“never again!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in White Sulphur Springs
The Greenbrier
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sylvania, Ohio
“never again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

I was disappointed all the way around. It started off with a bell hop who couldn't help with my luggage, because he was "going to be busy soon unloading a bus that is due anytime". They wouldn't even hold the door. Our room had ugly yellow roses on all four walls and shamrock green carpeting. It was so bad I had nightmares...really! The decor for the entire hotel was garish. We toured the fallout shelter and it was disappointing. It mostly shows the maintenance side of things.... boring for a woman and not worth $30. The sulphur bath was great, but it was the worst pedicure I've ever had!

• Stayed October 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

The resort itself is a wonderful destination for a high end getaway.
The ambiance and décor are unmatched, it truly feels like the special place that it is. The staffs as a whole were also extremely helpful and polite.
However, the food offered at the Greenbrier is mediocre at best. Drapers café offers lunch and dinner options that are below standard for such a resort. My wife ordered chicken pasta, which turned out to be cut up breaded chicken and box pasta with some sauce thrown over it. What happened to fresh pasta, fresh produce and quality prepared chicken?
Prime 44 West steak house is the Greenbriers newest culinary addition.
With our orders placed for medium rare and medium bone in ribeye ($60), two steaks appeared thirty minutes later, one of which was a quality, steak house steak 1 ½” Pittsburg style steak perfectly cooked. The other was an Applebee’s style steak ¾” thick and overcooked almost steamed, needles to say it went back to be exchanged for a new one. Twenty five minuets later, after everyone in our party had finished eating, another Applebee’s style ¾” thick and overcooked almost steamed steak appeared. This time it went back for good. After eating my friend’s leftovers and finishing my $20 glass of wine I left disappointed. The thing is, when you claim to be a steak house in a 5 star resort the steak you serve had better be good, it was not.
Our last food mistake was eating frozen pizza and chicken nuggets passed off as wings in the Tavern casino ($55)
The moral of the story is, when you pay for good food, you expect good food!
The Greenbrier is way off the mark with its food. The new owner needs to invest in half a dozen top quality chefs that serve fresh honest good quality food not the fancy pretentious menu they currently have. Why would you invest millions on a new casino when you have below average food?

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

The Greenbrier is a must-do transport back in time. Despite the beauty of this classic resort, the main hotel/grounds are marred by current construction to build a new underground mega- casino. There are plans to build new golf courses and many new homes. The charm and seclusion can't last much longer. All the employees are extremely supportive of the new owner and the casino. Though a little bit worn, the place still oozes charm. Though undeniably gaudy by modern standards, I wouldn't update the look. The hotel and its employees make the place special despite the inconvenience of the construction. I do have one major complaint: the food is (exhorbitantly) priced inversely proportionate to its (inferior) quality. Both the main dining room and bar have great ambiance, but I really had to shake my head at the low quality , bland taste, and lack of presentation of the food in both. Terrible. The town of White Sulphur Springs literally has NOTHING, so unless you want to drive into Lewisburg, which you don't because you want to be wrapped in the time warp, you are stuck with less than mediocre dining options. One does not go to the Greenbrier looking for a bargain, but for quality. While I am no fan of the all-inclusive, give me a break on the nickel and diming.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
New England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

The ole girl is on the decline.. The casino is tacky.. the rooms use to sparkle now they are headed down hill.. clean but not what they were. they are beginning to look worn and reflect a lack of attention. Hope she doesn't become Grey Gardens.. like. New owner is building a huge casino size of a football field and the elegant but fun resort is going to become Branson Mo. and 59.00 rates.. It won't last long

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

1st time visitor on recent Tribute to Virginias package. Drastically reduced room prices and 20% off of activities. It is still not a cheap weekend by any means. At check-in, to which we were cheerfully directed by at least 3 persons, we are informed by the young desk clerk that we were very lucky as we had been placed in The Presidential Suite. Frankly, I did not know the significance of that. We soon learned that we had two floors of history, original volume literature, art, antiques, a private patio, grand piano, and Ike's autograph all to ourselves. How cool. We have no earthly idea why, in a largely packed resort, we have the best room there for the price of $84 per night. I played golf and, met some good folks on a perfectly kept golf course, The Meadows. I was underwhelmed by the service at the Golf facility, but that is minor.
We had one dinner as a Tribute to the Virginias buffet. The salads, sides and meats were ok, the desserts were fantastic. Having grown up in WV, country cooking just isn't my favorite for eating out. Second dinner was a late reservation at Prime 44 West, the new steakhouse, The complimentary cornbread was an especially nice touch. Food and service were top notch, everything you expect from a really good upscale steakhouse. Afternoon Tea at was an event, the main lobby areas full with mulitple tea and cookie stations with a grand piano in the backround. The Lobby Bar made us fantastic, albeit pricey, Bellini Martinis The new Tavern Casino is very small by casino standards but has a different, classier atmosphere than most casinos. If they can maintain that atmospher in the under-construction casino, it will be like no other casino in the country. No comp drinks but didn't lose money. The Greenbrier makes clear that there is a dress code. However, we noticed it repeatedly breached by many, no doubt the Tribute package brought a lot of first time visitors. Everyone is made to feel comfortable and important by the staff. The staff are mostly local West Virginians so we were right at home. The Sommelier, Lori, was so nice to us and a true pleasure to meet. She stopped us the next day just to ask how we were enjoying our stay. The decor is a little strange at first but the longer you are there the more you understand how it all fits together. The Bunker Tour is a history buff's dream. We did a little shopping and purchased one truly unique leather item. Everyone should bring comfortable walking shoes is a lesson my wife learned. In short, we had a truly memorable experience that you cannot place a price upon. We were fortunate that Jim Justice allowed new visitors to experience The Greenbrier. If nothing else, I am convinced that historical, grand treasures like it must survive. Staying two nights in the Presidential Suite, listening to Wynton Marsalis playing Christmas jazz in the suite's study, my wife and I getting dressed up, and going out to dinner and the casino. Though I am sure that I will never have such accomodations again. we will be going back. It is truly an escape from the real world. In a fully booked hotel, the place just never seemed crowded. That is my highest complimnet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
fayetteville, nc usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Second time visitor. So much to do but all is just timing to await your next meal or drink prices and amenities
Wonderful health club but no ability to wash down the machines pre and post exercise and in time of H1N1 this seems short-sighted.l
Drinks at $4 for well drinks and $11wine. $7 beer were daunting. Wont go back

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Lookout Mountain Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

My wife and I visited this hotel for 3 nights starting on the 30th of October. This was our third trip to the Greenbrier and our first that was not in the winter. The leaves were pretty much gone as the lady who took our reservations warned us but the mountains and location were as lovely as ever! We ate at the Draper Cafe for dinner our first day and had the fried green tomato sandwich which, as we remembered from 2 years ago was wonderful. I wish we had split it since it is large enough for two! The Greenbrier has added a Tavern casino which was fun and had complementary hors d' oeuvers which pretty much payed us back for the money I lost playing poker (Donna won $7.50 which I heard about on the ride home to Lookout Mountain). We also enjoyed the tea at 4:15 every evening even though on Saturday one has to scramble to find a seat where you can hear the violin and piano being played. Supper was wonderful all three nights Donna had the Roasted Tomato and Asparagus Cesar Salad two nights and the smoked tomato bisque which were fantastic. For her main entree Donna had the Sea Bass with lobster and chorizo paella the first night and the second night we both had the fillet mignon with truffle sause and brazed short ribs in a merlot sauce. The third night Donna had the asparagus and eggplant lasgna while I had a fillet with truffles and a wild mushroom crepe. For soup I had the five onion soup, wild mushroom consumme and the tomato bisque the three nights. On my first night I had a scallop dish which was so good I cant remember anything more about it! We were unable to try the dessert menu until the 3rd night having filled up on Irish soda bread (which they will give you the recipe for if you ask, and you should ask, trust me)! The only dessert we tried was the Cocoanut pound cake and the Bread Pudding which were both wonderfull (again we could have split one). At the end of every Supper they gave us small cookies, fudge and homeade mints which were fabulous but on a full stomach hard to look at. Donna tried the Greenbrier signature drink a Peach Bellini Martini which she pronounced Wonderful! Just to be fair, drinks are in the $14.00 minimum range and some offerings are (to me at any rate) astronomical! Apparently, we were not the only ones who thought so as evidenced by the smuggling of wine which we witnessed out of trunks in the parking areas. Activities are rather expensive as can be imagined but I enjoyed the beginner falconry class which I took on our second day. We were very pleased with the service as usual which is prompt and friendly. The Greenbrier looks just as we remembered from 2 years ago and the updated have been done in a tastefull manner. Both of us were very pleased that the Dorothy Draper decor in the lobby and hallways has been left unchanged and no turned into a generic high end resort. All in all, we had a wonderful time and look forward to our next visit

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!