“A Great Day on Lake Superior” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Biking, Camping, Dining, Sailing, Shopping, Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest of Lake Superior's Apostle Islands and the only one that is commercially developed.
Twin Cities, MN
16 attraction reviews
“A Great Day on Lake Superior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We took the ferry over to Madeline Is in the a.m. Drove to Big Bay State Park to have a picnic and then go to the beach there. The overlook where we had lunch was beautiful. The best part is the beach at this park! It is the most beautiful beach I have seen, plus it's Lake Superior, the best lake on the planet!

Franklin
68 attraction reviews
“You need to visit Tom's Burned Down Cafe, museum etc”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Madeline Island is on island time. The downtown is right at the water front. The best place to have a drink is at Tom's Burned Down Cafe. I loved the signs, drinks and fun. You need to experience it. The crafts are made locally. There is an important Native American burial site. It is worth the ferry trip. I would hate to take the ice road highway. When you are on Madeline Island, please ask about the cabin that sank while being driven on the ice road highway. stop by the museum, rent a moped and remember to have fun. The ferry was worth it and the day was nice. However, remember that this is island time and ferries may leave earlier or later.

Visited August 2012
“Cute , friendly, laid back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Loved the island, ferry trip was good only $50 round trip for car and my wife and I, the dog got to go for free. First stop off thr ferry was the beach club for lunch on the patio with the golden retriever. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the wife had the Ruben vary good and not expensive. The island punch is great. Took I walk around and seen the town it is a cute small town where every one knows each other. There are a few shops around and some eateries every one of the locals were very friendly. Yah the prices are higher than the mainland but you need to remember it all has to be ferried over to the island that cost money. The parks and beaches are a must see. The one place that I will never forget and WILL return to is TOM'S BURNED DOWN CAFE, it is pet friendly. My golden retriever Bella was welcome and loved the place. She got to play with the bartenders dog. Service was great. It is a see to believe place and must go to.

Victoria, Texas
67 attraction reviews
“Don't feel we got our Moneys worth!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We went out here just because it was the thing to do. We paid $32. for our small car and then $13.00 each for my husband and I. $50.00 to just get over there with a vehicle. If you go over just on your own it's $13.00 each. You have shops, restaurants and for sure a magnificant Madeline Island Museum but everything costs money. To see the museum was $14.00 for both of us. Then went to the Big Bay State Park, it was another $5.00 for an hour of looking around. Gesh, without shopping or food the trip cost 2 of us with our car $69.00. Was it worth that? I'm just not sure. We have a ferry here and maybe not quite as far but it's -0- and takes you to a fine beach. The line is for sure longer but.......you can rent bikes but the trails and beaches are 7 miles so you will be really ready for a swim by the time you get there. If you walk you are basicly stuck in the little town.

Also if you do decide to do this and you decide to take the road all the way around the island? Don't bother! Once you hit the dirt road, it's all build up with homes and 1/2 of them are for sale. You rarely see the lake and the dirt road added to that? It's just not worth it.

I think we spent 3 hours on the Island and we were ready to leave. I will say if you do take the plunge for sure spend the addl money for the Museum. It's truly incredible and amazing. Don't miss it!!

Fergus Falls, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
“BEAUTIFUL.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a fun day trip. We went there with 6 tween and teenage children and 4 adults. I would HIGHLY recommend visiting the state park and plan to enjoy a day at a beautiful, pristine beach. The water was crystal clear and the beach was nice powdery sand. Very calm despite the fact that the other side of the island had 3 foot wave swells!
Also, I would recommend taking the shorter hikes...especially along the pointe as you will have the opportunity to see some amazing rocky cliffs and sea caves! Dining options on the island were mediocre with the exception of The Pub which was a little more upscale dining with reasonable prices in a "yacht club" ambience. Plenty to see and do for a day or two!