“The Greenbrier has returned!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

Save Saved
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
“The Greenbrier has returned!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have visited the Greenbrier regularly since I was a child (over 40 years). I have many memories of spending Thanksgiving, New Years and periods of the summer staying at the hotel. In more recent years I have visited while staying with relatives that live on the grounds. While staying at a home on the Old White Course I have still been able to experience many aspects of the resort including its restaurants, shops, activities and staff. Unfortunately I have witnessed a slow decline in the quality of the resort over the past few decades.

Last weekend was the first time that I have stayed in the hotel in years and I was pleasantly surprised! The room was exquisite, the hotel was impeccable and I notices a renewed sense of hospitality with the staff. The new restaurants, the new casino, ice rink and other activities all increase the enjoyment of the overall resort experience. I too take my hat off to Jim Justice for doing an incredible job in revitalizing an American tradition!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Beautiful inside and out!! Decorated beautifully! Great meals! Fun activities!

• Stayed March 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I took my girlfriend for a weekend getaway to propose (telling her that I was about to have a crazy month at work and wanted a relaxing weekend). I proposed soon after we arrived and the rest of the stay was absolutely amazing.
The room was lovely. Bright colors (lots of floral patterns as expected); a nice bathroom, and a very comfortable bed.
Lunch at Drapers was nice but not perfect. The food (fried green tomato and ham and brie sandwiches with sweet potato fries) was very good but the service was not. The waiter was slow and didn't say more than two words the entire time, and the hostess seemed annoyed with everyone. Still, the food came out quickly enough and they kept drinks filled.
Dinner in the Main Dining Room was fantastic. When we got there my now fiancee was on the phone with her parents telling them about our engagement. The manager was about to seat us and I asked him if we could have a minute after explaining why she was on the phone. When we were sat a minute or two later we were offered complimentary champagne and congratulations from several members of the wait staff. Service and food were both excellent throughout the meal, as were the cocktails from the bar. They also brought us dessert at the end of the meal (coconut pound cake with ice cream and hot fudge, petit fours and what I think was a grand marnier chocolate mousse).
The casino was great as well. Friendly dealers and a great atmosphere. We got a few drinks while here and the bar was out of ingredients for several of the drinks on their menu (the only other low point of the trip). I wanted to try a mint julep, which they call their signature drink, and the bartender said they were out of crushed ice. The bar was empty, he could have chipped some ice for one ($14) drink. The drinks they did have available were good though, and we were given a round on the house for the inconvenience. Table minimums were $10 for craps and $15 for blackjack if anyone is curious.
Breakfast in the main dining room was great as well. The buffet, coffee, and juice were great as was the service. The atmosphere in the dining room is exactly what I expected from the greenbrier. Nice music, quiet, and a room that is beautiful without being stuffy that made it easy to relax.
The grounds of the resort are nice and gave us an opportunity to take a hike on one of the trails. The indoor pool was nice and a good place for a quick morning swim. We didn't get to use the spa on this trip (after losing way too much money at the casino) but it looked on par with the rest of the hotel.
All in all, a nearly perfect weekend, and we will definitely be back (possibly for the wedding). Thanks to everyone at the greenbrier for making our stay perfect!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed at the Greenbrier with a girlfriend from college for a long weekend in February. We enjoyed everything from our room, to the great food (best deals in the Lobby Bar on the bar menu), to the spa, to the casino (low minimums allow for novice gamblers to play and have fun). We enjoyed many of the complimentary activites - tea in the lobby and the indoor pool - which made the weekend more affordable. Caution - there is no coffee service in the rooms and if you miss complementary coffee in the lobby (ends at 9am), you will pay big $$ for a cup! Little things like that annoyed me, but I was careful to take advantage of all the resort had to offer. Favorites: well marked hiking/walking trails on the property, fried-green tomato sliders at the bar, the fire pit next to the skating rink, movies and popcorn in the theater. Can't wait to return!!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2travel2shop
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My family spent three nights at the Greenbriar over Valentine's Weekend to celebrate my Mom's 60th birthday. Our group included my sister and I and our husbands (all in our 30s) and my parents. We also brought our golden retriever and the Greenbriar was very nice to make an exception for him (he's bigger than they allow).

My husband and I stayed in a room in main hotel (dog with grandparents in a cottage). We booked our room under a Sniqueaway Package. Our first room was extremely tiny, right across from the elevators, and we could hear a TV through one wall and people laughing and talking through another wall. We could hear the elevator doors open and close. We immediately went down to see about changing the room and they graciously found us another room away from the elevators that was slightly larger. We were grateful and it's a testament to the incredible service that we were moved (and upgraded) promptly.

However, this room was not ready to be used - there were no towels, bathmats, toiletries, etc and a cleaning spray bottle was in the sink. I called to housekeeping to ask for towels and was told they would be delivered at turndown. I was slightly surprised by this answer and had to call back to ask for some soap lest we use the bathroom! I could have made my request more clear but even after turndown we did not have full towels or bathmat. I also discovered at this point that a used bathrobe was still hanging behind the door. We are fairly certain (hopeful!) that the rest of the room was clean but it wasn't until cleaning the next morning that we had everything we should have had. This is my only complaint about housekeeping - if you're going to do turndown, there should be a checklist and inspection. Even after I threw the used bathrobe on the floor (the clean ones still hanging in the closet) it was hung up again! In the hotels we stay in, anything on the floor means clean it. We are also certain our room was never vacuumed during our stay.

General: the rooms in the hotel are nice, but all are small and the bathrooms are tile. I would say they are 3-star quality.

That aside, the main areas of the hotel are beautifully and stately done. The service is top-notch - better than any Ritz Carlton I've stayed at. From the casinos, to the bellmen, to the restaurants we also had incredible service - friendly, attentive, etc.

Family Cottage: The rest of our family stayed in a Tansas Cottage with the dog. In contrast with the hotel room, the cottages have been beautifully renovated with huge bathrooms with separate tub/shower/toilet/vanities. The cottage had two full bedrooms and bathrooms and a large main area with seating for 6 and a dining table with six chairs. It had a working fireplace (they lit it for us promptly), a wet bar with fridge and microwave, and nice built-in cabinetry with glasses, plates, etc. The hotel delivered ice every evening at happy hour as well. The cottages also have large front porches that are fully furnished and gated - if only we were there in nice weather! Having seen the cottage first, perhaps this explains some of our disappointment with the hotel room. They just do not compare.

AMENITIES:
We enjoyed the spa - excellent treatments, nice locker room, and relaxation room.
The indoor pool is very nice - great setup, clean, good changing areas.
The shops in the hotel are very well done with excellent lines and merchandising (I have owned a retail store).
The casino is nice - fresh, bright, and aside from losing all our money, a fun time! A nice touch is the good luck champagne at 10pm each night.
The boys went to the gun club and had a good time skeet-shooting.
We enjoyed walking around the property and stumbled upon some shops (not sure what they're called) in a row away from the hotel. Original glass-blowing, furniture, etc - the hotel should advertise more for these wonderful people!
We did the bunker tour and found it fascinating but not at all worth $30/pp. It's basically a lot of concrete that was never used. The price for this tour is ridiculous. $15 would be fair.

FOOD:
The biggest disappointment of our stay. The quality of the food in every restaurant we ate was mediocre at best and the prices (considering the quality) were exorbitant. Let me be very clear that we don't mind paying a lot of money for high quality food, and we eat in Michelin-star restaurants whenever we can. So my comments are not because we're "cheap".

Prime 44: Mrs. Justice's cornbread is basically the recipe off the box - they should serve it in the cast iron dish but also should bake it in that! Also, skip the rolls/breads that are offered when you first sit down - why have both - the first assortment is obviously store bought and you don't get the cornbread until after you order. Fried lobster appetizer is horrible. Waste of money. Wagyu beef - not sure if it's true wagyu but my guess is no, which is a misuse of the term. Steak was overcooked on one side and undercooked on the other - not an even pinkness throughout (for 5oz of "wagyu" at $12/oz - don't mess it up!). My sister had to send her filet back as it was completely burnt. None of the steaks were up to par. My husband and dad had the surf and turf special for $80 (each) that included a lobster tail that tasted like it had been in a freezer too long. For sides we shared the creamed spinach -- too salty, no taste, the corn pudding -- much more suitable as a cornbread, and the french fries -- which were cooked in oil that was not hot enough b/c they were greasy all the way through. For an $850 check for 6 people (including two bottles of wine), this dinner was completely and utterly disappointing. Our server, however, was wonderful.

Main Dining Room: Generally same as above except the server was not quite as nice or attentive. My entree was the "shepherd's pie" and I got it because it said it came with Foie Gras on top. Again, not foie gras. Duck slices, but not duck liver. For the crowd the Greenbriar appears to cater to, these mistakes should not be tolerated. I won't go into other details but suffice it to say, the seafood is horrible (peeky-toe crab salad, entree fish, lobster tails, etc) and the meats are so-so. Normally I would never order seafood in WV on principle, but one might assume it would be different at the Greenbriar.

We did have lunch at In-Fusion one day and found it quite nice. Aside from a basic, mediocre sushi roll costing $16 (seriously?!!), the lunch entrees were fairly priced and delicious. I had the pork belly with pancakes and enjoyed it.

My husband and I had breakfast one morning at Draper's, and the family had our Sunday dinner there. Because the prices are more reasonable at Draper's I would overall say the price:quality ratio is much better. That said, it's basic diner food.

Overall impressions of the Greenbriar:
The staff is happy and it shows. The cottages are the only way to stay; I can't imagine a tiny hotel room (one of hundreds) during the busy season. You have to eat the food because you're a captive audience but the quality of the overpriced food will be a MAJOR factor in whether or not we return.

They do not enforce the dress code - enforce it or forget it!

We had a great time, the location is a good meeting spot for our family. Had we paid more than what we did for the hotel room, we would have been pissed -- they are 3-star at best. However, we felt the cottage was a great deal (about $400/night) and would probably pay full rate for it if we returned during peak season (~$800/night).

Lastly, I have to say that I HATE add-on fees. There is a resort fee of $20/night/pp. I think this type of nickel/diming is a ridiculous and cheap attempt to make money. Even at the best resorts around the world you don't pay a resort fee. Nothing we did, except possibly indoor swimming, was free. So just roll that extra $40 into the room rate and keep it simple. Nothing like a place that wants to be classy but has to get a little bit extra here and there. Overall, for 6 people and one dog, including meals, spa, etc, we paid over $5200 for three nights. Just include the fees and get the food up to par and we might return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

My new husband and I traveled to the Greenbrier for a 3-night honeymoon in December 2010. It was a wonderful experience and the staff was so kind and friendly to us! We had been to the hotel before with our parents and it's even better now with the new owner's renovations. We loved the brand-new skating rink, the Christmas decorations, the spa, and our beautiful room with a view of one of the outdoor Christmas trees and lighted sculptures. We had dinner in several of the restaurants and the food was always good and in large portions. The casino was fun and although we're in no way big gamblers, we did win a bit of money. Our Greenbrier honeymoon will always be a precious memory, and we hope to return for many anniversaries.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Greenbrier; part of the Tribute to the Virginias package. We had a lovely room with ample closet space, a roomy bathroom, and comfy seating next to two well lit, sunny windows. My wife loved the wallpaper --- more "her bag" than mine. But I was very pleased with the accommodations and found them very comfortable. We had four meals. A wonderful dinner in the Main Dining Room. I had veal medallions with lobster tail poached in butter. I would recommend it. Their signature coconut cake desert was scrumptious. The service was very attentive. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and helpful. She was generous with samples too At one point I had three wine glasses in front of me! The wine I started with and two other glasses for samples. Lunch the next day was at Drapers. My wife had the ham and brie sandwich, which she enjoyed very much. I recommend the sweet potato fries which come with the sandwich. I had the fried green tomato sandwich, and it was very good. My only gripe is that I dislike messy sandwiches. Both of ours, and others I saw served, were definitely in that category from being so thick. Some people are OK with that, I guess. This would not deter me from returning to Drapres. That night we had bar food at one of the bars in the casino while we watched a basketball game on the tube. My wife said she had the best burger ever. I had delicious wings with a smoky savory glaze. Kudos again to the sweet potato fries. This morning, we ate breakfast in the Main Dining Room and it was excellent! I was going to get Eggs Benedict off of the menu, but when I saw everything they had on the buffet I changed my mind. For $25 you get juice, coffee/tea. smoked salmon, conventional danish, bagels and breads, made to order omelets (and a preparer who understands concept "undercooked" --- or "baveuse" as they say in France), artisanal sausages, the ubiquitous biscuits and gravy. two types of properly cooked scrambled eggs, french toast and pancakes, and a delightful sausage and mushroom in cream casserole, excellent fresh fruit selection (highlighted by the Greenbrier's own peaches --- excellent on the french toast)... and that is all I can remember. Can you tell I like a good breakfast!? As I detail these things, it occurs to me that, aside from a few items, there was nothing particularly unusual about our buffet offerings. What stood out the most at breakfast, at other meals and during our stay in general was the excellence of the execution. The professionalism, helpfulness, friendliness of all the staff we encountered also bear mention. The Greenbrier is a gem and we are both looking forward to our next --- and longer visit --- next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!