“Great Activities, Mixed Service” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Maryland
“Great Activities, Mixed Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

This was our third trip to the Greenbrier. We live in DC and this has become a favorite long-weekend spot for us in the autumn.

The highlights: Bunker Tour, Sporting Clays (incredible course and very helpful guide there), dinner and lunch at both the Old White Room and Sam Sneads. Service and food were excellent in both places. The grounds are GORGEOUS and we enjoyed the beautiful weather and did a lot of walking around. Loved having our MAP breakfasts delivered to our rooms, especially on days we had to start in jeans (Sporting Clays).

Some challenges:

Noise: On Friday morning at 9am, there was a jackhammer outside our door. Perhaps they felt it was ok, since after 9am, but we had come in the night before and were looking forward to sleeping in a little. Also, we were in a room where every time the plumbing was used in the adjoining room, heard very loud and squeaky pipes.

Drapers: Food was good, but service was TERRIBLE. Took us 1 hr to get our lunch served. Granted, there was a convention and many conventioneers went there for lunch, but you'd think they would have prepared to accommodate the large crowds. When we were sat at the table, still some crumbs and the previous person's check on the table. Just something I wouldn't have expected at the Greenbrier. Meanwhile, lunch at Sam Sneads was elegant, beautiful view, and impeccable service/cleanliness. We would definitely skip Drapers next time.

General: This is a big place, and there was a convention going on when we were there, so I don't believe this is the kind of place you'd go to if you want "personalized" experience (like the Boulders in AZ, where everyone seems to know your name!). Though service was above average almost everywhere, it was definitely impersonal. One exception: one afternoon we came back to the room to discover a note and chocalate/flowers from management, which we expect is because we were return customers? That was a nice touch.

I also agree with a previous poster about the comforters in the rooms; a little outdated and would love to see a big fluffy down one next time we're there! Bathroom amenities are great at the Greenbrier, by the way. Nightlight, shoe-horn - both came in very handy!

• Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

I spent the past weekend at the Greenbrier with my wife. We have visited at least once a year for the past 4 years (I have been 3x this yr). It is simply a fantastic place . . . the staff is fantastic (I could go on with many stories about exceptional service that I have received), the food is excellent, the golf courses are beautiful and the spa is wonderful. The decor is very bold. I can understand how some may not like the decor, but I love that the Hotel as kept the style of Dorothy Draper instead of chasing the lastest tan & off white combination. I like to stay in one of the cottages, but it doesn't matter too much to me b/c I spend very little time in the room. If you have not visited before figure out what activites you want to do otherwise the choices will be overwhelming. I always play golf, visit the spa, go mountain biking and fly fish in the spring time. After all of our visits there are still acitivities that my wife and I still have not tried. We bring our kids with us very often (ages 8 & 6) and they have a great time. If you are on a tight budget this is not the place for you. If you want to experience a classic hotel I recommend it highly!

Bethesda, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

I have heard about The Greenbrier for years and had always wanted to check it out. My husband and I decided to go for our anniversary. We got the golf package which also included meals. With its reputation and high price tag, I expected top of the line. While the food was excellent, the service was just barely average. The staff also wasn't very accomodating and didn't impress us at all. For the same price (or even less), you could do much better at some of the other resorts in the US. We have been more impressed at some other more commercial resorts such as those offered by Marriott.

The rooms are not that impressive, the bathrooms small and the air conditioning was so loud that you couldn't even keep it running at night or it would keep you up. Speaking of noise at night, the resort is located near a train track. Passing trains throughout the night blow their whistle and making quite a bit of noise. You don't have to be a light sleeper to be woken up by this noise.

We spent Saturday night at the bar which allowed smoking of both cigarretes and cigars yet had no ventilation! The smell stayed with us and was in our clothes and hair. The most bizarre thing that happened was when we were at the bar for lunch. This is one of only 2 places for lunch at this time. They proceeded to tell us that they ran out of food and it would be a bit of a wait for them to get the food. I had never had heard of such a thing!

I could go on and on about the little problems and customer service issues that we experienced, but the net is The Greenbrier is not a good value and did not meet our expectations for a 5 star resort.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed in a "Superior" room for two days at the Greenbier and overall were most pleased with our visit. Our room was very large and the bed was most comfortable. The furniture though was quite second rate and the wallpaper rather unpleasant. We found the staff to be helpful and very courteous though the service in the main dining room was poor. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the entertainment in the Lounge is first rate. We much enjoyed the grounds and found the"Museum" building of particular interest.
All in all, a must stop for anyone visiting this part of the country

• Stayed October 2005
washington, d.c.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

This place is decorated like a 1950's art deco Miami interior designer gone mad. It's carpets, furniture and draperies - yes drapes everywhere - are very bright pinks and aquas in wild patterns and that are just so dated and funny. It feels like a cross between the hotel in The Shining and someplace Father Knows Best would take his family in the 50's. How do I describe it? It's unlike any place you have ever seen. It is very well kept up and super high quality and nice but so old school "Waspy" money. The indoor pool next to the ice cream parlor made me feel like I was living in a 1950's soap opera. The spa is out of this world fabulous. You must partake in the spa!! Dinner is so formal, the women don't get prices on their menus (god forbid women see the price of an entree- our precious eyes!) and a set waiter who helps you each night the same person mind you, and entrees like Shrimp scampi, or Chicken a la King or Beef Stroganoff. My grandmother would have DEFINITELY approved of this place. Hip it is NOT! Crazy and funny it is. It's a lot of money and rest assured it is populated with very middle America type families with money. That means kids are guaranteed to run around everywhere and if you don't belong to a nice church, you might have nothing to talk about with your neighbors. Honeymooners beware! If you can get a good rate it's worth seeing, if not, don't worry about it. Fabulous activities, tennis, croquet, biking, horseback riding, you name it but boy does your wallet hurt at the end of your stay. Go for it! You will laugh and enjoy yourself - I think!! Great service, of course, they always did in the '50's....I told ya so. Not your typical hotel, not even close.

Stayed March 2005
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2005

My wife and I recently stayed at the Greenbrier. What a let down. We arrived at 4:30 p.m. and were shown to our room by a poorly-trained bellman who appeared confused and then screamed "J---s Ch---t" when he misspoke during his presentation of the room. This is highly offensive behavior and is unacceptable at a hotel that bills itself as one of the premier resorts in the world!

Our room was decorated in a tacky, floral style dating to the 1980s. The towels were old and very rough on the skin and the comforter was vintage 1980. Worst of all, our tub was clogged and would not drain.

Dinner was average, but far from the exceptional cusine I have enjoyed in Washington, D.C. and New York City. The bellman mentioned that we could have an "upscale dinner" for an additional $55/person, but I felt that for $550/night, our dinner should be excellent without an additional charge. I soon learned that at the Greenbrier, nearly any service beyond a roof over your head is an additional charge. (If you want ice in your room at any time except the standard 5 p.m. delivery, expect to pay a fee!)

Since it was our anniversary, a single photo was included in our package. The photo shop had a problem with their chemicals, so we were told that the three shots they took of us would be mailed to us. We were then told to select one and return the other two or we would be charged for each additional photo even though it was their error that didn't allow us to make the selection at the hotel!

When asked upon check-out how my stay was, I related my concerns to the supervisor at the front desk. In return, I was told in a rather condescending and dismissive tone that she would inform the staff of my concerns and then she had the nerve to invite me to come again soon! This facility is far over-rated. I have stayed in Rennaisance Hotels that were far superior in accomodations, service, and cuisine! This is a metiocre facility with a staff in need of serious training in customer service. I will never be back!

• Stayed September 2005
Novi, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

We spent a wonderful six days here in August, and didn't even begin to do everything on our list. Our kids, ages 7 and 10, can't wait to return. Although extremely expensive (and the add-ons for service and activities do seem outrageous), the professional service, wonderful grounds, and abundant activities were worth it. Every member of our family rated it as one of our top three vacations (and we have vacationed at some great places worldwide). The staff made the kids feel welcome and they really enjoyed the chance to dress up for dinner. There was enough variety in the delicious meals that we never worried about eating in the Main Dining Room every night. We found the junior suite to be large enough for the family (king size bed with queen size pull-out sofa), especially since we were out golfing, fishing, etc. for most of the day.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!