“One night stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
wisconsin
“One night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed one night here. The 1st floor rooms are half below ground. It seemed a little damp and musty. Check-in was very fast. Location was convenient to the Dell's and Devil's Lake.

They have a hot breakfast buffet which was ok. It was very busy and we found the last table. People move though pretty quickly though. Eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, juice, cereal, or make your own waffel which was really good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us during your brief stay in Baraboo. I feel that one-night-stays offer an interesting and valuable impression of hotels. I was very interested to read what you shared after I saw your title.

The far end of the first floor in the main wings has about 4 rooms that are built into the hill we are positioned on. Occasionally during the summer we do need to run a dehumidifier in the rooms to help with dampness. Thank you for alerting me to issue you encountered, and I want to assure you that I have asked that these rooms be opened and dehumidified. I am very sorry that there was any mustiness at all as it is something we work to keep an eye (and a nose) on.

Also, I want to thank you for your kind words about the breakfast. There are some changes coming to the menu and set-up, but I think you will enjoy the additional options being offered. I hope you will be back at the hotel in the fall to enjoy the autumnal colors, and the new breakfast menu!

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel anytime if you have further questions, comments, or concerns. Have a fantastic summer!

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

As others have indicated, the staff at this property are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the condition of the property doesn't measure up. Our non-smoking room had a definite smoky smell, accompanied by mustiness from dampness. A nearby room had a flooding issue during our stay, and that certainly didn't help. The carpeting throughout the rooms and common spaces were in very bad need of replacement, making it uncomfortable to walk around without shoes.

On the positive side, the management was very accommodating to our family gathering. The location is convenient to Devil's Lake and Wisconsin Dells attractions.

Room Tip: Try for upper floors or the new section.
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I have shared your kind words with our staff as well. The summer time brings many faces in our door, and I know the staff has been enjoying meeting and serving…It is extra nice to hear back that their service and attitudes are appreciated!

I want to apologize for the musty/smokey smell you experienced while at the hotel. I have spoken to both the head of maintenance and housekeeping about this issue. I assure you I reminded our head of housekeeping that if they find evidence that a guest has smoked in their room she needs to let our front desk know so we can take that room off market while the odor is eliminated.

I know we had another guest who was on the same floor share their experience about the flooding issue of another guest. I want to apologize that this affected your stay. It is the most frustrating thing we deal with in hospitality- when the behavior of one guest negatively affects another. Again, I apologize sincerely for this incident.

Lastly, thank you for the suggestion for people to try the upper floors in the south wing. These are some of my favorite rooms as they are a little bit larger and are away from the higher traffic areas (lobby, pool, etc.) I do want to take the time to mention thought that the 2nd floor in the south wing doesn’t have an elevator. It is a fantastic choice for a quieter floor, but probably not the best option for persons with mobility issues.

Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed here one night in between visits to the Crane Foundation and the wildlife preserve. We were told our room was in the new wing - I suspect those rooms are better than in the original building. The room was quiet and the room and bathroom were a nice size. However, there is no elevator to the rooms in the new wing and the stairs are steep.
We asked for a restaurant recommendation and were told the hotel's restaurant was good. Wrong! Server was pleasant and comped the worst meal, but I wish I had checked reviews and was prepared to go somewhere else. Breakfast was okay but they ran out of coffee and had to send someone to the store!! Last, the person at checkout barely looked up from her computer and did not ask how our stay was (probably didn't want to hear any more complaints about the coffee!!) If I had it to do over, we would have stayed at another hotel closer to Necedah.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

I am so glad to hear that you were able to visit the International Crane Foundation while in Baraboo! We are so blessed to have such a beautiful and positive organization in our town, and we do our best to promote it at our hotel. Having grown up in Baraboo I sometimes fear I’ve come to take ICF’s presence in our community for granted, but it is very encouraging to know someone traveled to visit and support them.

I want to apologize for the poor experience you had in Bonzos while you with us at our property. Most of the time we in the hotel are very grateful to have a restaurant attached to our property, but when our guests have negative experiences it is always sad to know it bleeds into their perception of the hotel. I want to assure you that I will be speaking with our chef about the problems you encountered. I will also speak to your server and communicate the positive feedback you shared about their service.

We do have two wings in our hotel: the main wing which was built around 1990 and the south wing which was built around 2000. When the second wing was built we did remodel/refinish the main wing; however, the rooms in the south wing were built a little larger. The south wing’s second floor doesn’t have an elevator, and, yes, if guests traveling have difficulty with steps it is very helpful for our front desk staff to know of mobility issues ahead of time. We always do our best to accommodate requests for rooms on the first floor or near an elevator.

I also want to apologize that we temporarily ran out of coffee during breakfast time. We do staff two people in the breakfast room in case something goes faster than anticipated so we have someone to run for replenishment if necessary. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

Thank you so very much for staying with us while visiting the Crane Foundation, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better the next time you are in the Baraboo area. If you’d like to speak further to me about your experience or concerns please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly:

Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel about a month ago. After a long day of hiking we looked forward to relaxing for the evening. However, we were not impressed with our room. It was hot, the air conditioning was poor, and the room seemed very uncleaned. After giving it great consideration, we decided that we could not stay somewhere where we did not feel comfortable. The gentlemen at the desk was very accomadating, even offered to clean the room himself!..... If you are looking for an updated, clean, more modern hotel I would advise to look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for great customer service, the staff made the atmosphere very friendly. Wish our expereince could have been different.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Recent Guest,

One of my favorite things about the continuing development of social media is the connection it has given me to our guests. In hospitality one of the biggest challenges is deciding where priorities need to be placed and where to allocate money within our budget. Having guests who will take the time (and having venues like TripAdvisor) to share their impressions, concerns, and suggestions is invaluable as we set our goals and priorities.

I want to thank you for the kind words you shared about our staff. I know we are incredibly fortunate to have the people working together that we do. It is unfortunate that you didn’t find the level of service matched the accommodations, but we are working towards those two aspects of guests’ stays matching each other in quality.

I want to assure you that we at our hotel agree that there are some aesthetic changes that need to take place. I want to assure you that steps have been and are being taken to get these updates done when the busy summer season slows down. We have made selections for new shears in the room, carpeting throughout the hotel, and are steadily purchasing new flat screen televisions for the rooms still in need of them. Last summer we updated the bedding in all of the rooms (you can see the difference between the photos posted here on Trip Advisor). We also began the process of updating the televisions, and we knew it would be an as-afforded update. I am glad we will be finishing that project this fall.

If there are any additional things you can think of that you think would help improve the general feel of the hotel please let me know! I personally think the updated carpet will make a huge difference, but we always appreciate guest-specific input. Contact me anytime with your suggestions!

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Rooms are old and musty. Our stay was unpleasant because of the floodinging I told the front desk and they said OKAY we will look into it. The rest of the day we stayed out of the romm and at night we slept there and checked out the next day. My duffle bag was wet and we could not hang up our clothes. I laid towels on tbhe floor so that we could walk to the bathroom. The hotel was full and no other room was offered to us. The front desk did not seem to care about our discomfort and since we are older I did not have to worry about children walking on the wet rug. My clothes were damp and the room was very musty and this was not the first time this has happened on the first floor. The room next door was vacated and we checked out the next day. They compensated me with a $20.00 discount on the room, We should not have paid for that night. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not go to this Best Western
Donna,

I want to apologize for the water issue you encountered while with us at the hotel. It was an incredibly unfortunate event that our staff had to (and still is) dealing with. I have been at this hotel for 5 years, and I have never before had a guest flood their room as your neighbors did. One of the most frustrating parts of the hospitality industry is trying to compensate when one guest’s behavior affects the experience of another. Occasionally the behavior of one individual does affect those around them, and in these situations we have to work harder to try and improve a bad situation.

Unfortunately we did not become aware that the room next to yours had left their tub running through the night until we were informed by neighboring rooms. Immediately upon gaining this information we did use our carpet cleaner to remove the water that had traveled into the hallway. I am so sorry this wasn’t soon enough. I know Melissa Lentz, our general manager, was called in to help contain the spill (so-to-speak). I also know she did well to documents the couple of feet the water had traveled under your door, and that she was involved in the monetary compensation you did receive for your troubles.

I am concerned that you weren’t able to hang your clothes or to use our laundry facilities (on 3rd floor) to dry any of your items. I would appreciate it if we could continue this conversation as I would like to know if there weren’t sufficient hangers on the rack in your room, etc. Please feel free to contact me or our general manager anytime at the hotel.

chutchens@mars-llc.com
or mlentz@mars-llc.com (Melissa Lentz, General Manager)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We got a king suites with ripped couch, things on the bed, moldy areas in bathroom, and nail polish around the room. Also cigarette ashes all over on AC unit. Bad smell of smoke. The manager was great and got full refund. The picture when I reserved online is different then room.

• Stayed July 2012
We are very grateful that you've taken the time to share your experience and concerns with us. I am also very grateful that despite some of the negative aspects of your stay you were kind enough to share the positive experience you had in your contact with our staff, particularly our General Manager, Melissa.

Melissa has, in the time that I've known her, shown herself to be hard worker constantly driven to provide superior customer service to our guests. I am very glad she was here to help address the issues you had, and that she saw fit to compensate you for the inconveniences.

I assure you that after Melissa helped in your situation she did speak to the heads of the departements necessary in making sure these isssues were addressed immediately.

If you would like to speak further or have additional comments or concerns please feel free to contact either Melissa or myself directly at the hotel,

and/or
Melissa Lentz
mlentz@mars-llc.com
Lake Zurich, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The staff is WONDERFUL, the rooms are clean, and the breakfast had many cold and hot options. Good location with many things within walking distance. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I am so glad for your response, and I want to thank you for taking the time to share the highlights of your stay with us. I will be sure to share your individual comments with our front desk and housekeeping staff members. It is always so nice when compliments are paid to more than one department.

Also, thank you for your compliment about our breakfast. We regularly ask our guests if there are items they would like to see added to or removed from the breakfast, and I am glad to know we are working well to keep many options available. We will be making some menu changes again this fall, and I hope you will be back in the area to let us know what you think about the updates.

Baraboo is a wonderful community, and I hope your ventures in our town were well enjoyed. I am glad our location was helpful and convenient. If you have any further comments or questions please feel free to contact me directly,

Best Western Baraboo Inn
608.356.1100

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!