“Very outdated, poor experience, but great customer service.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Baraboo
Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
“Very outdated, poor experience, but great customer service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel about a month ago. After a long day of hiking we looked forward to relaxing for the evening. However, we were not impressed with our room. It was hot, the air conditioning was poor, and the room seemed very uncleaned. After giving it great consideration, we decided that we could not stay somewhere where we did not feel comfortable. The gentlemen at the desk was very accomadating, even offered to clean the room himself!..... If you are looking for an updated, clean, more modern hotel I would advise to look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for great customer service, the staff made the atmosphere very friendly. Wish our expereince could have been different.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Recent Guest,

One of my favorite things about the continuing development of social media is the connection it has given me to our guests. In hospitality one of the biggest challenges is deciding where priorities need to be placed and where to allocate money within our budget. Having guests who will take the time (and having venues like TripAdvisor) to share their impressions, concerns, and suggestions is invaluable as we set our goals and priorities.

I want to thank you for the kind words you shared about our staff. I know we are incredibly fortunate to have the people working together that we do. It is unfortunate that you didn’t find the level of service matched the accommodations, but we are working towards those two aspects of guests’ stays matching each other in quality.

I want to assure you that we at our hotel agree that there are some aesthetic changes that need to take place. I want to assure you that steps have been and are being taken to get these updates done when the busy summer season slows down. We have made selections for new shears in the room, carpeting throughout the hotel, and are steadily purchasing new flat screen televisions for the rooms still in need of them. Last summer we updated the bedding in all of the rooms (you can see the difference between the photos posted here on Trip Advisor). We also began the process of updating the televisions, and we knew it would be an as-afforded update. I am glad we will be finishing that project this fall.

If there are any additional things you can think of that you think would help improve the general feel of the hotel please let me know! I personally think the updated carpet will make a huge difference, but we always appreciate guest-specific input. Contact me anytime with your suggestions!

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Rooms are old and musty. Our stay was unpleasant because of the floodinging I told the front desk and they said OKAY we will look into it. The rest of the day we stayed out of the romm and at night we slept there and checked out the next day. My duffle bag was wet and we could not hang up our clothes. I laid towels on tbhe floor so that we could walk to the bathroom. The hotel was full and no other room was offered to us. The front desk did not seem to care about our discomfort and since we are older I did not have to worry about children walking on the wet rug. My clothes were damp and the room was very musty and this was not the first time this has happened on the first floor. The room next door was vacated and we checked out the next day. They compensated me with a $20.00 discount on the room, We should not have paid for that night. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not go to this Best Western
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Donna,

I want to apologize for the water issue you encountered while with us at the hotel. It was an incredibly unfortunate event that our staff had to (and still is) dealing with. I have been at this hotel for 5 years, and I have never before had a guest flood their room as your neighbors did. One of the most frustrating parts of the hospitality industry is trying to compensate when one guest’s behavior affects the experience of another. Occasionally the behavior of one individual does affect those around them, and in these situations we have to work harder to try and improve a bad situation.

Unfortunately we did not become aware that the room next to yours had left their tub running through the night until we were informed by neighboring rooms. Immediately upon gaining this information we did use our carpet cleaner to remove the water that had traveled into the hallway. I am so sorry this wasn’t soon enough. I know Melissa Lentz, our general manager, was called in to help contain the spill (so-to-speak). I also know she did well to documents the couple of feet the water had traveled under your door, and that she was involved in the monetary compensation you did receive for your troubles.

I am concerned that you weren’t able to hang your clothes or to use our laundry facilities (on 3rd floor) to dry any of your items. I would appreciate it if we could continue this conversation as I would like to know if there weren’t sufficient hangers on the rack in your room, etc. Please feel free to contact me or our general manager anytime at the hotel.

chutchens@mars-llc.com
or mlentz@mars-llc.com (Melissa Lentz, General Manager)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We got a king suites with ripped couch, things on the bed, moldy areas in bathroom, and nail polish around the room. Also cigarette ashes all over on AC unit. Bad smell of smoke. The manager was great and got full refund. The picture when I reserved online is different then room.

• Stayed July 2012
We are very grateful that you've taken the time to share your experience and concerns with us. I am also very grateful that despite some of the negative aspects of your stay you were kind enough to share the positive experience you had in your contact with our staff, particularly our General Manager, Melissa.

Melissa has, in the time that I've known her, shown herself to be hard worker constantly driven to provide superior customer service to our guests. I am very glad she was here to help address the issues you had, and that she saw fit to compensate you for the inconveniences.

I assure you that after Melissa helped in your situation she did speak to the heads of the departements necessary in making sure these isssues were addressed immediately.

If you would like to speak further or have additional comments or concerns please feel free to contact either Melissa or myself directly at the hotel,

and/or
Melissa Lentz
mlentz@mars-llc.com
Lake Zurich, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The staff is WONDERFUL, the rooms are clean, and the breakfast had many cold and hot options. Good location with many things within walking distance. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012
Christine H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I am so glad for your response, and I want to thank you for taking the time to share the highlights of your stay with us. I will be sure to share your individual comments with our front desk and housekeeping staff members. It is always so nice when compliments are paid to more than one department.

Also, thank you for your compliment about our breakfast. We regularly ask our guests if there are items they would like to see added to or removed from the breakfast, and I am glad to know we are working well to keep many options available. We will be making some menu changes again this fall, and I hope you will be back in the area to let us know what you think about the updates.

Baraboo is a wonderful community, and I hope your ventures in our town were well enjoyed. I am glad our location was helpful and convenient. If you have any further comments or questions please feel free to contact me directly,

Best Western Baraboo Inn
Princeton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We recently stayed here for four nights. Check-in was fast and Daniel at the front desk was very helpful with suggestions on attractions to go to and several good restaurants to try. He spent alot of time with us and it made our stay that much more enjoyable with all of his helpful suggestions. The room was clean and the mattress was very comfortable. Shortly after checking in we discovered our refrigerator was not working. We called the front desk and within five minutes, Daniel was at our door with a replacement. Breakfast was good with several hot and cold selections. All the staff members we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The only thing we would suggest is that the drapes need to be replaced. The backing had deteriorated in several spots and let light in at night, but that was the only thing we would change. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I want to thank you for your review of our hotel, your kind words about our staff, and the suggestion you shared with us.

We have been blessed with a staff that shares a collective heart for hospitality, and I am so glad we were able to share that with you while you were visiting Baraboo. I know most of our staff regularly views our Trip Advisor page to keep up with what we are doing well and what we need to work on, but I will be sharing your compliments with everyone as I know it will be a great encouragement.

Also, I want to assure you we are in process of replacing the sheers/curtains in our guest rooms. Our General Manager and Head of Housekeeping are heading up this phase of improvement, but I know for sure they have had them all measured and we've been receiving samples in the mail. We still have to make our final decisions on the replacements, but they are will be replaced by the end of the summer.

Again, I want to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Baraboo area!

Sales Manager at Best Western Baraboo Inn
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We liked this Best Western. Great staff, modern rooms, sparkling clean. My one beef was that they were doing repairs on the pool for five days and didn't put that on their website ahead of time. Had we stayed more than one night, the nine-year old with us would have been very disappointed.

A big plus was the uber-great pillow top mattress, very nice after a twelve hour drive!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
I want to thank you so very much for sharing your experience at our hotel. I always share any feedback we get on TripAdvisor with our staff, and everyone was very encouraged by your kind words of affirmation.

I contacted Best Western on Thursday, July 5th, asking them to post the pool closure. It was online by Saturday the 7th...Unfortuneatly it doesn't notify guests until they continue to the booking page. I understand this isn't helpful to guests who are just looking at information on the website but not actually booking their reservation online. It is a date specifc closure, and it only notifies people who would be affected. I am very sorry for this unpleasant surprise, and I hope your 9-year-old wasn't too terribly disappointed!

I also want to assure you that this will be our only scheduled pool closure for the summer. We were adhereing to some government-mandated safety updates to our pool drains.

Thank you again for your candid remarks. If there is anything I can do in the future to be of assistance please contact me at the hotel directly,

Melissa Lentz
bestwestern@baraboo.com
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

I call in about 30 min before hand telling the person (Brenda) we will be late check in. She sounded in a rush and hung up right away. When we got there, we waited about 10 min at the front desk, along with other guests. I called the hotel 3 times to see if they would hear it. Eventually someone from the restaurant (connected to the hotel) had to come and tell us he will find someone. Our clerk was Brenda. She did apologize once though. Overall, never coming here again. Room is nothing if service is worse than low.

• Stayed July 2012
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
I want to thank you for your honest feedback about your recent stay with us here in Baraboo. It is guest feedback like yours that enables to know where and what we need to improve upon in order to make stays for future guests more comfortable and enjoyable.

I want to apologize, sincerely, for the delay you experienced on the phone and at check in. I want to assure you that I have spoken to the clerk working the evening you checked in, and have revisited the importance of priority and guest satisfaction. She has a history of positive guest interaction, and I have full confidence that she will take your comments and improve upon her performance.

Front desk clerks face the task of being a jack of all trades who must attend to past, present, and future guests. This can be daunting and draining duty at times; however, we do train our clerks to take their job in stride and to try and keep the stress of the situation in their smile and not in their voice. I am sorry that the urgency of the holiday week shown through in the phone call you made to the hotel.

It is always important that we in and outside of the hospitality industry put ourselves in each other's shoes. We here at the Baraboo Inn try our very best to live up to the Golden Rule and treat others how we would like to be treated. I hope that you will come back to visit us and afford us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. I completely agree and appreciate that the human interaction we have in our lives, be it at home or at hotel, is the most important part of any day.

If you have any further comments, questions, or concerns I ask that you please contact me directly as I would be happy to answer and/or hear what is on your mind.

Sales and Front Desk Manager
bestwesternsales@baraboo.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!