallway/foyer carpetsfilthy, funny odor. Sheets had old blood stains/body stain on them. Asked for new sheets but they had run out so gave flat sheets/not fitted to lay over the top of the bed. Bathrooms had black mold ringing the knobs and drains of our bathtubs. Black mold inside toilet tank. Caulking dirty. Sink rim/filthy. Carpet in our room/filthy. Tables, lamp shades,curtains/dusty. Hate throw pillows on the beds and a piece of material at the end - nasty!!

Room Tip: Until they clean this place up - do not stay here. The mold alone will scare you away. Too bad for...
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for your honest review of your experience at our hotel. I want to apologize for not meeting mutual expectation while with us. One of the things I appreciate about TripAdvisor is the trust it builds between hotel and guest by way of accountability. There is no incentive for anything other than honesty- and I appreciate that you value that as I do.

I want to thank you for the kind words you shared about our staff. They truly have hearts for hospitality, and I have found kind people with genuine desires to serve a key part of hospitality. Also- always nice in a place where you are looking for a good night’s sleep is a comfy bed. I am glad you found the beds comfortable, and in case you are interested they are Simmons BeautyRest Pillowtop mattresses.

I want to share with you that I agree with the suggestion you have made about replacing our carpeting. I have shared in previous responses about our current plans and timelines to do so. Unfortunately summer is the season we see the most wear-and-tear, and it is also the hardest season to tear apart the hallways without inconveniencing many guests. The carpet is like the skin of a hotel- the largest part of any room. I agree that the age of the carpets currently leave a negative impression, and I hope to have this remedied as soon as possible.

I also want to apologize for the housekeeping issues you encountered while at our hotel. I have spoken with Tina, our head of housekeeping, and the young woman responsible for cleaning your room. I also want to assure you that I’ve spoken to Steve, our head of maintenance, and he has re-caulked and treated the bathroom in the room you stayed in. Our front desk took detailed enough notes about the bedding issue I was able to figure out which room. Thank you for communicating with the desk and myself during and after your stay.

I would very much appreciate if you would contact me at the hotel directly to further discuss your stay with us. I would like to see what I can do to bring you back and give us another opportunity to serve you.
Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime,

wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed one night here. The 1st floor rooms are half below ground. It seemed a little damp and musty. Check-in was very fast. Location was convenient to the Dell's and Devil's Lake.

They have a hot breakfast buffet which was ok. It was very busy and we found the last table. People move though pretty quickly though. Eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, juice, cereal, or make your own waffel which was really good.

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us during your brief stay in Baraboo. I feel that one-night-stays offer an interesting and valuable impression of hotels. I was very interested to read what you shared after I saw your title.

The far end of the first floor in the main wings has about 4 rooms that are built into the hill we are positioned on. Occasionally during the summer we do need to run a dehumidifier in the rooms to help with dampness. Thank you for alerting me to issue you encountered, and I want to assure you that I have asked that these rooms be opened and dehumidified. I am very sorry that there was any mustiness at all as it is something we work to keep an eye (and a nose) on.

Also, I want to thank you for your kind words about the breakfast. There are some changes coming to the menu and set-up, but I think you will enjoy the additional options being offered. I hope you will be back at the hotel in the fall to enjoy the autumnal colors, and the new breakfast menu!

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime if you have further questions, comments, or concerns. Have a fantastic summer!

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

As others have indicated, the staff at this property are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the condition of the property doesn't measure up. Our non-smoking room had a definite smoky smell, accompanied by mustiness from dampness. A nearby room had a flooding issue during our stay, and that certainly didn't help. The carpeting throughout the rooms and common spaces were in very bad need of replacement, making it uncomfortable to walk around without shoes.

On the positive side, the management was very accommodating to our family gathering. The location is convenient to Devil's Lake and Wisconsin Dells attractions.

Room Tip: Try for upper floors or the new section.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I have shared your kind words with our staff as well. The summer time brings many faces in our door, and I know the staff has been enjoying meeting and serving…It is extra nice to hear back that their service and attitudes are appreciated!

I want to apologize for the musty/smokey smell you experienced while at the hotel. I have spoken to both the head of maintenance and housekeeping about this issue. I assure you I reminded our head of housekeeping that if they find evidence that a guest has smoked in their room she needs to let our front desk know so we can take that room off market while the odor is eliminated.

I know we had another guest who was on the same floor share their experience about the flooding issue of another guest. I want to apologize that this affected your stay. It is the most frustrating thing we deal with in hospitality- when the behavior of one guest negatively affects another. Again, I apologize sincerely for this incident.

Lastly, thank you for the suggestion for people to try the upper floors in the south wing. These are some of my favorite rooms as they are a little bit larger and are away from the higher traffic areas (lobby, pool, etc.) I do want to take the time to mention thought that the 2nd floor in the south wing doesn’t have an elevator. It is a fantastic choice for a quieter floor, but probably not the best option for persons with mobility issues.

Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed here one night in between visits to the Crane Foundation and the wildlife preserve. We were told our room was in the new wing - I suspect those rooms are better than in the original building. The room was quiet and the room and bathroom were a nice size. However, there is no elevator to the rooms in the new wing and the stairs are steep.
We asked for a restaurant recommendation and were told the hotel's restaurant was good. Wrong! Server was pleasant and comped the worst meal, but I wish I had checked reviews and was prepared to go somewhere else. Breakfast was okay but they ran out of coffee and had to send someone to the store!! Last, the person at checkout barely looked up from her computer and did not ask how our stay was (probably didn't want to hear any more complaints about the coffee!!) If I had it to do over, we would have stayed at another hotel closer to Necedah.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

I am so glad to hear that you were able to visit the International Crane Foundation while in Baraboo! We are so blessed to have such a beautiful and positive organization in our town, and we do our best to promote it at our hotel. Having grown up in Baraboo I sometimes fear I’ve come to take ICF’s presence in our community for granted, but it is very encouraging to know someone traveled to visit and support them.

I want to apologize for the poor experience you had in Bonzos while you with us at our property. Most of the time we in the hotel are very grateful to have a restaurant attached to our property, but when our guests have negative experiences it is always sad to know it bleeds into their perception of the hotel. I want to assure you that I will be speaking with our chef about the problems you encountered. I will also speak to your server and communicate the positive feedback you shared about their service.

We do have two wings in our hotel: the main wing which was built around 1990 and the south wing which was built around 2000. When the second wing was built we did remodel/refinish the main wing; however, the rooms in the south wing were built a little larger. The south wing’s second floor doesn’t have an elevator, and, yes, if guests traveling have difficulty with steps it is very helpful for our front desk staff to know of mobility issues ahead of time. We always do our best to accommodate requests for rooms on the first floor or near an elevator.

I also want to apologize that we temporarily ran out of coffee during breakfast time. We do staff two people in the breakfast room in case something goes faster than anticipated so we have someone to run for replenishment if necessary. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

Thank you so very much for staying with us while visiting the Crane Foundation, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better the next time you are in the Baraboo area. If you’d like to speak further to me about your experience or concerns please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly:

608.356.1100

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!