“Excellent food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I made online reservations to have dinner here on a Sunday night, around 8 pm. We opted to eat later because we normally eat late and also to avoid a crowd. Luckily, the restaurant was not crowded so the table right in front of the window was available. The friendly host took us right to it. Great table with a nice view of the lake.

Our server greeted us soon and we ordered a bottle of wine to start. There were several good sounding options on the menu, but when our server told us about the specials, we opted for them. I had the sea bass with couscous and asparagus. My husband had the seasonal salmon topped with a cheesy crust and wild rice. (I can't remember if it was sockeye or Copper River salmon.) I substituted their vegetable of the day for the asparagus. Both dishes were excellent! My sea bass with its light crust was the best piece of sea food I ever ate! It literally melted in my mouth. The light crust was out of this world! But the couscous was bland and pretty boring, even though it had sweet onions in it. Very disappointing. The vegies were very good.. The salmon was fantastic also! I tasted it and it was delish! My husband raved about the salmon and wild rice mixture! We shared a piece of cherry pie that was also very good. The piece was pretty large so sharing it was not a problem! It did not come with a scoop of ice cream, not sure if our server forgot to offer it or not. No problem. Our overall impression of the food was that it was excellent, except for the couscous.

Our server was very professional, friendly, and prompt.

Now for a few other impressions. Like others have mentioned, the prices are quite high here. But that is to be expected of a small exclusive restaurant. The prices on the wine list were marked up a lot. We ordered a bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve for $38. We purchase this wine often at Festival Foods for around $10. But it was one of the less expensive wines available on their menu. The prices did not bother us much because we wanted to enjoy a very nice meal that night.

Others have also mentioned the noise factor. Luckily, there were only about 4 other tables with diners when we arrived but the table directly behind us had 3 people who had finished their meals but were relaxing and visiting. We heard every single word they said as if we were sitting at their table and it got on my nerves at the start of our meal. Once they left, it was much nicer. Later on, 2 couples who were sitting way across the room, were talking and again, we could hear everything they said, but it was not loud or annoying. Sound travels in the dining room! It would be great if in addition to the soft music they play, they could add some white noise or install sound absorbing ceiling tiles. I would not choose this restaurant if I wanted to have a quiet romantic dinner.

Overall, we enjoyed a very tasty dinner! We have eaten lunch here 2 times in the past and thought the food was excellent also.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
We certainly appreciate your comments! And we understand about the sounds in the dining room. We love our old building with the authentic hardwood floors and tintype ceiling -- but when the buildling was built over a hundred years ago, they weren't concerned about noise levels. We do have people working on simple ways to reduce the way voices can travel at times in the dining room -- and we are determined to do it in a way that keeps the integrity of the building. And, it's always a challenge for restaurants with regards to beverage service. We are required to purchase our wines through vendors so we are not able to get the good prices that we also see in the grocery stores. It is unlawful for us to purchase wine and liquor from stores for service in the restaurant -- so our prices have to remain higher to cover the expense of the product and our service of that product. We will take a second look at our pricing, though, to be certain we are within reason. Thanks for the lovely comments about the food -- we are so lucky to have Kara Walker and Dan Karpinski as our chefs for dinner service! They are a great team -- and creative to boot! We hope to see you again soon!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“The only place we ate at twice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We make a point to try different restaurants while traveling, but the Harbor Fish Market was so delicious that we came back twice. I like that they buy some fish from a local fish market (Hickey Brothers Fishing… worth a visit, too!), so you are truly eating local. Aside from that, the service is outstanding and the food, well… it was heavenly. We ate outside on the patio with a water view both times as we had our dog with us (they have a dog menu, too!), but the inside looked beautiful.

Visited July 2014
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit here and came back twice! Our dog dining is so popular -- and we love our dog menu! Hopefully, we will see all of you back here again soon!
Dubuque, Iowa
“Wonderful Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We needed dinner on our way to Door Shakespeare. There looked like a couple of good choices so it was a toss up on where to go. Landed at the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail and found a fantastic bartender. She had great knowledge of the area, friendly and excellent customer service. She was so nice we stayed for dinner. We ate outside with a view of the lake, ordered the cold seafood appetizer - fun presentation! We had the flank steak special and the sea bass off the menu it was excellent. Staff got us out in time to get us to the theater on time.

Outside was dog friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Having Door Shakespeare right near by is wonderful! Such a great neighbor! I believe that Jennifer was your bartender that night -- she loved helping you and she's so happy (as are we) that you took the time to write a review here! Have a wonderful summer!
Chicago, IL
“Decent food but average overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had lunch at the Harbor FM&G on our way to Sister Bay. The clam chowder was good but the pork sandwich was average as was the lobster roll and chicken ceasar salad wrap. The view of the lake was nice and the service good.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
We are sorry that your visit with us wasn't so wonderful. Our Harbor whitefish chowder is made here using local whitefish -- and I will check with the staff to be certain nothing has changed with our recipe. It is one of our most popular items and we have become known for it -- so we want to be certain that something hasn't changed. I will also check into your concern about the pork sandwich. Our soup and sandwich feature changes daily so I will be certain to personally check it before we feature that sandwich again. Hopefully we will entice you to stop back in and try us again! We would love to give you a better impression of our food! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review here -- your opinion is very, very important to all of us.
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Good food. Good view.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

service fair.
Food was very rich (cheese, butter) and since my stomach felt touchy that day, I had a hard time chosing and went for a rissoto. It was very good. It was rich, but I lived.
Server was a bit unattentive, but we werent in hurry and didn't need anything anyway.

Visited June 2014
While I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to write a review here, I am sorry to hear that your service wasn't what we (and you!) would have liked it to be. I appreciate the opportunity to check into that and if you have some specific items you would like to share, please drop me a note at berndt.karen@gmail.com. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and we hope to see you again!