“Great food in a friendly setting.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Milwaukee
“Great food in a friendly setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We chose this restaurant after a day of hiking, and it was excellent. It was a Sunday night and there was a steady flow of customers the whole time we were there. The service is very friendly, and the menu is quite broad. My wife had the enchilada, which were quite good. I had the spicy shrimp diavlo, which was excellent, and nice and spicy. The decor is comfortable, and nothing fancy, but it was an all around good and filling meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Central Wisconsin
“Solid Mexican restaurant with delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

It is encouraging to see such a good locally-owned restaurant in a small town like Baraboo. Jose's opened in spring 2012. I ate dinner there on two successive Saturdays in October 2013 (I live 90 minutes away, just happened to be in the area both times). There is an extensive menu of standard Mexican dishes, all freshly prepared. I had a big chicken burrito ("Don Burrito") and 3 chicken enchiladas ("Yolandas") for the 2 dinners. Both were excellent. The portions were ample - both times I took home enough for the next night's dinner (big eaters will probably finish it all in one sitting). The accompanying guacamole was really good, probably worth ordering as a side. I didn't have any alcoholic drinks; they looked enormous and very popular. Prices are cheap for what you get: for $12-$14 including generous tip you can have a filling delicious meal with beverage (free soft drink refills) and have some left over for the next day's lunch -- makes me wonder why anyone would go to a fast food restaurant when a place like this is around.

Service: generally excellent, very fast and very friendly and relaxed, and attentive. You feel genuinely welcome. Both dinners were at the prime busy time: 7 pm Saturday. The first week I ate alone, was seated immediately, and service was impressively fast. The second week I was with my wife and 2 friends; we unfortunately hit the local Homecoming, so the place was full and we had to wait 10 minutes for a table, still not bad. Service was a bit slower. The first week the basket of delicious tortilla chips arrived hot from the oven (really good); the second week they were unfortunately room temperature and less appealing (though still good). In one other service glitch, my wife (a vegetarian) ordered a vegetarian enchilada, but was served one with ground beef. It was returned to the kitchen cheerfully and quickly replaced.

Atmosphere: from the outside this restaurant is nothing special. Inside it is relaxed with appropriate Mexican décor. Booths are more comfortable and private than tables. The location is on the main highway in town, convenient to Circus World and Devils Lake State Park.

Qualification: this is not a place for vegetarians (my wife didn't care for it). They don't have much to offer, characteristic of the cuisine. My wife ended up with a plain refried bean tortilla, not that appealing. Non-vegetarians won't have any such problem, of course; both of my friends like their dinners too on the 2nd visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“New favorite restaurant in Baraboo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

What a friendly place! The wait staff were incredible. The fajita's my wife and I shared were fantastic and the chips and salsa were to die for. A local business person recommended the restaurant to us and we were extremely pleased to eat there. They were busy but they gave us excellent service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
“Great Atmosphere! Festive and friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Fajita del mar was very good, shrimp slightly overdone but that's not a complaint...I ate it all! Jose takes an active roll In setting the atmosphere, so let him entertain you. Service was spot on, I had to ask for a table setting and the waiter literally ran to get one and apologized for my wait. I WILL REFER EVERYONE I KNOW....

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Elgin, Il
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Try the Fajita Salad! It was great!
Nice small restaurant in Baraboo. The food was great, and all of our children liked it.

Visited September 2013