“Christmas at The Greenbrier” 5 of 5 stars

Expedia.com Travelocity
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Indianapolis
“Christmas at The Greenbrier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

Spent the holiday with eight family members in a four bedroom cottage on Copeland Hill at The Greenbrier. Wonderful activities every night ranging from music to musicals to lounge singers. Spectacular decorations in the public areas. Nearby Lewisburg was nice as well. Even played golf on Christmas Eve.

A nearly perfect family holiday.

• Liked — Beaitiful and comfortable
  • Disliked — A little smallish
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a cottage
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

My sister and I went to The Greenbrier as an early birthday celebration for my 40th, arriving late in the afternoon on Friday and staying through Sunday morning. No issues with any staff--everyone was friendly, charming and funny (as we are silly when together and the staff's reactions/attention/responses reflected our happy, carefree tone/attitude). The place is huge and our bell hop took the time to orient us before taking our things to the room. Our room was lovely with a fresh decor, large bath and closet and two doubles. Great linens and very clean carpet. (We didn't find it to be run down or frumpy at all and we're picky.)

We opted out of the meal package (and had our dinner Friday night in Lewisburg, nine miles away, at the quaint General Lewis Inn). Our casual lunch at the club house and our formal dinner in the main dining room of the Greenbrier were both delicious. We tend to share food to sample more, and we liked all dishes. I'm more adventurous and like to cook so the meals weren't as fancy as I imagined, but they weren't in anyway a disappointment. Again, the staff's teamwork and attention at dinner were appreciated, but not the best I've had, however, still well above average, just not quite fully excellent.

The spa was not my favorite in the world, but I would go back and do things differently. I felt 50 minutes wasn't long enough for a hot stone massage. Next time, I'd get a facial, manicure and/or pedicure. The services are double the cost of what I pay in the DC area so I limited myself to one, as did my sister. The steam room and sauna were great and "free"! Next time I would use them longer as well as go swimming at the lovely indoor pool.

In general, I would go back with my teen-aged nieces and spend more time enjoying the facilities. Shuffle board, bowling, swimming, and walking around the resort. I would not go with my boyfriend because he doesn't appreciate the 1940s as much as I do. I was inspired by the designer Dorothy Draper and bought the book. The place is bright and bold and reminded me of "Betsey Johnson meets Dali in Wonderland"...I felt energized by the decor, but others might be taken aback!

• Liked — Overall impression--lovely setting, bright decor, & nice staff
  • Disliked — Spa was too busy, not as serene as I prefer
  • Tips/Secrets — Take advantage of the facilities
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

I stayed at the greenbrier in the spring which was a lovely time to visit. There were beautiful tulips and other various flowers in full bloom. I was there for a mother daughter weekend getaway and I have to say it was perfect. We enjoyed every meal from breakfast to dinner. The chefs were on top of both quality, taste, and presentation and the wait staff was very good as well. Our room was a junior suite and had plenty of room for three women, which is saying alot. There was a large bathroom and a walk in closet. They play a free movie every night in a beautiful old theatre and we took advantage of this our first night. Our second night we went bowling which was fun but slightly overpriced. We also made a trip to the spa which we all enjoyed. My Mom and I had a lavender soak followed by a light massage. The lavender oils were very relaxing. My sister had a teenage facial which she also enjoyed. In your down time I suggest walking through the shops. There are many unique stores and some great finds. I would also recommend that you stay for a week if you can. That way you can visit the many different dining areas as well as experiencing the various activites they offer. I would definately like to return however next time I think I would enjoy going with my boyfriend. It seemed to me that it could also be very romantic as well.

• Liked — The comfort and the service
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you book your activites, dining, and spa services before you get there.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
Bridgeport, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

I enjoyed my most recent stay at the Greenbrier.

We also enjoyed a pedicure at the Spa---it was nice also.

We received a room in the West Virginia Wing. The size of the room could not be beat. We had two closets, robes for two, two very comfortable beds, with down comforters. The bathroom had double sinks and make-up table. A sliding door separated the sinks from the toilet, bidet and shower. Nice light directly over the shower. Shower had good pressure and adjustable shower head. Lighting in bathroom and bedroom was good.

Decor is by the famous Dorothy Draper and very bright and cheerful. You go away saying I didnt realize those colors matched.

Mini coffee pot, and hair dryer provided.

Dinner and Breakfast in main dinning room was great.

• Tips/Secrets — Take the Bunker Tour
  • Stayed September 2006
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

We stayed a year ago and went back, this time with our 8 month old girl. They valued our return visit and try hard to please young couples. and we got the same room as last time, a nice Spring Row Cottage toward the end of the line with quiet, a front porch and nice mountain views They accommodate you if you want dining room reservations on your schedule and if you want things in your room that are for babies. Babysitting at $8 an hour is a bargain and quite competent. We like the dining room for breakfast and dinner. Our main complaint is that outside the dining room there are not enough healthy and vegeterian options and they don't seem sensitive to this unless you ask them to make something for you (which they will). The nuclear bunker tour was fun and we enjoyed the various activities -- afternoon tea and concert, nightly dancing in the lounge, horse and carriage ride, golf buggy ride, bowling, cooking demonstrations, architectural tours on the property, and going on a holiday weekend is definitely a festival with various kinds of entertainment and free foodies all around. Often you return to a place and it is underwhelming second time around -- we were very happy and would go back again and we really had a wonderful time with our little kid and even our mother in law who came with us. Also very convenient flying in and out of Lewisburg, just a 20 minute shuttle from the hotel. Our main concern is that they are getting rid of the meal plan and going a la carte all the way -- it may drive people to pinch pennies and feel less freespirited overall unless they come up with packages that let people feel loose on their holidays. We really liked the meal plan aspect of the Greenbrier and will miss it. We also felt that service was really friendly and outgoing -- if anyone thought we wanted something, they went right out to try and do it for us.

• Liked — very nice cheerful rooms
  • Disliked — duvets instead of sheets and blankets -- they changed it when we complained though
  • Tips/Secrets — if traveling with kids, ask when booking reservations what options are available
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Greenwich , Conn.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

We went to the Greenbrier with great expectations. Obviously, this is a hotel that has rested on its laurels, or they have wilted by neglect. The entrance to the property was dull, overgrown with bushy plants and had a monotone garden.

It wasn't grand , nor beautiful , rather it was absolutely hideous in its decor. The putrid wallpaper has clusters of flowers more than a foot in width. The carpet was black, green and pink. The entrance is downstairs where you are received. Its under whelming, much like Penn station in New York.

It was a white elephant without doubt. The hallway to our room smelled like the boys lockeroom. It was foul and mildewed.

The bellmen were polite and helpful; they were the only staff worth a cent. The rest seemed to hate their jobs and seemed to grin and bear it. If you thanked them which we do as habit, they said nothing. I have yet to go to a place where the staff seemed to really dislike the guests.

Our group went to shoot and the staff again seemed to truly dislike guests and struggled to be civil. They made zero effort . The whole experience was such a let down. They ram the dress code down your throat and yet they DO NOT keep up their end of the bargain. They cut off coffee in the grand hall at 9:00. The grounds are neglected and the place is like a mangy fox thats better off put out of its misery. It needs a major overhaul and attitude adjustment. Never again. It was very expensive. I'd give it two stars . Don't go. Not worth the drive . I don't mind spending the money if its worth it. Save your money for the Homestead.

• Liked — knowing that the Homestead is around the corner. And, leaving.
  • Disliked — Ugly , over rated, over priced and unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Homestead! THis place was so over rated . It has a loyal following . Let them stay there.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

I just returned home from the Greenbrier and can't say enough good things. The staff was unbelievable. They are genuine, friendly and amazingly attentive.
I have stayed in many of the top hotels and resorts in the U.S. and abroad. The Greenbrier is at the top of the list of my favorites. The hotel is old but impecibly maintained. It is unlike any other property I have visted. There are so many activities that it is easy to keep your schedule full. Plan ahead & don't over book your activities. Enjoy what truely is the Greenbrier experience. After 4 full days , we actually decided to spend the last day of the trip doing nothing but relaxing at the pool and getting our last massages. The meals in the dining room were excellent and the service we received was spectacular. The golf courses were beautiful and the pace of play was great. A place like this is not cheap, but it is worth every penny in my opinion. I am already looking forward to coming back. I will make an annual visit, and regret that I can't make it back more often.

Stayed September 2006

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!