“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in White Sulphur Springs
The Greenbrier
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
West Tennessee
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We just returned from a four day stay at the Greenbrier. I must say it was the most relaxing atmosphere I have experienced in a long time. The hotel is beautifully maintained, full of history, with gorgeous grounds. The staff was the most courteous I have encountered. Highlights of our stay were the beautiful infinity pool overlooking the golf course, horseback riding, bowling after dinner in one of the restaurants, and just wandering around taking in all the historic features of the hotel. It IS rather expensive; activities such as horseback riding, croquet, bowling, etc. come with a high price. In my opinion, it is worth it. It is a fantasyland of good food, beautiful surroundings, pampering, and a wide range of activities. We will return if our budget allows.

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

There is not a place in the world better than The Greenbrier Resort. We have stayed there twice (July 2005, July 2006) and plan to go back at least once a year, it never gets old! I have heard of many people that are worried to go to such a high class resort with teenagers, but trust me (I'm 15) they will love it. Sure there is a dress code, collared shirts and walking (Bermuda) shorts during the day (no jeans or t-shirts allowed), and jacket and tie after six, but with everyone else dressed like that, you dont feel like you are over-dressed(if you were in jeans and a t-shirt you would feel extremely under-dressed and would stick out of the crowd). I love the elegance in the decor of The Greenbrier, very high class, as if you were royalty. The food in the Main dining room is superb and breakfast in Drapers Cafe is the best anywhere! I love to golf and The Greenbrier has three courses for you to enjoy. I am also a competitive swimmer, so the indoor pool with a lane sectioned off is perfect. If you go. you will be immensly satisfied with the fantastic dining, recreation, and service found at The Greenbrier Resort!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florence, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I just returned from a visit to the Greenbrier and must say that it still is THE best resort in America! I must confess that I am a repeat customer, so I may be a little biased. However, with multiple trips you would think a hotel would be bound to slip up. Not the Greenbrier, note even once. This visit was no exception. The hotel still "wows" you with its over-the-top decor. The grounds were still immaculate and impresive. The food was still excellent. I jst can't say enough for this place. It is the place to go to live it up. In my humble opinion, the chain elites of Four Seaons and Ritz-Carlton don't have a property that can even come close to comparing in beauty, style, and ambiance. The service is consistently great. Just yesterday before my family and I departed we had lunch in Draper's Cafe ( try the fried green tomatoe sandwich- LOVE it). As the waiter was taking our drink orders, we commented on being in the "South" and not having sweet tea. We are proud Southerners who like our tea sweet as syrup. Our waiter overheard our comment and quickly showed up with a pitcher of good ole southern sweet tea (not on the menu). It was just as good as grandma's. After lunch as we were leaving, he handed us a gift bag full of the tea leaves for us to brew at home or in our rooms at no charge. It is the little things! Also, one other high note of our visit... The Greenbirer is famous (or infamous) for its bold use of color in decorating. We actually had the pleasure of spending time with Carleton Varney, Greenbrier's decorator who was visiting the hotel for the weekend. Unless you spend lots of time reading Architectural Digest or Veranda magazine and the like, you may not know who Carleton Varney is. He actually took over Dorothy Draper's comapny and is still decorating today. If the name Dorothy Draper doesn't ring a bell, just visit the Greenbrier and she will become permanently etched into your memory. While visiting with Carleton, he told us the story behind two chairs that he had designed for Princess Grace of Monaco. These two chairs now sit in a room of the Greenbrier underneath Princess Grace's portrait. I could go on forever... Just go, you'll love it.

Stayed July 2006
Wall Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

We just returned from a four day stay at the Greenbrier. We had a great time. We stayed in the lovely and large Spring Meadow cotteges-a great choose for families.
I can not say enough about the wondeful staff and the excellent food. We ate two nights at the main dining room and two nights at Sam Sneeds. Both great, but we got tired of dressing up for the main dining room. Try the brisket at Sam Sneeds --no way could any one finish that huge portion ! But boy it is woth trying to finish as it was delicious. Lunch at Drapers was great but is very expensive. The fried green tomato sandwich was so good I had it two days in a row. We also enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Drapers.
We played golf on both the Meadows course and Old White. They were really good courses and VERY pretty. We also went horesbackriding and skeet shooting. All activities are well run and worth the money. What I though was overpriced were things like bowling for $7 per person per game-- this should be a free activity and bottles of water for $3.50 on the golf course - ridiculously overpriced.
The insane thing about this place is no one says anything about the wild decor. The wallpaper is totally from the 60's or 70's at best. The look is SO over the top., huge florals , plastic upolstry in the lounge bar, a black, red and green color scheme in the lobby and the strangest loudest carpets I have ever seen. I thought this place was going to be very waspy, classy and sedate--not the case. The decor is like an elephant in the room !

Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

Be very careful when you make your spa and restaurant reservations; the people who take them apparently do not communicate with the service providers. Several surprisingly unpleasant and disappointing post- reservations and requests spa and restaurant experiences, in light of the Greenbrier Hotel's claimed reputation for service and accommodating guests. The daily buffet breakfast at Draper's on the hotel first floor is shockingly overpriced, and not posted anywhere until you are presented the bill. We had a nice extended weekend visit that could have been far better.

Columbia, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

I just returned from a two night visit at the Greenbrier. I wish that I was warned that almost ALL of their guests check out by Sunday afternoon. My husband and I didn't check out until Monday afternoon, and quickly discovered what it meant to be in a empty resort. It was eerily quiet, and quite like a scene out of The Shining. Walking down all of their empty hallways that are darkly lit, I was waiting for a kid to start whispering red rum. Siince almost all of their guests check out on Sundays, a LOT of the regular activities are not offered that day. Staff was diminished, and it seemed as though their attentiveness and smiles diminished too. Dinner was spent at Sam Sneads, but we were only one of two couples in there. Even with not much to do, I thought that the Greenbrier was still a nice way to relax and just get away from the city life...I was mistaken. Being the planner that I am, I read one of the past reviews where one of the reviewers stated that it was hard to sleep with the trains going by. What an understatement. Even though I brought my ear plugs, it did not help. The train across the street went by at least every hour and 15 minutes, all the while blowing it's whistle all the way through town. I called the front desk and they kindly moved me to what they called the furthest room from the train. There was maybe a 20 percent improvement. Overall it was enjoyable just to get away and see the pretty landscape, but I certainly wouldn't classify this resort as being five star.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

After a few days at the nemacolin we drove to the greenbrier and I was expecting to be disappointed. I love old grand hotels but they always seem to be in some type of disrepair. The photos of the resort do not convey its magnitude , it is stunning to drive up to main entrance and the resort is in superb condition. The grandeur of the resort is amazing. Now our upgraded room was $360 per night, but there is a $19 pp charge for the resort and tipping and the meal plan is $100 pp (breakfast and dinner.. no drinks), at least the kids eat free. So not much change of out $650 per night for a family of 4.

The room was nice but did not compare to the nemacolin, then again, it should not, given the age of the resort. It was perfectly adequate. We opted for a sulphur soak for $40 each to check out the spa and it was enjoyable, it was clean and updated in a historic sense. The indoor pool was unbelievable, an olympic size pool with 9 foot deep end and extended shallow end for the little ones. Loved the swimming costume dryer in the change room. Walked down to sam sneads for dinner through the gardens and the restaurant looks out over the course which was in full bloom. The meals were excellent and got a shuttle back to the main entrance.

The kids in the kids club again and they raved over it, it was run by more seasoned professionals than just young people. We played the greenbrier course $185 pp and it is great old course, just a little surprised a few holes are squeezed in near a busy road. They have nice outdoor pool but was just opening up in few days and the morning walking tour took you out past the old white golf course which looked better than the greenbrier golf course to me.

My spouse took the free tour of the resort and enjoyed leaning about the extensive history of the resort. They have a great cinema and decent shopping and afternoon tea. We were worried about the mini desserts having nuts in them during the afternoon tea, and they brought cookies just for our son. Well done, nothing like having tea sitting in couches listening to people play the violin and piano. We are only in our early 40s but still enjoy the classics.

Breakfast was in the main dining room which was very nice, had trout and some quiches. We had dinner Sam snead's both nights and avoided having to dress formally in the main restaurant. Service was great and friendly. Plenty of pictures/info on Sam Snead all through out the restaurant. Also not fair to spoil other people special night in main dining room with young kids.

Eldest son 7, did the introductory falconry training on the day we left, he enjoyed it immensely.

So we ended up spending $2k for 2 night, which is not cheap but have no regrets about it. Would love to take my mother here one day, she would love it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Quality Inn Covington
Quality Inn Covington
#4 of 5 in Covington
3.5 of 5 stars 48 reviews

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!