“Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel and Convention Center

You added Clarion Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   626 West Pine Street, Baraboo, WI 53913 (Formerly Park Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Baraboo
Janesville, WI
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very conveniently located, just a short drive from Wisconsin Dells. Staff were all very friendly and the information handed out at check in was very thorough. Easy access to their free Wi-Fi. To top it off, the coffee in the room was very good. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Davenport, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We saw the hotel online listing and thought we would give it a try and in doing so was extremely disappointed. There was just the two of us, my husband and I. Saturday we arrived and was expecting to go in and get into the hot tub after such a long drive and there was none to be found. So i called front desk and the lady on the other end of the phone told me that's not what we asked for and that was not so, that's why we called in advance to make sure that's what we got. If I just wanted to sleep maybe that's what I would have asked for but that's not the case. The bathroom was so small you couldn't even shut the door to use the toliet, there was a toliet a bathtub and shower in one 6' by 8' room. Two queen size beds, One had piss on the mattress. Although the sheets and bedlinens we're clean which was surprising. I checked the bathroom out and the toliet was filthy with piss under the rim of the seat. I would have been just as happy going to a motel 6 and not waste my time here. As for my husband being a senior citizen that didn't matter either, although what happened to the discount. There was no Discount or Hot tub so what was the since? I would have been just as happy going to the Casino and throwing my money away there. Instead we stayed the night and came back home the following day, but we wer'e both extremely dissappointed in the trip which was our first in 30 yrs. alone that is. Room service was terrible and the resturant was over priced for what little you get so take a little advice try another place and make this ur last resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I gave the Clarion a 5 star last year and we booked again this year. Same courteous staff, clean rooms, good central location. But they no longer have the typical Choice Hotels inclusive breakfast. Instead they give each resident a daily $4 voucher to be used toward a breakfast (cooked on order) from the attached restaurant. This adds at least $10 daily to the cost of each room, so it will affect my decision of where I bring my group in 2014. I didn't even shop around this year, we were so happy with our stay in 2012...but next year I'll definitely be considering other options.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor facing west and had no issues.
Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bloomington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our stay started out well as the gentleman at the front desk was extremely courteous and helpful. When we got to our room however, the air freshener aroma was overpowering. Thinking that maybe our room had just been cleaned and an aerosol spray had been used we opened the window and headed for the arcade and pool. Unfortunately the arcade room's AC wasn't working and with all of the arcade games emitting heat, the room was 90 degrees and not usable. The pool was fine, nothing special. Upon returning to our room the smell was still potent and the same was true after dinner. We searched the room high and low to see if we could find the source of the smell but didn't locate anything. My plan was to see if we could get switched into another room but when I went to go down to the front desk the 2 rooms that I passed that were getting cleaned had the same overpowering smell issue. In the end we just dealt with it because we had an early morning planned but it definitely put a damper on what otherwise might have been a pleasant stay. I have no idea what product could have been used that made such an overpowering smell last for so long but I can't risk staying at this place again without knowing that the air freshener smell issue is fixed.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel is a dump it needs better management to start with. The GM Mark is not at all professional with his staff and the guests. The poeple who own this property need to make a change for a more experienced GM. This GM berated one of his male second shift front desk person I talked with Tim D after we had dinner out. Tim D stated that he had sevel years as a resort GM I will state that Tim D would be a better GM over this hothead, rude man you have now I will never stay with any choice hotel unless this GM is FIRED. Nor will I ER ALLOW ANY OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS OR BUSINESS ASSOCIATES TO STAY AT THIS OR ANY OTHER CHOICE HOTEL UNTIL THIS MAN IS FIRED.

Room Tip: Don't Stay at the Baraboo Clarion until the GM Mark is fired.
Racine, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for two night on the first weekend of May. We rented a large two bedroom suite so the kids could have their own room. The room was nice and big and had a very large hot tub that separated the two bedrooms. The pool on the 4th floor was very nice and had a nice overlook of the town. Now for the things that were not so good. Both the vanity by the front door and the bath tub had very slow drains. We had to wait for a good 10 min between showers for the water to drain. I suspect they were clogged with hair but I was not about to open them and find out. The other big issue I had was our room was skipped for maid service after the first night. We left for a few hours in the morning expecting our room to be mad up and our towels replaced. When we arrived none of this had happened. I called down to the front desk and they said they would send someone up but by this time I figured what was the point. I just had them give us fresh towels and sent the person on their way. This was very disappointing. Overall the value and location were good and even the restaurant was decent and I would probably stay there again

Room Tip: The two bedroom unit is a great value if you have 4 or more people traveling.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here during a hunting trip near devils lake state park. We typically stay in the Dells but decided we wanted to be a little closer to the hunting land. This hotel was very nice and much cheaper than the hotels in the Dells. Its close enough to the casino and even the Dells that it would be convenient to stay here if the Dells is your destination. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bathroom is TINY but that's typical of hotels. You do get breakfast coupons but we didn't use them. One thing that was really great for us was how quiet it was, granted we did stay during the week but there were lots of other guests and we heard no one all week. The pool area was nice, we were the only ones in there and the hot tub is quiet large. The pool is on the 4th floor and the hallway does smell of chlorine (so try to get a room on a different floor). Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!