“This hotel is a good alternative” 3 of 5 stars

You added Village Inn to your Saves list
Village Inn
38 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“This hotel is a good alternative”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed here one night in June as we were touring the nearby Greenbrier Hotel bunker the next morning. I had read the reviews about how this was a no-fringe hotel. This is true. The hotel was just fine for our needs. We paid $55 for a double size bed. The room was clean, well-stocked with toiletries, and had a flat screen TV and refrigerator. The owner was very helpful and friendly. She gave us laundry soap for free; there is a washer/dryer onsite, but it was really busy, so we opted to go to town to do our laundry - we were on a two-week trip. Hair dryers are available at the front desk - they just aren't kept in the rooms.

The room's décor was a bit outdated, but it was easy to look past that since a room at the Greenbrier Hotel can cost around $300. The hotel was just a short block or so from the Greenbrier. People who are doing renovations at the Greenbrier stay here long-term, so there was lots of activity during the early evening hours with barbequing, etc., but it did get quiet well before lights out.

The restaurant next door, Route 60 Bar & Grille, was an easy choice for us since we could walk there. It isn't fancy, but they have a Tobyburger (hamburger) that is wonderful!

This hotel is a good place to stay for a night or two as an alternative to a higher priced hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Keyser, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We recently stayed for three nights and were pleased with the friendliness of the staff and the clean towels we received each day. The central location is quite good. However, there was no internet or microwave or hair dryer. The largest problem that I had with the room was the dirt. There was dirt and dust all over. Our room needed a thorough cleaning . There were paint spots on the floor and the sulphur smell in the bathroom is unsatisfactory . I hung my pants up on their hanger and the pants were left with dark stains from the dirt & grime.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

You never know what you'll find when you see a "mom and pop" type hotel. We have actually started seeking out these types of accommodations when we travel. First, they're usually less expensive. Second, they're larger rooms and nice. This one fits those descriptions. We were put on the first floor, which made it nice carrying in luggage. Room wasn't fancy, but was clean and nice. AC worked well. Bathroom larger, but older. Nothing fancy there, either. Staff was friendly, most helpful in finding a restaurant for supper. The only complaints we had were both out of their control; noise from the road, as hotel was right next to road (but noise calmed down by 11pm) and frequent train whistles all night long; again, nothing they can do about that! Beds were comfortable. No odors like stale cigarettes or pet! And, no heavy perfume type smell like they were trying to hide something. Good place to stay. Would stay again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: try to get further back away from the road
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

So we stayed at the village inn for 2 weeks and we had an excellent stay. Thanks to the very helpful manager, Sharon, who keeps on helping us during our stay. She even helped us when we moved to our apartment. The village inn is very close to the Greenbrier hotel and I believe the closest inn to stay when you are planning to go to the Greenbrier.

• Stayed April 2014
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is an older, classic two story motel surrounding the parking lot. The rooms look to have been upgraded recently -- new flat screen TVs and some nice furniture, but also plenty of vintage fixtures in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable enough and the AC was a bit noisy but it worked. The hotel rents by the week and month, so the vibe is closer to staying at an apartment complex than a hotel. In the afternoon lots of folks congregate outside their doors and young kids are running around playing in front of your door. One thing that hasn't been upgraded are the doors, which offer only doorknob locks -- no deadbolts, so it didn't quite secure. The woman at check-in was very friendly, although when I arrived a fellow was sitting in the lobby chatting on his cellphone. He yelled "you have a customer!" and a few minutes later she arrived to check me in. There is no breakfast, and I wasn't able to find anything open in town when I pulled out -- this is a very scenic area but White Sulfur Springs is a pretty small, quiet place. If you don't want to pay the hefty prices to stay at nearby Greenbrier, I'd suggest checking out hotels in Lewisburg, the next town over.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dublin VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I popped into town, not knowing where we would stay. At a Convenience Store, I asked where we might find some good food and a place to stay. The Village Inn was quickly recommended. With no reservation and the place nearly full, the absolutely delightful manager adjusted her assignments and found us a room to accommodate us. The problem lots of people seem to have is that they are unable and/or unwilling to allow a place to be itself. We adjusted and had a very pleasant stay in the room on the end near the road. It is about a mile from an absolutely wonderful place to eat, where we had enjoyed our dinner, and where we had breakfast before we left town.

Room Tip: Be flexible and allow a place to be itself.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was stranded by the most recent winter storm on Wed. Feb. 12. I am a truck driver and had to be towed to the top of the mountain. I was able to get off at the next exit and found an parking lot at Food Lion stores. I pulled into the lot and parked safely to escape the snowfall of apx 15 inches. I googled hotels and search showed Village Inn. I phoned Village and asked if any rooms available and explained my situation and asked the owner if she could get me. She asked me how the roads were. I said terrible but she said she would try to pick me up. She showed up and asked me to derive back because it was so bad out; she even allowed me to stop at gas station for a few supplies. We made it back to Motel and she gave me a really nice clean room, she offered to feed me. She made me feel very comfortable. The next morning I awoke to view how much snow accumulated, there was at least a foot or more on top of cars in lot and this wonderful lady was out shoveling snow from customers cars. I was stranded there for 2 days and was so glad I found the Village Inn. The people are so friendly and there are attractions close by plus the scenery is an added benefit!

Room Tip: Older historic location but rooms very clean with micro oven and fridge. Great value and priced ri...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Village Inn? Share your experiences!