We went to the Greenbrier with great expectations. Obviously, this is a hotel that has rested on its laurels, or they have wilted by neglect. The entrance to the property was dull, overgrown with bushy plants and had a monotone garden.
It wasn't grand , nor beautiful , rather it was absolutely hideous in its decor. The putrid wallpaper has clusters of flowers more than a foot in width. The carpet was black, green and pink. The entrance is downstairs where you are received. Its under whelming, much like Penn station in New York.
It was a white elephant without doubt. The hallway to our room smelled like the boys lockeroom. It was foul and mildewed.
The bellmen were polite and helpful; they were the only staff worth a cent. The rest seemed to hate their jobs and seemed to grin and bear it. If you thanked them which we do as habit, they said nothing. I have yet to go to a place where the staff seemed to really dislike the guests.
Our group went to shoot and the staff again seemed to truly dislike guests and struggled to be civil. They made zero effort . The whole experience was such a let down. They ram the dress code down your throat and yet they DO NOT keep up their end of the bargain. They cut off coffee in the grand hall at 9:00. The grounds are neglected and the place is like a mangy fox thats better off put out of its misery. It needs a major overhaul and attitude adjustment. Never again. It was very expensive. I'd give it two stars . Don't go. Not worth the drive . I don't mind spending the money if its worth it. Save your money for the Homestead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv