“Lousy service two times” 1 of 5 stars

608-356-7707
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Lousy service two times”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband and I had boycotted Hooty's for several years because we had a poor service experience in the past. Against our better judgement, we decided to give Hooty's another try.

We arrived in mid afternoon, and the restaurant was empty. We sat at the bar, and a woman waited on us and served us our beverages. We asked for menus, which she provided. The woman went to the end of the bar and began helping her child with homework for about 15 minutes. Then she started packing up her child's things, and gathering her own belongings. She never came back to take our order, nor did she tell the next shift person that we were interested in eating. After she left, I asked the new staff member who the woman was. He indicated that she was the owner's wife. So.....that explains a lot. The "standard" is set by the owner. Won't go back.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Round Lake, Illinois
“Very Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Just wanted to add to ajweb5's comments of our dining experience on 9-27-2011. I am not sure why there was a HUGE difference in attitude between our visit there in August and our visit in September. We absolutely loved our experience in August, in fact, the SAME manager/bartender we spoke with couldn't have been more helpful, friendly & accomodating in August - totally opposite in September! We brought friends wtih us for dinner & I was highly embarrassed at the quality of the food. My friend is not one to make a scene, however, and just decided to let it go as a bad experience. BUT, when the manager approaches you after the meal and you decide to express your dissatisfaction, you most certainly DO NOT want to hear a response such as " Really? We've never heard this before - everyone is happy with their food." Well, there is a first time for everything and at a minimum my friend should have received an apology - she didn't ask for a refund or discount - but a good manager would have at least offered to do SOMETHING! Between the 4 of us we spent close to $150 for our meals & drinks - which is not a problem if you get a good meal. Just remember, word of mouth goes a LONG way.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Suburb Of Chicago
“PASS ON THIS PLACE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had lunch about 2 months ago and enjoyed the meal so we decided to try the dinner-big mistake-Food was not prepared and cold-only one waitress and she was extremely busy. To make matters worse as we were leaving the bartender/manager/greeter asked "how was your meal" when advised it was not cooked and we were disappointed he casually stated " i find that hard to believe" we never have complaints. He then walked away.... If you don't care then why ask- We will not return as they are a lot better places-

Try- Rivers Edge Pub and Grub, Cimarolis, The Log Cabin, or Quindts-they are all better.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor Member
“We ate at the bar while watching football...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010 via mobile

We ate at the bar while watching football on a Sunday around 5:00 pm. We ordered two sandwiches. The prime rib was burned and dry while the fish was mushy and difficult to locate in the bun. Our french fries were soggy and limp. The bartender was not capable of doing his job! Overall, a terrible experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Big Bend, WI
“Solid Steak House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

We went to Hooty's on a Friday at about 4pm. My wife had the AUCE fish fry which was excellent. I had the prime rib which was very very good. My friend had the sirloin which was good and my other friend had the chicken strips meal which wasnt so good. She thought it was clearly pre-frozen and pre-breaded. My prime rib was awesome though. It was a bit fatty however. The beer selection is excellent and I especially liked the Hooty's Rockin' Ale house beer. This place remains a solid eatery in baraboo and is very consistent.