“shock and awe” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Greenwich , Conn.
“shock and awe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

We went to the Greenbrier with great expectations. Obviously, this is a hotel that has rested on its laurels, or they have wilted by neglect. The entrance to the property was dull, overgrown with bushy plants and had a monotone garden.

It wasn't grand , nor beautiful , rather it was absolutely hideous in its decor. The putrid wallpaper has clusters of flowers more than a foot in width. The carpet was black, green and pink. The entrance is downstairs where you are received. Its under whelming, much like Penn station in New York.

It was a white elephant without doubt. The hallway to our room smelled like the boys lockeroom. It was foul and mildewed.

The bellmen were polite and helpful; they were the only staff worth a cent. The rest seemed to hate their jobs and seemed to grin and bear it. If you thanked them which we do as habit, they said nothing. I have yet to go to a place where the staff seemed to really dislike the guests.

Our group went to shoot and the staff again seemed to truly dislike guests and struggled to be civil. They made zero effort . The whole experience was such a let down. They ram the dress code down your throat and yet they DO NOT keep up their end of the bargain. They cut off coffee in the grand hall at 9:00. The grounds are neglected and the place is like a mangy fox thats better off put out of its misery. It needs a major overhaul and attitude adjustment. Never again. It was very expensive. I'd give it two stars . Don't go. Not worth the drive . I don't mind spending the money if its worth it. Save your money for the Homestead.

• Liked — knowing that the Homestead is around the corner. And, leaving.
  • Disliked — Ugly , over rated, over priced and unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Homestead! THis place was so over rated . It has a loyal following . Let them stay there.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

I just returned home from the Greenbrier and can't say enough good things. The staff was unbelievable. They are genuine, friendly and amazingly attentive.
I have stayed in many of the top hotels and resorts in the U.S. and abroad. The Greenbrier is at the top of the list of my favorites. The hotel is old but impecibly maintained. It is unlike any other property I have visted. There are so many activities that it is easy to keep your schedule full. Plan ahead & don't over book your activities. Enjoy what truely is the Greenbrier experience. After 4 full days , we actually decided to spend the last day of the trip doing nothing but relaxing at the pool and getting our last massages. The meals in the dining room were excellent and the service we received was spectacular. The golf courses were beautiful and the pace of play was great. A place like this is not cheap, but it is worth every penny in my opinion. I am already looking forward to coming back. I will make an annual visit, and regret that I can't make it back more often.

Stayed September 2006
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

This was our second visit to The Greenbrier. The decor is palatial, including the wallpaper with bright giant flowers. The outdoor landscaping is also stunning. Everything seems circa 1940s. Staff are cordial, spa is relaxing. At first I thought I would come back again and again, but our dinners were rather bland and not really worth the price, and dining room servfice was not attentive, so we probably won't return. It is a unique experience, though.

• Liked — Building and grounds, staff
  • Disliked — Mediocre food
  • Tips/Secrets — Evening dress: jacket and tie for men, dress or suit for women
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We just returned from a four day stay at the Greenbrier. I must say it was the most relaxing atmosphere I have experienced in a long time. The hotel is beautifully maintained, full of history, with gorgeous grounds. The staff was the most courteous I have encountered. Highlights of our stay were the beautiful infinity pool overlooking the golf course, horseback riding, bowling after dinner in one of the restaurants, and just wandering around taking in all the historic features of the hotel. It IS rather expensive; activities such as horseback riding, croquet, bowling, etc. come with a high price. In my opinion, it is worth it. It is a fantasyland of good food, beautiful surroundings, pampering, and a wide range of activities. We will return if our budget allows.

Stayed June 2006
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

There is not a place in the world better than The Greenbrier Resort. We have stayed there twice (July 2005, July 2006) and plan to go back at least once a year, it never gets old! I have heard of many people that are worried to go to such a high class resort with teenagers, but trust me (I'm 15) they will love it. Sure there is a dress code, collared shirts and walking (Bermuda) shorts during the day (no jeans or t-shirts allowed), and jacket and tie after six, but with everyone else dressed like that, you dont feel like you are over-dressed(if you were in jeans and a t-shirt you would feel extremely under-dressed and would stick out of the crowd). I love the elegance in the decor of The Greenbrier, very high class, as if you were royalty. The food in the Main dining room is superb and breakfast in Drapers Cafe is the best anywhere! I love to golf and The Greenbrier has three courses for you to enjoy. I am also a competitive swimmer, so the indoor pool with a lane sectioned off is perfect. If you go. you will be immensly satisfied with the fantastic dining, recreation, and service found at The Greenbrier Resort!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florence, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I just returned from a visit to the Greenbrier and must say that it still is THE best resort in America! I must confess that I am a repeat customer, so I may be a little biased. However, with multiple trips you would think a hotel would be bound to slip up. Not the Greenbrier, note even once. This visit was no exception. The hotel still "wows" you with its over-the-top decor. The grounds were still immaculate and impresive. The food was still excellent. I jst can't say enough for this place. It is the place to go to live it up. In my humble opinion, the chain elites of Four Seaons and Ritz-Carlton don't have a property that can even come close to comparing in beauty, style, and ambiance. The service is consistently great. Just yesterday before my family and I departed we had lunch in Draper's Cafe ( try the fried green tomatoe sandwich- LOVE it). As the waiter was taking our drink orders, we commented on being in the "South" and not having sweet tea. We are proud Southerners who like our tea sweet as syrup. Our waiter overheard our comment and quickly showed up with a pitcher of good ole southern sweet tea (not on the menu). It was just as good as grandma's. After lunch as we were leaving, he handed us a gift bag full of the tea leaves for us to brew at home or in our rooms at no charge. It is the little things! Also, one other high note of our visit... The Greenbirer is famous (or infamous) for its bold use of color in decorating. We actually had the pleasure of spending time with Carleton Varney, Greenbrier's decorator who was visiting the hotel for the weekend. Unless you spend lots of time reading Architectural Digest or Veranda magazine and the like, you may not know who Carleton Varney is. He actually took over Dorothy Draper's comapny and is still decorating today. If the name Dorothy Draper doesn't ring a bell, just visit the Greenbrier and she will become permanently etched into your memory. While visiting with Carleton, he told us the story behind two chairs that he had designed for Princess Grace of Monaco. These two chairs now sit in a room of the Greenbrier underneath Princess Grace's portrait. I could go on forever... Just go, you'll love it.

Stayed July 2006
Wall Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

We just returned from a four day stay at the Greenbrier. We had a great time. We stayed in the lovely and large Spring Meadow cotteges-a great choose for families.
I can not say enough about the wondeful staff and the excellent food. We ate two nights at the main dining room and two nights at Sam Sneeds. Both great, but we got tired of dressing up for the main dining room. Try the brisket at Sam Sneeds --no way could any one finish that huge portion ! But boy it is woth trying to finish as it was delicious. Lunch at Drapers was great but is very expensive. The fried green tomato sandwich was so good I had it two days in a row. We also enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Drapers.
We played golf on both the Meadows course and Old White. They were really good courses and VERY pretty. We also went horesbackriding and skeet shooting. All activities are well run and worth the money. What I though was overpriced were things like bowling for $7 per person per game-- this should be a free activity and bottles of water for $3.50 on the golf course - ridiculously overpriced.
The insane thing about this place is no one says anything about the wild decor. The wallpaper is totally from the 60's or 70's at best. The look is SO over the top., huge florals , plastic upolstry in the lounge bar, a black, red and green color scheme in the lobby and the strangest loudest carpets I have ever seen. I thought this place was going to be very waspy, classy and sedate--not the case. The decor is like an elephant in the room !

• Stayed April 2006

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!