“The Greenbrier Resort is a special treat.” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
West Virginia
“The Greenbrier Resort is a special treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Greenbrier; part of the Tribute to the Virginias package. We had a lovely room with ample closet space, a roomy bathroom, and comfy seating next to two well lit, sunny windows. My wife loved the wallpaper --- more "her bag" than mine. But I was very pleased with the accommodations and found them very comfortable. We had four meals. A wonderful dinner in the Main Dining Room. I had veal medallions with lobster tail poached in butter. I would recommend it. Their signature coconut cake desert was scrumptious. The service was very attentive. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and helpful. She was generous with samples too At one point I had three wine glasses in front of me! The wine I started with and two other glasses for samples. Lunch the next day was at Drapers. My wife had the ham and brie sandwich, which she enjoyed very much. I recommend the sweet potato fries which come with the sandwich. I had the fried green tomato sandwich, and it was very good. My only gripe is that I dislike messy sandwiches. Both of ours, and others I saw served, were definitely in that category from being so thick. Some people are OK with that, I guess. This would not deter me from returning to Drapres. That night we had bar food at one of the bars in the casino while we watched a basketball game on the tube. My wife said she had the best burger ever. I had delicious wings with a smoky savory glaze. Kudos again to the sweet potato fries. This morning, we ate breakfast in the Main Dining Room and it was excellent! I was going to get Eggs Benedict off of the menu, but when I saw everything they had on the buffet I changed my mind. For $25 you get juice, coffee/tea. smoked salmon, conventional danish, bagels and breads, made to order omelets (and a preparer who understands concept "undercooked" --- or "baveuse" as they say in France), artisanal sausages, the ubiquitous biscuits and gravy. two types of properly cooked scrambled eggs, french toast and pancakes, and a delightful sausage and mushroom in cream casserole, excellent fresh fruit selection (highlighted by the Greenbrier's own peaches --- excellent on the french toast)... and that is all I can remember. Can you tell I like a good breakfast!? As I detail these things, it occurs to me that, aside from a few items, there was nothing particularly unusual about our buffet offerings. What stood out the most at breakfast, at other meals and during our stay in general was the excellence of the execution. The professionalism, helpfulness, friendliness of all the staff we encountered also bear mention. The Greenbrier is a gem and we are both looking forward to our next --- and longer visit --- next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We ate in this restaurant a couple of times while at the Greenbrier this year. Also enjoyed it last year in its former location.

The food is resort priced, but very good. The ice cream bar is a great snack during the day and not expensive.

This is the one place on property that you don't need a reservation for. That worked in our favor as we didn't have reservations and none were to be had for the other establishments.

I will absolutely go back again.

• Stayed February 2011
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The Greenbrier is an expensive resort but well worth every penny. We were so impressed by this hotel, we stayed another night ... We actually stayed in the cottages on the resort and used the shuttle bus to go back & forth to the hotel for activities. This resort has so many wonderful activities to accomodate all ages. My 7 yr. old grandon enjoyed ice skating, bowling, swimming, and the nature trails. They have horseback riding, a movie theather, comedy shows, tea time, which is absolutely amazing. The staff are #1 and treat you like you are so important, they cater to your every care, want or desire. I cannot say enough positive comments about this wonderful resort in WV. I will definitely be a return customer, because of the accomodations and the wonderful staff. With all of this being said, I will say one down side was the dining prices, their restaurants are pricey, so if you have small children who don't eat alot, you still pay the price on the menu, but this is a must for a romantic weekend, anniversary, wedding, etc. Number one choice in WV after at brilliant stay!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We visited the Greenbrier February 8-10, 2011 to celebrate our anniversary. We were blessed with a beautiful corner room with mountain views. The staff were extremely helpful and accomodating throughout our stay. We had dinner at the Forum (excellent) and Draper's (very good). From the culinary demonstration to the pool to the movie to the skating rink to the fitness center to the billards tables to the spa treatments, we had a thoroughly wonderful time and look forward to returning soon.

nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed at the Greenbrier for Thanksgiving with our extended family. It had been fourteen years since we had visited. We had a great time. We stayed in the West Virginia wing and the rooms appeared to have been recently refurbished and were quite spacious. Members of our party enjoyed the gun club, shopping, the spa, the pool, bowling, the bunker tour, ice skating, tea, the casino and, of course, the food. We loved it all! It was nice for different groups in our party to be able to choose what activities they wanted to participate in and it was a pleasure then, at the end of the day, to all enjoy eating together as well. We also got an impromptu family portrait taken right before dinner. There was no charge for the sitting...just if you decided to purchase the photos...which we did. My husband was a bit disappointed that the black jack table minimums were so high and so he got to gamble only a little. Other than that, we had no complaints and look forward to planning another extended family holiday at the Greenbrier.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Greenbrier Valentines week end. The service was excellent. The food was mediocre. Since it was off season there was limited restaurant availability. We had dinner in the main dining hall, the service was poor and the food only fair. We had breakast in our room and it was again only average.

The casino is very attractively designed but slot machines are very tight. We were there 3 days and I never witnessed anyone hit a jackpot. The videopoker machines are extremely poor.

The grounds are beautiful. The tour of the bunker was very interesting. It is probably a better place to visit during the warmer weather.

Locust Grove, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Like many have said - staying at the Greenbrier is like stepping back at time. But I would add that may be true but all the modern amenties that you would ever need are right at your finger tips.

We booked the 2 night Valentine's Weekend package and it was worth every penny. We booked an intermediate room and it was an incredibly convienent 2 floor location. We were literally steps from the elevator that was smack dab in the middle of the resort.

The room was definitely in the Dorothy Draper motif. I loved the walk in closet! It also had a middle hanging rack that was incredibly handy as I had brought a full lenghth evening dress. Our only problem - the bathroom is teensy tiny. It didn't bother me as I went to all girls college of the same era and all the old buildings had bathrooms like that - it really threw my husband for a loop though. It was pretty hysterical me to watch him try to deal with it. The room had some signs of wear and tear - wallpaper curling in corners in the bathroom, rug was raveling a bit at the floor molding - but kind of lended itself to a more shabby chic than run down feeling.

Husband went on the bunker tour and boy did he love it. While he did that, I spent some yummy time at the Spa. I've stayed at many resorts and the Greenbrier Spa ranks in the top 10 - not for the Spa itself (it needs some rehab work) but the the unique services and the staff there. I'd like to give a shout out to Sharon who did my "Hot Toddy" service. You are simply wonderful.

We were supposed to go to the comedy club that night but were so comfy in the room we ordered room service (YUM! and once again fantastic service!) and watched a movie. It was great that they had still in the box office movies available as the hubby and I don't get to go very often.

You got two breakfasts in the main dining room. Both times that food was fabulous and once again service excellent - thanks Cora! We also had a carriage ride through the absolutely beautiful property. It came with a free photo - very nice touch.

We did a bit of window shopping. There is a bit of everything for everyone there. We also checked out the Kid's Adventure to see if our 3 year old might liek it and the woman in charge was sooo nice. She invited us and gave us a mini tour of the facility.

Saturday night was the main dining event - 5 course meal with 5 different wines in the Main Dining Room. Once again - fabulous. My husband is gluten free and they were able to cater to his allergy with grace and ease. They had a small band for dancing. It was very romantic and just right.

We checked out the casino - not really my thing but fun to people watch. They have a small entertainer company that does Broadway review bits. I think teh word I used was quaint - once again that feeling of stepping back in time.

We loved it there and plan on going back with the kiddo at Easter time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!