PROS: Not only is this facility one of the largest we've visited (6,500 acres and 650 guest rooms, plus cottages on the grounds) , it is BY FAR the most outstanding in customer service. The staff made us feel like royalty, no kidding. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with nice touches including guest robes, spa toiletries, service twice daily in your room. The hotel itself houses 5 restaurants, two more currently being built, 3 golf courses, three pools (indoor/outdoor/mineral pool in spa), clay courts/hard courts, in-house casino, in-house theatre, in-house bowling alley, spa, shops, candy store (made on premises) in lobby, it's own lake stocked with fish, horses, outdoor adventure outfitters and gun club. And I'm sure I forget something as well.
I've stayed at a number of places that are considered upscale and this one tops them all in customer service. It's got history and beauty and lots to see and do.
CONS: Other than the casino, there wasn't a place my husband and I could go to after dinner and sit and have a glass of wine and listen to music, not even recorded. Evening activities felt lacking.
This place takes you back to another place and time in history. It could use some "now" touches only in the sense of activities in the evening for adults. We aren't gamblers, didn't want to watch a kid's movie and don't bowl, so that left us out of anything to do after dinner but head back to your room. The local community doesn't have much to offer in the way of restaurants or activities, so you end up staying within the Greenbrier for your entertainment.
OVERALL: Outstanding facility in every way, but could use a few modern touches.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- The Greenbrier Hotel
- Greenbrier Resort
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Hotel
- Greenbrier Wv
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Fareportal so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.