“Pizza lovers get in line!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hamburgers
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Merrimac, Wisconsin
“Pizza lovers get in line!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Gem City is a friendly clean bar with a terrific selection of bottled and draft beers. A group of us went there on a Saturday afternoon to watch the Badgers play Ohio State in Basketball, have a few beers and a bite to eat. Well, let me tell you, we were very happy with everything except the results of the game. Gem City has HD TV's all over the place but their giant HD TV was simply the greatest! Our group was able to relax and spread out yet everyone had "the best seat in the house!" But the pizza, I have to tell you about the pizza! Not only was it one of the best we've ever had, it was also plentiful. We ordered a large thick crust pizza and six of us had all we could eat with a couple of left over pieces! Great prices, great pizza great fun.
We'll be back!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Madison, Wisconsin
“BAR A BOO PIZZA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great friendly place to watch a game, meet friends, have a drink and have one of my favorite thick
crust pizzas.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baraboo, Wisconsin
“Great Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I typically order To-go Pizzas from this Bar about every other week. Their thick crust pizzas are out of this world tasty..(I recommend Extra Sauce and Extra Cheese though). The Inside of the Bar seems Spacious, Clean, and Attractive, I don't go to bars frequently, but this one seems inviting.

Visited June 2012
El Paso, Illinois
“Nachos, Great Drinks and Folks Willing to Share...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stopped by Gem City on a Monday night after hearing that Baraboo actually had a spot offering great pizza and nachos that were beyond good. On the way in we were set for nachos. We'd heard they were house made, crispy, wafer thin, and loaded with goodies. However, once we arrived we saw two pizzas being delivered to the table next door. Oh, My Gosh, they looked and smelled delicious. We, my friend and I are Chicagoans. We are hard core pizza eaters believing that if you don't eat pizza weekly you are being deprived. So now we have a tough decision to make. We are eying the pizza at the table next door- a couple with their son. They actually have two pizzas, once is the vegetarian, the other loaded with meat. Both look great. The wife, noticing that we are eying her food says, "Yes, it's as good as it looks."
The husband says, "We heard about the pizza here and decided to try it. It's great and look at the size of it. We started with the nachos. You wouldn't believe those. They are huge and terrific."
Hm, dilema! Pizza, nachos, pizza, nachos. As we are talking, our neighboring table asks, "Do you want to try a slice of ours?"
Are these people nice or what? We'd heard mention of additional children waiting at home for the remains of the pizza so we take a pass on tasting their pizza and do a bit more thinking.

Ah solution. order the nachos first. Half way through we will order a pizza to take home for breakfast. We are problem solvers!
We settle on the chicken nachos which are piled with a spicy chicken, olives, cheese, salsa, and come with a side of pickled jalapeño peppers. They are every thing we were promised. Our waitress checks on us to make sure we are happy. Oh yes.
Who wouldn't be happy? The drinks are terrific, large and well made. The nachos are great. The customers are beyond friendly, and we still have a pizza coming!
Gem City is definitely worth a visit for pizza, nachos, drinks, and the locals.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Merrimac, Wisconsin
“Fun spot in Baraboo plus good pizza.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

As a "hooked on Chicago Pizza" person, when a local told me that this was the best pizza place in Wisconsin I was skeptical. Surprise, the best pizza in Wisconsin is in Baraboo! That said, I believe the pizza is not their best thing, it is the third. Number one is their home made deep fried nachos. Can not be beat anywhere. Tops. Fantastic. What else can be said. Number two is their tough looking, narley, crew cut bartender. His bark is worse than his bite and he is capable of serving the best drinks and has a passion for making you want to come back. Sadly he was not there when I sent my friends to the Gem City Saloon. Dang, they will just have to go back and invite me.

• Visited June 2012