“Tasty food and excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Baraboo, Wisconsin
“Tasty food and excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My first experience at Jose's was picking up some take-out.

I forget what day of the week it was, but the place was packed, and all the servers were running around like mad. I asked if I could sit at the bar and have a beer while I decided what I wanted. He (Jose himself) gave me a Pacifico and a menu and told me he'd be right back. A few minutes pass, and as he's carrying some dirty plates to the kitchen, he stops to let me know it'll be just another second. Like I said, it was bedlam in there, and it took him awhile to get back to me, so he cracked open another beer, assured me that it was on him, took my order, and then rushed off to help the others. I've been in the restaurant industry, serving and bartending, for over ten years, and these little things (especially when done by the guy whose name is on the door) such as letting me know that he hasn't forgotten me, not to mention the free beer, make a huge difference. Got the food home, and the wife and I loved it.

If you're in Baraboo, and have a taste for Mexican, give this place a shot.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

WI
“Very good and service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We were visiting the area and an ad came across facebook saying this restaurant got an award for best ethnic food that was enough to send us on a journey to find it! We got there at 11:30am for lunch on a friday and there was nobody there which made my husband very nervous, I made him go in anyway and thank goodness because 5 min later this placed was packed! The server was very friendly and attentive, margaritas were great and the food arrived promptly. We adore mexican food as my husband grew up in Mexico and we are always seeking out the best, we did not find this to be over the top awesome but it was definately as good as any other of our favorites. The menu was big but not as varietied as some of our favorites, I was kind of disappointed that there was not a fish option, fish tacos are my favorite and although they were mentioned by a previous reviewer they were not on the menu, so not sure if that was just a nighty special or what. I chose shrimp diablo and my husband had steak fajitas(lunch size), looked more like dinner size to me! Its kind of off the main drag of which we usually travel to this area but if I had a desire for good mexican I would make the trip again, I certainly cant name another mexican restaurant in THIS area that would compare.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Tacos de Pescados!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Perfect change up for a Friday night fish fry.... Fish Tacos! Tacos de pescados and all the fixins... great value very friendly attentive service! Two person bar makes for a very private date night anynight! 2 4 1 Margs a couple days a week.... I can't remember what days specifically but I know I will be back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Great Mexican Fare In Rural WI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This past weekend we were staying at a B&B in Baraboo, WI and the hosts recommended that we try Jose's. The fod was very good and was a terrific value. We would recommend getting there early since it rapidly fills up with local town people.

Visited October 2013
Milwaukee
“Great food in a friendly setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We chose this restaurant after a day of hiking, and it was excellent. It was a Sunday night and there was a steady flow of customers the whole time we were there. The service is very friendly, and the menu is quite broad. My wife had the enchilada, which were quite good. I had the spicy shrimp diavlo, which was excellent, and nice and spicy. The decor is comfortable, and nothing fancy, but it was an all around good and filling meal.

• Visited September 2013