“Christmas Wonderland” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Virginia beach, virginia
“Christmas Wonderland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2005

We stayed at the Greenbrier for 2 nights just before Christmas, in a cottage on Spring Row. It was like being in a Christmas wonderland from the moment we arrived. Beautiful, live Christmas trees everywhere - indoors and out, gracious service, lovely accomodations and delicious food served beautifully. After checking into our 1 bedroom cottage, we lit a fire and were relaxing before dinner, when our doorbell rang. At the door was a Greenbrier staff person, who welcomed us to the resort and presented us with a beautiful red pointsettia and a large box of scrumptous, homemade chocolates, accompanied with a note addressed to us, by name, welcoming us and wishing us a happy holiday and a wonderful stay. The next morning, while enjoying coffee by the fireplace, which worked perfectly, we heard the sound of jingle bells. Looking out to the park in front of our cottage, we saw a beautiful horse drawn sleigh with 6 people enjoying their ride, wrapped in plaid lap blankets. What a beautiful sight! Our dinners in the main dinig room and the Sam Snead room were delicious. One night we went to the Old White Club, in the main building, where we heard a wonderful jazz trio with a fabulous singer - Jane L. Powell. We plan to return next year and will bring all the children, ages 3 to 20, to stay for several days, including Christmas day. I can't imagine anyplace better to enjoy the holidays with family and friends. There's something for everyone! And we'll be sure to take a sleigh ride.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

My family stayed at the GB for Thanksgiving and had a very enjoyable 3-day stay. The lovely, if over-the-top, decor made it seem truly like a stay out of workaday reality, just what we wanted. Staff were friendly but refreshingly unobtrusive, didn't hover, introduce themselves endlessly, etc., just got the job done. I used the spa services twice and found the facial and massage both excellent. The spa facility, as most of the hotel, is older, but to me the "step back in time" was just fine, and everything was spotless, no small achievement in such a large, old building. Attention to detail everywhere. The food was terrific, we all agreed. There were numerous activities, certainly plenty for a 3-day stay. We'll go back for a winter weekend, when rates are lower, but the holiday experience is one we'll probably repeat, also.

Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2005

I was surprised to read several negative reviews of the Greenbrier recently in this forum. I've had excellent meals there several times over the years, but for Thanksgiving 2005 I stayed for three nights with relatives, and we all loved it. The resort was at capacity--1,800 guests and 1,800 staff. Little kids and teenagers had their own activities. We're not golfers, so we chose the 1950s nuclear bunker history lectures, current movies nightly, swimming in a big 1912 pool, spa treatments, falconry lessons, shopping onsite, Antiques Roadshow talks, live music groups and a handbell choir. Meals were elegant--modified American plan rate includes full breakfast and dinner, and you won't want anything more. Our rooms in the West Va. wing were large, comfortable, well-appointed and spotlessly clean, with linens changed daily. The walk to the main hotel was long, though, and elevators were slow. I enjoyed the complimentary USA Today and Internet access. Overall, the experience was quite similar to a high-class ocean cruise, without mal de mer. Try the Greenbrier for a winter weekend when, I understand, prices are very affordable for so much luxury.

Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

The Greenbrier is a wonderful experience however, certain portions are overated. The staff is very accomodating and most happy to meet your needs. The facility although, an older facility is spotless and well maintained. Skip the spa, too pricey for their poor staff, who would not make a 1 star hotel look good. Do enjoy the pool, bowling alley and an abundance of shopping. With exception to your room and meal plan The Greenbrier does not have to be as an expensive of a get-away as most portray. You do not have to participate in all of the extras, only if you choose. There are lots of complimetary amenities that are included in your room, such as, complimentary coffee/tea service in the lobby, newspaper delivery to the room, ice service, etc. Everyone should visit atleast once.

Stayed November 2005
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

This was our third trip to the Greenbrier. We live in DC and this has become a favorite long-weekend spot for us in the autumn.

The highlights: Bunker Tour, Sporting Clays (incredible course and very helpful guide there), dinner and lunch at both the Old White Room and Sam Sneads. Service and food were excellent in both places. The grounds are GORGEOUS and we enjoyed the beautiful weather and did a lot of walking around. Loved having our MAP breakfasts delivered to our rooms, especially on days we had to start in jeans (Sporting Clays).

Some challenges:

Noise: On Friday morning at 9am, there was a jackhammer outside our door. Perhaps they felt it was ok, since after 9am, but we had come in the night before and were looking forward to sleeping in a little. Also, we were in a room where every time the plumbing was used in the adjoining room, heard very loud and squeaky pipes.

Drapers: Food was good, but service was TERRIBLE. Took us 1 hr to get our lunch served. Granted, there was a convention and many conventioneers went there for lunch, but you'd think they would have prepared to accommodate the large crowds. When we were sat at the table, still some crumbs and the previous person's check on the table. Just something I wouldn't have expected at the Greenbrier. Meanwhile, lunch at Sam Sneads was elegant, beautiful view, and impeccable service/cleanliness. We would definitely skip Drapers next time.

General: This is a big place, and there was a convention going on when we were there, so I don't believe this is the kind of place you'd go to if you want "personalized" experience (like the Boulders in AZ, where everyone seems to know your name!). Though service was above average almost everywhere, it was definitely impersonal. One exception: one afternoon we came back to the room to discover a note and chocalate/flowers from management, which we expect is because we were return customers? That was a nice touch.

I also agree with a previous poster about the comforters in the rooms; a little outdated and would love to see a big fluffy down one next time we're there! Bathroom amenities are great at the Greenbrier, by the way. Nightlight, shoe-horn - both came in very handy!

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

I spent the past weekend at the Greenbrier with my wife. We have visited at least once a year for the past 4 years (I have been 3x this yr). It is simply a fantastic place . . . the staff is fantastic (I could go on with many stories about exceptional service that I have received), the food is excellent, the golf courses are beautiful and the spa is wonderful. The decor is very bold. I can understand how some may not like the decor, but I love that the Hotel as kept the style of Dorothy Draper instead of chasing the lastest tan & off white combination. I like to stay in one of the cottages, but it doesn't matter too much to me b/c I spend very little time in the room. If you have not visited before figure out what activites you want to do otherwise the choices will be overwhelming. I always play golf, visit the spa, go mountain biking and fly fish in the spring time. After all of our visits there are still acitivities that my wife and I still have not tried. We bring our kids with us very often (ages 8 & 6) and they have a great time. If you are on a tight budget this is not the place for you. If you want to experience a classic hotel I recommend it highly!

Bethesda, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

I have heard about The Greenbrier for years and had always wanted to check it out. My husband and I decided to go for our anniversary. We got the golf package which also included meals. With its reputation and high price tag, I expected top of the line. While the food was excellent, the service was just barely average. The staff also wasn't very accomodating and didn't impress us at all. For the same price (or even less), you could do much better at some of the other resorts in the US. We have been more impressed at some other more commercial resorts such as those offered by Marriott.

The rooms are not that impressive, the bathrooms small and the air conditioning was so loud that you couldn't even keep it running at night or it would keep you up. Speaking of noise at night, the resort is located near a train track. Passing trains throughout the night blow their whistle and making quite a bit of noise. You don't have to be a light sleeper to be woken up by this noise.

We spent Saturday night at the bar which allowed smoking of both cigarretes and cigars yet had no ventilation! The smell stayed with us and was in our clothes and hair. The most bizarre thing that happened was when we were at the bar for lunch. This is one of only 2 places for lunch at this time. They proceeded to tell us that they ran out of food and it would be a bit of a wait for them to get the food. I had never had heard of such a thing!

I could go on and on about the little problems and customer service issues that we experienced, but the net is The Greenbrier is not a good value and did not meet our expectations for a 5 star resort.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!