“Overall decent, with exception of bed bugs” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Washington DC
“Overall decent, with exception of bed bugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

On September 4th at around 7 pm my wife brought to the front desk a glass with bug in it that she pulled off of our bed from room 1109. After watching numerous stories earlier in the week she was convinced it was a bed bug. We made every effort to keep our concern discrete at the front desk and simply asked that the hotel determine what it was and if there were more of them. The front desk receptionist called the manager whom we had a side conversation with. Again, being very discrete. We received a call later that night telling us that they checked the room and did not see anymore bugs. The manager went on to say that he confirmed that it was not a bed bug and that bed bugs could not be seen by the naked eye. Please watch the following video. Inside the glass shown in this video are bugs that are 100% identical to the bug we shared that evening. Needless to say we slept with trepidation thereafter. I wrote to the hotel strongly encouraging them to 1) take this seriously with respect to checking rooms, and 2) educate the staff, especially management, to know what to look for and how to handle the situation. I have received no response. Other than this incident we had a fine time at the Greenbrier. Generally clean, plenty to do, food is average. Yes the decor is gaudy and dated, but digestible. Best food in the place is the Asian restaurant in the casino by far. Other food is only average. We would go back with the kids again but stay in a cottage. Unfortunately, the bed bug incident will keep us from returning or recommending to others until we have confidence that it has been dealt with completely and professionally.

Bedbugs head to Chicago for summit

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We have been going to the Greenbrier at least once a year, every year, for the past six years. We loved it until last time. When we checked in, our one-bedroom cottage was not ready and we were steered against our will to a different cottage by a somewhat condescending front desk greeter. We had chosen our cottage carefully and the new one was worse, with fewer windows and far less porch, so we called immediately and asked to wait until our original cottage was ready. I had to wait on hold for ten minutes and was told that it might not be available at all. Eventually, we did get into the original cottage, but this was not a good start.

The trip was still nice though everything was more crowded and service slower. The new steakhouse was okay but very pricey. When we left, the video checkout was not working and the line to checkout was very long so we agreed when the clerk offered to email me our statement. Big mistake. First, they did not email it, and I had to ask again. When I got the bill, I had been charged for a restaurant we had not gone to. Even worse, when I reviewed my American Express bill, I had been charged for an extra night;$531.

When I called to ask that these two charges be removed, I had to wait on hold for a while, and was told that I had mistakenly been charged for both cottages on our first night and that one charge would be removed. I asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold for a long time again and then told they would get back to me. Nobody ever did, and they never removed the charge from my bill, so I had to protest the charge on Amex. When I called again to see if they would just take the charge off, as I did not like to go through Amex since I have never had to that before with any bill ever, I was told that "Accounting" as in a meeting and would call me back within minutes. They never did.

We have spent tens of thousands of dollars at the Greenbrier over the years, and had brought our family from NY this time (they also had a problem with their bill). I am so disappointed that what was a family tradition has now been tainted by poorer service than we get at motels. Great to advertise and say you are wonderful. Not so great to make longstanding patrons feel like they would be fools to return. I gave it two stars, though it should really be one based on our last experience, and five based on our previous wonderful times.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Firm retreat to Greenbrier was wonderful. It is obvious the current owner is putting tons of money into this old gem and it really shows. We also happened to catch perfect late summer weather which was a break from the Florida heat.

We had two of the South Carolina cottages. These are outside of the main building a short walk from the lobby. Central sitting rooms with 3 or 4 bedrooms. The 4 bed room had a full kitchen. Bedrooms were updated (same old school decor) with very comfortable beds, flat screen TV's and showers that my partners are still raving about. Very comfortable and it was nice to be away from the main building. I suspect the rooms in the main building still in process of getting redone and probably on the smaller side.

Restauraunts were good. We ate at Prime 44 twice and found it good not great. Service a bit slow. Some value on the wine list. We also ate at the asian fusion place in the casino and it was great and very reasonably priced. It is not very busy because it is in the casino and hard to find if you are not looking for it.

Golf was great, we played the Greenbrier and Old White courses and felt they were very well conditioned and a great overall experience. Pro shop very professional and our old white forecaddy was alot of fun even if he couldnt read greens.

Tons of other activities. Too many to list but something for everyone. A couple of the guys went shooting and off road driving and loved it.

Casino was fine and fun. Not Vegas certainly but well run and fun. Not much to do at night after dinner except the casino quite frankly.

Bunker tour at 90 minutes is 45 minutes too long. Interesting but not fascinating as one of my partners said. If you watch the shows in the lobby on the bunker, you have pretty much seen it all.

Hotel arranged private transfer bus for our group to and from airport which was perfect and easy. Lewisburg airport small for sure, but an easy 15 minute drive to the property.

I cannot wait to bring my family back and would strongly reccomend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

Now, I know how the upper half lives. Geez, what an amazingly beautiful place nestled between the hills of the Allegheny Mountains. Massive in size, everything you could want to partake in, like an off-road driving school, spa, shops, tours, hikes, GOLF, and a very interesting part of history with the underground Cold War bunker tour. Rooms were very spacious, clean, excellent housekeeping service and many extra amenities available. The food is expensive, but everything is here. The food is also very delicious, which I didn't mind paying for since it was so good. Overall, in all the restaurants, the service is very good, but a little on the slow side. But, it does give you a little time to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. The new casino is quite nice and luxurious, updated games, and frequent nightly special dancing and singing attractions in the center gazebo part of the gaming room. Very entertaining. Didn't get a chance to see all of it, so we are planning to go back for the Christmas display later this year. You have to do this at least once in your life. It is very beautiful, and we have some fond memories.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wurtland, Ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We ate three meals at Draper's Cafe this past weekend while staying at the Greenbrier Resort. Our first meal was "ok" and the service a little slow. Luckly we went back the next day and what a wonderful experience it was! We had a great waitress and got our food within 10 minutes of ordering. My wife had the club sandwich and I had the roast beef and boy ole boy both were great! Came back the next day and we both got the club sandwich and once again it was great!

• Stayed September 2010
Wurtland, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We took a group of 30 people from work to stay at the Greenbrier this past weekend for two days. The resort itself is beautiful and rich with history! We ate at the Main Dining room the first night, the food was good (but the portions somewhat small for the price you pay). The next night we ate at Prime 44, the food was good, and the portions large! I ordered a Kansas City Strip but was brought a Rib eye instead, but since I like booth I went ahead and ate it. The steak was big, but I had to add steak sauce to it for flavor. I figure for the price of the steak, it should taste GREAT without adding any extra to it (oh well). During the day we ate at Drapers. The first day the food was ok and the service slow. If I had to rate Drapers on the first visit, I may have not went back. Man am I glad we did! The next two days the service was great and the food was wonderful (open face roast beef and the Casinos club was just tasty). We took several tours of the resort. Dr. Conte was awesome to listen to on the grounds tour. The Bunker tour was also very good and rich with history. Everyone of the staff I interacted with was nice and helpful in every way. I fished the pond on the golf course (and caught some nice bass) and Howard's creek (and caught 15 rainbow trout) and had a great time. Yes this is an expensive place to stay an eat, but if you ever get a chance to treat yourself, by all means go! Overall I LOVED this trip and can't wait to get back to the Greenbrier!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
blue bell pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We had a wonderful stay. My wife and three teenage children really enjoyed the beautiful grounds, wonderful Dorothy Draper decor, and the service. The food and service were for the most part very good and everyone should visit the Greenbrier at least once. The architecture reminds you of an expanded White House, as the exterior is completely white. We did have an experience that did mar our stay. Upon arriving at the front entrance with our van, the front doormen proceeded to ignore us. My wife overheard one of the men say that they did not want to unload a van. We were left unattended for over 10 minutes in the front of the hotel. No one greeted us, welcomed us, or even acknowleged us. Wow! I went from embarrassement, humiliation, to anger in a span of 10 minutes. After being so excited upon arrival, I was quickly deflated. I proceeded to pull the van around closer to our room, talk to the bell captain, and have the bags finally unloaded. After talking to the bell captain, I quickly understood why the service was so poor. He was disinterested at best. I discussed the situation with the operations manager and he explained that this is a common occurence and that it has happened before! We travel extensively and have been to some of the nicest resorts in the U.S., and have never experienced anything like this before. I have written to the owner Mr. Jim Justice who has invested over $150 million in restoring the Greenbrier and have not heard back yet. The pool service could also use improvement. The housekeeping, golf, and restaurant staff was great. Despite the incident, we had a wonderfull time and would return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!