“Warm and smoky” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 19 attractions in Baraboo
Type: Casinos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Popular gambling center features more than 1,700 slot machines, 48 blackjack tables and high-stakes bingo.
Minneapolis, MN
11 attraction reviews
“Warm and smoky”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's always fun to stop and play. This trip seemed very warm and was pretty smoky. Their players club lines are WAY too long.

Franklin, Wisconsin
“Great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I went up Friday afternoon from Milwaukee and spent the afternoon and evening gambling. It was fun because I would win some and lose some. It wasn't all losing. Usually I don't win but I always have fun. I did win a small jackpot at the end of the evening which was nice. I was amazed at how fast the attendant came over. Earlier when a machine I was playing tilted, they were there immediately. Totally impressed. At Potowatomi in Milwaukee you wait forever. The only thing negative was that I saw no one come around for drink orders. They do, however, have a couple of soda machines that you can help yourself to which does save on having to tip them. Casino is very clean including the bathrooms. Even though I was in the smoking section, I wasn't bothered by it. Hotel room was nice and clean and the woman who helped me check in was very polite and even let me check in 15 minutes early. The food is okay but nothing to brag about. I ate in the cafe in the casino.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Hit or miss, but not bad.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We’re form MN staying at the dells and decided to eat at Ho Chunk Casino Standrock buffet Crab and steak night Saturday. The staff was great, polite and friendly. Price was $22 per adult, kids 3 and under eats free, so the price was decent just like most casino buffet in MN that I’ve been to. Saturday night opens at 5pm to 10pm, so when we got there at 5pm the line was very long, twice as long as Mystic Lake Casino on Wednesday seafood night in Prior Lake, MN. I told myself, we probably won’t get to eat until 8pm, but I was wrong. The line move quickly and we were seated around 5:40pm.

The food was a hit and miss, just like every buffet I can think of. The goods were the crab legs, steak, pork ribs, fried shrimp, the desert, fruits and salads. The okay to bad were the fried chicken, roast chicken, pizza and a few other meat item that I forget the name. The waitress and or waiters are very polite, friendly and did their job well.

Overall, it’s not the best buffet, but then again is there a great buffet? Buffet is always a hit or miss with the food, some are great and some are not so great. Also, it also depends on individual taste. My family had a great time and that is what matter most to me. I don’t gamble so I really don’t know much about the gambling part of the casino. If we were at the dells again in the future, we would come back for the Standrock buffet.

Cottage Grove, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
“Fun! More fun if you win.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I gave a more in depth review on trip advisor. This is a fun place to visit and gives adults staying in the area on family trips a little different something to do.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
30 attraction reviews
“Smokey But Has and All-You-Can-Eat Buffet and Free Shuttle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The membership card wasn't explained well, and I had to ask 3 times to understand it right. I'm not sure if they had literature on it, but that would have been extremely helpful. It was recommended to me to get it to get a discount on food - I would recommend this as well, because the membership card is free. There are drawings that you can qualify for when you use your membership card and rack up points - though this is the whole part I'm fuzzy on still.

The casino is pretty smokey. Coming from Minnesota, I had forgotten what this is like, smoking indoors in public places is prohibited in Minnesota. Luckily the buffet gave me a break from this. The buffet wasn't the est buffet I had ever had, but it was worth the $12 I dished out for it. Especially since there was a huge variety of meat - chef cut beef, 4 kinds of fried fish (Friday in Wisconsin), 2 kinds of non-fried fish, pork with gravy, shrimp, and fried chicken. I really was missing cooked veggies though - there wasn't a good selection. I had myself a salad, even though I would have preferred cooked veggies. They did have cheese cake though, and several other kinds of deserts.

Getting back to the casino. I played the slots. You have to watch the machines and what they say the minimum bet button is. They have penny slots, and on some machines you can play one slot at a time, but they also have machines where your minimum bet is 40 lines. - To me that's a 40-cent machine, not a penny slot. All of the machines spit out vouchers. I think you are more likely to play it all if you have a voucher and the slot doesn't spit out coins, so this isn't really my kind of casino - I like the coins.

The biggest plus is that there is a free shuttle that will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the casino - you just have your hotel call for you, and be ready when they arrive.

Visited April 2013